• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cobra Kai Havertz: No Mercy

Will Kai prove to be a Xhaka upgrade?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

His best performances has come up top for us. And this might also have been the best we have seen of Arteta's Arsena in recent weeks.

Arteta might have to rethink his original plans for Havertz. And it could influence our summer business also.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The points we dropped to West Ham and Fulham has already proved every game matters, no point beating City or Liverpool if we then drop points against the small teams.
It's funny because in the West Ham game Havertz was banned, and Arsenal lost.

He has also for example given the assist for the winning goal against City, and played 90 minutes against Liverpool in the 3-1 win.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

He’s played good up there vs Liverpool and City

Havertz came off the bench and won a knockdown against City? This is exactly what I mean, after half a season of indifference a good run of games and many of you have seen enough.

drippin

His best performances has come up top for us. And this might also have been the best we have seen of Arteta's Arsena in recent weeks.

Arteta might have to rethink his original plans for Havertz. And it could influence our summer business also.
Original plans, there is no need to rethink anything.

Havertz is the same age as Nketiah, so was bought as the target man who is versatile. Partey-Rice-Ødegaard was the main planned midfield for this season.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
It's funny because in the West Ham game Havertz was banned, and Arsenal lost.

He has also for example given the assist for the winning goal against City, and played 90 minutes against Liverpool in the 3-1 win.
He has had some of his best performances in the big games (the 2 Liverpool home games, City in the Shield etc) but I just focused on the 'some games don't matter' comment as we really can't afford to drop points in this incredibly tight title race.

drippin

He has had some of his best performances in the big games (the 2 Liverpool at home games, City in the Shield etc) but I just focused on the 'some games don't matter' comment as we really can't afford to drop points in this incredibly tight title race.
Yeah I didn't mean you said something wrong, just added a thought about the post you answered to. Forgot to press like.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Havertz came off the bench and won a knockdown against City? This is exactly what I mean, after half a season of indifference a good run of games and many of you have seen enough.

What I don’t get is if this was for example Toney many, many people would be saying it’s fine he’s just settling in.

But because it’s Havertz it’s completely different. I think he’s been brilliant in 90% of our games, when we weren’t scoring as a team he was still doing the same things he is now…

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

What I don’t get is if this was for example Toney many, many people would be saying it’s fine he’s just settling in.

Speak for yourself, if we bought a 27/28 year old for the price he would cost who took a season to settle that's no good. That's why even though I like Toney I am not screaming he's a must buy as I appreciate the risk.

I still think the club could have bought better than Havertz and Sheffield Utd doesn't change that for me.

A lot of cope and relief because he's garnishing some results against teams we would have battered with or without him.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
He actually did everything right in here, not even a bad touch. I know it's a weak opponent but that is promising. Lots of clever plays in there. He looks so much better when not in midfield.
My only criticism of this is too many backward passes in and around the box. I feel sometimes he could try round the corner flicks to runners or turn and shoot himself.

But, there is something great about the simplicity of his play when compared to Jesus.

rotateta

Speak for yourself, if we bought a 27/28 year old for the price he would cost who took a season to settle that's no good. That's why even though I like Toney I am not screaming he's a must buy as I appreciate the risk.

I still think the club could have bought better than Havertz and Sheffield Utd doesn't change that for me.

A lot of cope and relief because he's garnishing some results against teams we would have battered with or without him.
FFP is starting to make an impact, it is becoming more apparent we cannot just spend spend spend and we have to make focused purchases.

I have never really understood why so many are desperate for us to sign Toney - I get that he would be an upgrade on Eddie but this is in part as he gets to play week in week out (bar those 8 months!) and has the confidence this provides.

Havertz is proving himself much more in the false 9 position than as an 8, Rice is doing well as a more progressive midfielder with Jorginho behind him. It is pleasing we are looking to extend his contract, despite this it remains that Havertz appears best in his current role. It looks like he has elevated himself over Jesus now.

Both Havertz and Jesus suit our style of play more than Toney, I would also argue when both are fit and playing to their expected levels they are both far more effective in our set-up than Toney will be. I really doubt Toney would be happy as a bit part player.

We should not be held hostage by Brentford for a third choice striker. I would much prefer we look at a winger / striker (which Jesus is), or maybe keep with Eddie, promote Biereth if a third choice striker is deemed essential.

Man City have set the standard and they only have Haaland and Alvarez who play as out and out strikers, their strength comes from keeping everyone involved.

I feel we should give up on this number 9 plan until (like City) someone becomes available who cannot be ignored. We are top scorers in the Premiership without an out and out 9, this would not be the case if we had one.

City have Foden who can play as a false 9 if required, we have Trossard and Smith Rowe who can do the same for us if need be.

The only way we should be considering Toney is if he becomes available on a free, or like Trossard a much reduced price on the basis it is known he will not renew. I think there will be interest from the likes of Man Utd, Sp**s and Chelsea in Toney, the price will thus not be value for money and we should avoid him.

Some may argue Havertz' current form is a flash in the pan, I don't buy that. He was the best young player in the World at Leverkusen but Chelsea wrecked him, he is now confident in his abilities again and his football brain is allowing him to be devastating in his current role for us.

Havertz or Toney is a no-brainer for me, even before you take into account the latter's lack of remorse of his gambling and thus the red flag that he could do it again.

drippin

FFP is starting to make an impact, it is becoming more apparent we cannot just spend spend spend and we have to make focused purchases.

I have never really understood why so many are desperate for us to sign Toney - I get that he would be an upgrade on Eddie but this is in part as he gets to play week in week out (bar those 8 months!) and has the confidence this provides.
It's actually the opposite. If Nketiah played Toney's minutes in a league, his output would likely be worse per 90. And he can play more against tired defenders without himself being tired. Over a lengthy tiring season the output easily goes down, like we have also seen.
Havertz is proving himself much more in the false 9 position than as an 8, Rice is doing well as a more progressive midfielder with Jorginho behind him. It is pleasing we are looking to extend his contract, despite this it remains that Havertz appears best in his current role. It looks like he has elevated himself over Jesus now.

Both Havertz and Jesus suit our style of play more than Toney, I would also argue when both are fit and playing to their expected levels they are both far more effective in our set-up than Toney will be. I really doubt Toney would be happy as a bit part player.
Jesus is not a target man, and can't be trusted to stay fit, and will be used more in the wings likely. Havertz can play in midfield also.

Toney would not be a bit part player. He has very good overall play.

The key part here is your "when both are fit". Jesus hasn't been fit for ages. What if Havertz get injured also? Trossard or ESR are not title challenging false 9's. And ESR can't stay fit either.
We should not be held hostage by Brentford for a third choice striker. I would much prefer we look at a winger / striker (which Jesus is), or maybe keep with Eddie, promote Biereth if a third choice striker is deemed essential.
You can forget Biereth being good enough in the next couple of seasons. He needs to play a lot.

Arsenal won't be held hostage, it's Brentford who are in trouble with Toney. He won't renew as he has the chance to get his final move to a top club and earn big bucks and possible trophies. They will lose him for free if not selling now.
Man City have set the standard and they only have Haaland and Alvarez who play as out and out strikers, their strength comes from keeping everyone involved.
Haaland & Alvarez have not been really injury-prone like Jesus. Can't be compared.
The only way we should be considering Toney is if he becomes available on a free, or like Trossard a much reduced price on the basis it is known he will not renew. I think there will be interest from the likes of Man Utd, Sp**s and Chelsea in Toney, the price will thus not be value for money and we should avoid him.
Toney has the pedigree to choose where he wants to go. He can be likely bought for a cheap price even with interest from those clubs. And actually Sp**s is the biggest opposition currently, unless the other clubs overpay his wages a lot.
Some may argue Havertz' current form is a flash in the pan, I don't buy that. He was the best young player in the World at Leverkusen but Chelsea wrecked him, he is now confident in his abilities again and his football brain is allowing him to be devastating in his current role for us.

Havertz or Toney is a no-brainer for me, even before you take into account the latter's lack of remorse of his gambling and thus the red flag that he could do it again.
But in Havertz' last season at Chelsea his finishing was horrible. He is not a proven finisher at this point like Toney. He has the better potential than Toney of course.

drippin

Just a reminder for those who don't know, Havertz base fee was 72 million pounds for Chelsea. Then there were add-ons.

Arsenal paid 65 million pounds with add-ons for him. It looks like Havertz cost Chelsea 80 million pounds minimum with add-ons, and possibly a bit more because he won the UCL etc.

So Chelsea developed Havertz more to the target man role, and adjusted him to his bigger frame and EPL. And sold him minimum 15 million pounds cheaper to Arsenal after that. And now he is 24 years old which is nothing for a CF.

Thanks Todd! I'm sure you wouldn't have needed another CF in addition to Jackson this season.

The 21-year-old arrived at Chelsea last summer for an €80million (around £72m at the time) transfer fee which is the record for a German player.
“The fact that there are various bonuses is no secret. Kai’s success is also positive for us,” Rolfes told German outlet Kicker on Sunday.

The former Germany international did not specify the amount of money that Chelsea would have to pay.

However, Kicker estimated that the bonuses in the deal could reach up to €20m (£17.2m) in total.
It includes €10m (£8.6m) of “probable” bonuses (linked to Havertz’s number of appearances, for example) and another €10m of “improbable” bonuses.

Finishing in the top four in the Premier League and winning the Champions League fall under the latter category, and the report claims Chelsea now have to pay more than €5m (£4.3m) in bonuses after achieving both.

Tell.

I don’t know why people are saying get a LCM?

Rice has literally excelled in that position with a deeper more playmaking DM behind him.

If anything we splurge on a De Jong.
De Jong is not good as DLP. He actually might be very overrated, whatever the midfield combination he looks suspect for Barca.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Top Bottom