• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mark Van Bommel

Status
Not open for further replies.

adjie

SaViLlE_06 said:
he is a quality player

Agree folks. he's top notch. problem is, he's way too old.
two seasons ago when we tried, he's still 27. now he's 29,
i don't think it's suitable with Wenger's policy.
Why we sold Paddy at his 29 and then bring along another 29 ?

Also, he might block Diaby, Larsson and Flamini way.
I'm not really keen on this.

I think if we want to sign a MF, should be holding one.
Preparation to replace Gilberto. :(

Marquez ? Ah no way Barca will sell him now.

longrufus

Established Member
Sorry blunaz but your points are slightly unfounded. Firstly, you say that you would prefer the youngsters to play ahead of him. Yet you fail to come up with a replacement, calling Song inept and classing Flamini as decent. Hardly inspires confidence in a team that is meant to be a big club in europe.
You then go on to say Wenger has never tried Cesc and Diaby. For a very simple reason, they are both offensive minded players (albeit different styles). Neither want to sit hence the partnership would give the team no balance.
Gilberto was terrible at the start of the season, yet played constantly as there was no holding midfield cover. A team needs 2 quality players in every position. Simple.
And please the phrase 'stick with him rather than spend god knows how much' is depressingly unambitious. And God says barca are looking for around €12m.
And your justification of why Gilberto is better than Van Bommel brings one expression to mind, 'clutching at straws'. Somehow in his defense you manage to say he is poor offensivly, cant pass and is shakey. I actually like Gilberto a lot, he is a tremendous player. But Van Bommel IMO is the better player.
Gilberto does not have to fall off the face of the earth you know, its called competition for places, and is actually a good thing. Lets not forget there are always injuries, suspensions, both would get game time.
Answer one question, would the squad be better with or without Van Bommel? If the answer is better, end of discussion.

sabret00the

Established Member
Barca won't let him go, he's provided grit in midfield for them when they've needed that, however if they were willing to let him go, i'd like him here.

nazo

Established Member
longrufus, first i never said Gilberto is poor offensively or can't pass (you misunderstood me). I like Gilberto alot too and i think he is good enough.

Well you were just looking around in the ideas i brought in, i was just explaining my ideas to the comments Asa posted, but at the end i clearly said this:
'The major point i want to come up with is either stick with the youngsters (Wenger loves doing this) OR buy a young player with 5-10 years still in him. There are alot of young Bommel-like players out there who are better than him so we should spend on them rather than on him. '

Now you answer one question, would the squad be better with Van Bommel or would it be better if we bought -with the 12mil (if that is how much it is)- a player who can serve the team for a while and play as good as Bommel? (Maybe Mascherano? or whoever you rate as a good player)

Again, it depends how much you rate Bommel. If some people rate him as the best player on the world then it will be hard to change their minds. It will be like trying to tell the person the sky is blue while he insists it's red.

Saville

its only because he been basically injured for the whole season..but when he did play for a bit he was pretty damn good..

Sammer

Established Member
Bayern is strongly linked with him as a potential Ballack-replacement.

If Bayern are seriously after him, they might get him.

He will get a regular starting place and CL games guaranteed.

Legend#1

Established Member
We were in for him in the summer.. so were Sp**s and Inter, but he opted for Barca, well that's what Van Bommel said on Revisita De La Liga.

polaris sc

hes a good player, would be great if he joined arsenal, but dont see it happening cause he is not 16 or under

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
polaris sc said:
hes a good player, would be great if he joined arsenal, but dont see it happening cause he is not 16 or under

||_ Get off Arsène's back, Those so called 16 years or under old kids, are
Outperforming so called experience players this year and still people like
you keep naging ewhhw . :cry: we only go after 16 years old kids
Arsène is crazy nagnagnag and more nag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 26

Talks have taken place between Marcus Rashford and Mikel Arteta [AFCamden]