• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

National Teams' 15 Minutes of Fame

Flash in the Pan

• Sweden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulgaria

• Croatia

• Turkey

• Total voters

Soler

Established Member
In recent history which team could be classed as the most prominent "flash in the pan" team? A team that was an outsider in a tournament and came from nowhere to reach the last 4 of the world cup ...

Sweden: Reached the last 4 in Euro 92 and WC 94. Then failed to even qualify for Euro 96 and WC 98. Then two insignificant efforts in 2002 and 2004.

Bulgaria: Had a famous run to the WC 94 semi final after beating germany in the QF. Since then they got dumped out in round one at euro 96, round one exit in WC 98 ,failed to reach euro 2000 or WC 2002.

Croatia: Reached the QF at Euro 96 and finished 3rd at WC 98. They then failed to reach Euro 2000 and only made the first round in WC 2002 ...

Turkey: reached the QF in euro 2000 and finished third in 2002. They failed to reach Euro 2004 after first failing to beat England and then being defeated by Latvia in a playoff. Now they've got a really hard group for 2006 qualifying ...

Aussie

Established Member
For me i would say Sweden. However im sure Freddie will get them back up for a big Euro 2004.

As for Aus we have never had 15 minutes of fame as we have never done anything.

kNiteMare

Bulgaria definitly. That was really a one moment thing and it is hard to see it repeated.

Sweden have a good team, esp with Larsson, Freddie in it. Undefeated in qualifying campaign? (they had something like 22 points right?) Maybe unlucky earlier

The problem with Croatia is that their pretty successful team got too old and they dont have replacement for them. But apparently they have some pretty promising youth coming up to make another challenge soon.

Turkey is still too early to tell if they are a one moment thing.

GlasgowGooner

Croatia for me, they were lucky to have their greatest players of the last century( and probably the next few) on form at the one tournament.
Boban, Suker, Prosinescki, Jarni etc.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Top Bottom