• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lazio vs. Roma - Il Derby de Rome!

Soler

Established Member
Rome derby abandoned amid confusion

ROME, March 21 (Reuters) - Soccer fans fought police after the Rome 'derby' match between Lazio and AS Roma was abandoned on Sunday following a false rumour that a young boy had been killed by a police car outside the Olympic Stadium.

When supporters left the stadium there were violent clashes with the police in the surrounding area.

Fans threw flares and bottles at police who responded with tear gas during fierce clashes. The Italian news agency ANSA said fans had set up barricades in the streets.

The match was four minutes into the second half, with the score at 0-0, when a fan walked on to the pitch behind the Roma goal to interrupt the match with the rumour of the boy's death.

Both sets of players gathered in the centre circle to discuss the situation with referee Roberto Rosetti as flares rained down on riot police positioned underneath the south stand, where the majority of Roma's supporters were sitting.

The police department of Rome quickly denied the rumour via the stadium announcer, saying it was without foundation.

However, after a 15-minute delay - during which tear gas and then smoke billowed into the stadium through the exits in the south stand - the match was abandoned.

Italian Football League president Adriano Galliani told ANSA he had ordered the referee to call off the game.

'I took the decision because I was convinced that it was impossible to play,' said Galliani.

'I spoke to many people who were on the pitch and I chose the least worst solution,' he said.

PITCH INVASION

Galliani said he feared a pitch invasion and had been informed the players did not want to continue the game. The match will be replayed, he said.

The prefect of Rome, Nicola Cavaliere, said he was launching an investigation into the events.

'We are investigating how this happened. False information such as this can cause real damage,' he said.

Lazio defender Massimo Oddo said he and his team mates were initially confused by the situation.

'We didn't know what was happening until Francesco Totti came up to us and said 'we are not playing because a child is dead',' said the defender.

As supporters filed out, seats were torn up and burned. Outside the stadiume a guardhouse was set on fire during skirmishes between police and fans.

Later the incidents became more violent as fans turned on the police.

Roma, second in Serie A on 57 points, were trying to close the 10-point gap with leaders AC Milan.

Soler

Established Member
They'd have to. That'd mean Roma and Lazio would finish the season having played one less game than everyone else if there wasn't.

Double_H

Established Member
I guess Roma Fans were afraid from Losin 2 Lazio
Lazio Outplayed them in the Frist Half with 2 pentalites a Blind man can see

Did u see Cassano's Reaction when the Ref didnt stop the match after the Police Told him there is No Acciedant ??

Anders Limpar

I was there and it was not fun at all. The grand final of mine and my friends weekend trip to Rome just vanished in a cloud of teargas!! The rumour about a child being run over by the police was just a silly reason for the Ultras of both sides to run a riot at the police, something that was planned long before the game even started...

...a complete warzone outside the Olimpico with heavily armed police forces and hooligans mixed with families, women and children and men of all age trying to avoid being involved. I heard about 150 police officers was hurt in the 6 hour battle that brought shame to Italy once again...

...stupid to say the least!!

But otherwise the trip was excellent :angel

Ive heard that there bringing about new legislation that reduces the "Fans power" and it all to do with police

So both fans together (not against) decided to wage war against the peelers.

though their only italians so i doubt they can fight :lol: 8)

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Top Bottom