• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger proposed changes to football

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
So there’s one World Cup with England, France and Brazil then another one with Costa Rica, Egypt and South Korea?
Basically but they'd probably mix it up so there's enough big teams in both to keep the interest up.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Arsène is wrong about this. It shows a lack of consideration for the players' feelings. Sure they get paid a lot but they aren't machines and inevitably this will lead to burnout. They already are continually having games added to the calendar by their clubs, seemingly more travel every year and now this idea that because they prefer to play meaningful internationals than useless friendlies that this should go ahead. The reality of that is that the absolute top players will be even more burned out because they won't be rested at all in international fixtures. If all of them are meaningful, NT managers will be even more under pressure to play the best players every match. This will put clubs and NTs more at odds with one another.

I know we have a certain image of Wenger as this deeply principled man who usually has the moral high ground but this is greedy and wrong and quite frankly his willingness to be in bed with the Qataris and participate in events in Saudi Arabia for example is a bit of a stain on the humanist image that he cultivated for so long. Before anyone suggests any kind of bigotry or anything to that effect on my part, I am on record as saying that it's wrong for people to only highlight human rights abuses in countries run by brown people while they ignore them in majority white countries so let's make that clear straight away. I just really do not like what I perceive as Wenger being more influenced by Fifa than Fifa being influenced by Wenger. I would have hoped that he would have pushed them in a better direction but it seems they've pushed him in a worse one.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Basically but they'd probably mix it up so there's enough big teams in both to keep the interest up.

This sounds pretty dumb. So one World Cup could have Neymar and the other one would have MBappe?

People would just bang on about how whoever won it had it easy. International breaks need reducing but is this really the way?

Seems like a cynical ploy by FIFA to print more money and using the good reputation of Wenger to push it through.

Reactions: A_G

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Are they really dumb enough to go through with something like that? Seriously, its a ****ing joke now. And the fact that Wenger support this **** make it worse.

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

This sounds pretty dumb. So one World Cup could have Neymar and the other one would have MBappe?

People would just bang on about how whoever won it had it easy. International breaks need reducing but is this really the way?

Seems like a cynical ploy by FIFA to print more money and using the good reputation of Wenger to push it through.

He is allowing them to use his reputation.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Even if we stick with the four year WC there are merits in these proposals, not least the condensed qualification proposals and contemporaneous continental tournaments. Personally, I’d give automatic qualification for teams that make the last 16 of the previous WC to give the best teams and players more of a rest. Generally those are the players that are playing twice a week in premier leagues and the likes of the champions league. There are lots of ways to reduce stress on players.

There’s no shortage of ideas in football but generally there‘s massive resistance to change. Wenger’s ideas to try and find ways to plough more money into young footballers in developing countries will flounder because weighty organisations like FIFA and UEAFA can’t work together.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I seem to always be contrarian but I like it, if the WC is a true world champion it needs to be every two years. So much changes in football the team that won the Euros 4 years ago could be ****e now. Too much money in it, and fun for the fans. If they make these changes they should allow for two more subs a match, and cut back on the endless qualifications. If you had more subs and less qualifiers you could make it work where you address the concerns around additional strain on players. Cut down on some friendlies, qualifiers, add some subs and it can work for everyone

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Hypocritical Arsène wants to basically **** over club football (the better product, and the higher level of football, ultimately) at the expense of international football.

The guy that has always professed to be about integrity and righteousness and morals and bla bla bla...in the end he's just pursuing the interests of his firm, like everyone else.

Since no big club wanted him after Arsenal, why not? Good way to take it out on club football, this. I'm exaggerating a bit but who knows if subconsciously this feeling of rejection has an influence in such a rapid change of 'values' and 'principles'.

Anyways, just another reminder to take anyone who professes the importance of 'values' (or the famous Barça 'valors', the paradigm example) in this sport with a hefty, hefty, grain of salt.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Hypocritical Arsène wants to basically **** over club football (the better product, and the higher level of football, ultimately) at the expense of international football.

The guy that has always professed to be about integrity and righteousness and morals and bla bla bla...in the end he's just pursuing the interests of his firm, like everyone else.

Since no big club wanted him after Arsenal, why not? Good way to take it out on club football, this. I'm exaggerating a bit but who knows if subconsciously this feeling of rejection has an influence in such a rapid change of 'values' and 'principles'.

Anyways, just another reminder to take anyone who professes the importance of 'values' (or the famous Barça 'valors', the paradigm example) in this sport with a hefty, hefty, grain of salt.
:lol::lol::lol:
giphy.gif

Mod Edit: use a spoiler ffs!! people might be eating

Last edited by a moderator:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Nobody can watch the last 3 international windows and say the current layout is ok. You’ve had leagues stop/start, and the international games are terrible.

Even if you’re against the new WC idea, you can’t be happy with how things are currently.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I seem to always be contrarian but I like it, if the WC is a true world champion it needs to be every two years. So much changes in football the team that won the Euros 4 years ago could be ****e now. Too much money in it, and fun for the fans. If they make these changes they should allow for two more subs a match, and cut back on the endless qualifications. If you had more subs and less qualifiers you could make it work where you address the concerns around additional strain on players. Cut down on some friendlies, qualifiers, add some subs and it can work for everyone
There are fewer qualification games in this proposal than the current set up. The idea is to untangle a congested calendar and give more opportunities to plough money back to grass roots football in under developed countries. The African Confederation (CAF) has backed the study and there is a growing support in Asia, so UEFA has a battle on its hands.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Even if you’re against the new WC idea, you can’t be happy with how things are currently.
Absolutely. Remove international friendlies, greatly reduce international breaks. With that extra time give international teams extra time in big tournament years to spend how they like (training, friendlies, where managers can actually work with these players over a consistent 2-3 week period and establish some kind of tactical identity, where international tactical level might not just be a b tactical league where Luis Enrique looks like a rich man's Pep Guardiola and Roberto Martínez like a competent manager).

Wenger's proposal is the opposite of that and just idiotic, and clearly interest-driven. That he tries in the most facile way to sell it as something else is honestly an insult to everyone bar this forum's resident Wenger cultist's intelligence.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

There are fewer qualification games in this proposal than the current set up. The idea is to untangle a congested calendar and give more opportunities to plough money back to grass roots football in under developed countries. The African Confederation (CAF) has backed the study and there is a growing support in Asia, so UEFA has a battle on its hands.

FIFA is a corrupt organisation. There is no nice values behind this despicable idea.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

FIFA is a corrupt organisation. There is no nice values behind this despicable idea.
Why is it despicable? By having just two international breaks each year, leading clubs will see the advantages of having their players for longer and with less disruptive fixture calendars.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I don;t feel qualified to give an opinion on this. I like the WC, so more WC might be a good thing for me. However, part of why the WC is special is because it comes along once every 4 years, giving national sides to build, and raising excitement. Would having it every 2 years devalue it? Perhaps, I don't know.

How will it affect club football? I don't really know. I am not qualified to say.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I would freaking love either a WC or EUro or Copa America every damn year, hell if the schedule is too busy can the Nations league, what would be more popular a Nations league or WC or Euro. They should make it happen.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don;t feel qualified to give an opinion on this. I like the WC, so more WC might be a good thing for me. However, part of why the WC is special is because it comes along once every 4 years, giving national sides to build, and raising excitement. Would having it every 2 years devalue it? Perhaps, I don't know.

How will it affect club football? I don't really know. I am not qualified to say.
For my part, having it more often would certainly devalue it. That being said, they really need to do something with the endless qualification matches. England - San Marino 10-0 is hardly the stuff dreams are made of.

Top Bottom