• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger proposed changes to football

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Henry Winter can cry on a river.
He spent years ridiculing Arsène over silly things like: winter coat, the coat zipper and Arsène's apparent "lack of respect" to opposition managers.

It's good that Wenger still lives rent free in the heads of many English journos.

One more reason why I fully support Arsène's idea .

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Henry Winter can cry on a river.
He spent years ridiculing Arsène over silly things like: winter coat, the coat zipper and Arsène's apparent "lack of respect" to opposition managers.
Never forgot how he said "a tear dripped down the face of the beautiful game" after the Keown/RVN fight at OT.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
It's madness. A Eurocup or World Cup every single summer? Already international football takes too much away from club football, which is the superior and better product. This will take way too much from it.

International football needs less time given to it, not more. There is such a simple solution to this: take away international friendlies, and add more European club football matches through a restructuring of Champions League as is proposed.

This stinks of hypocrisy from Arsène, honestly. I've read his interview and I'm sorry, there's no way he'd be supporting this if he were a club manager. Or if he had landed a job with UEFA not FIFA. The only winner in this is FIFA. The loser is football and especially club football.

(This without getting into the arguments of devaluing competitions and changing what winning a World Cup or Eurocup means historically. His argument about the USSR is nonsense. It's a **** and hollow comparison to this, where the way we compare eras of international football, of footballers themselves--when we talk about Messi vs. the next great, we can compare a player who played in 4-5 world cups to one who played in 9-10...bufff. It's a radical change, nothing like the changes in the power of countries that naturally happens with the evolution of the sport and relevant economic and geopolitical factors...his analogy is like saying well look how different eras MJ and Lebron played in when trying to explain if the NBA decided to have 2 championships a season all of sudden, FFS.)

That interview from GFFN has proper ****ed me off. Either he's a hypocritical money-grabber like the rest of them or he's all too convinced by his own absolutely facile reasoning, or both. Only MakingTrax could possibly be convinced by this idea and the (****) reasoning behind it.

Please, let the people who care about the true lifeblood and driver of football--club football, the kind that is played 90% of the season and 90% of the games, after all--save us from, what I'm sad to say, is now, people like Arsène.

Last edited:

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Wenger is a very powerful figure in FIFA now but he hasn't done anything to change the big problems in football. Instead he is proposing crazy stuff like this threads topic and being cozy with a state-owned club. I don't know why he is acting like this but it's a bitter pill to swallow.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
E-yDLXqXMAseVG-

This is a strange group, everyone from Wenger to Avram Grant; Ronaldo to Ali-Al Habsi...

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
E-yDLXqXMAseVG-

This is a strange group, everyone from Wenger to Avram Grant; Ronaldo to Ali-Al Habsi...

Arsène still looks fitter than most of them, but Roberto Carlos looks like a bouncer now :lol:

Many of them have certainly changed with age but you can still recognize them.
Who is the one on left of Grant and the one on the right of Roberto Carlos ?

Reactions: A_G

GDeep™

League is very weak
World Cup every two years makes total sense, would mean less meaningful games, and more of a chance to watch top players and top countries regularly to see who is currently the best. Would put it on par with the CL.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We have another international break in a month. Who wants to watch all this terrible football? I haven’t watched any international game over the last week.

This is the thing, at least tournaments are meaningful, no one wants to watch all this pointless crap interrupting the club season. One next month another in November it's ridiculous.

GDeep™

League is very weak
This is the thing, at least tournaments are meaningful, no one wants to watch all this pointless crap interrupting the club season. One next month another in November it's ridiculous.
Gives us more chance to watch top players for their countries, Kane and Messi in the current system have one WC in them, if we go to the new system you’ll see them both again in another WC. Neymar you, my favourite player, he has one WC in his peak currently, new system gives us two chances to watch him ball.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Klopp calling it like it is. Wenger's disingenuous talk in his interview with GFFN was really, really disappointing to see from a man of such supposed principles. But we all know how this goes...like the old Groucho Marx line, "if you don't like my principles, I've got others."

Gotta love Klopp, said it for a while, he's like Wenger 20 years ago, a great character and man and manager wrapped in one, hard to find, that.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐

Body representing 200,000 football coaches write to UEFA to say it's opposed to a biennial World Cup​

Not in full support of the suggestions. Being an Arsenal fan and African though, I'd be up for AFCON to be rescheduled to the off-season. I don't even understand why it is played during the season!

As for the World Cup, two years feels a little too frequent. Three would make more sense imo.

Changing the calendar is fine with me.

EDIT: Mods, can we do a vote? Interested to see what percentage is in favor.

Top Bottom