• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: January 2022

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,131
  • Views 97,049
Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Remember when I was saying we should sign him and @HairSprayGooners said it wasn’t necessary.

Can see ASM replacing Sadio Mane at Liverpool if he carries on this form.
Well, if we don't have unlimited funds, which we don't, it wasn't necessary to sign him. There were more important areas to improve.

Now that we didn't sign him, ESR & Saka have flourished with all the minutes they have got.

Those clubs have to pay A LOT as ASM has a contract until 2026.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Well, if we don't have unlimited funds, which we don't, it wasn't necessary to sign him. There were more important areas to improve.

Now that we didn't sign him, ESR & Saka have flourished with all the minutes they have got.

Those clubs have to pay A LOT as ASM has a contract until 2026.

No.

Newcastle were doing their best to get Willock, so it isn’t rocket science that we could have included him and some cash in the deal. They would have been reluctant to lose him but with Mike Ashley as their owner, he’s been doing his best to screw them over for years now.

Fans like you have been brainwashed by this youth project ffs. Is there a problem with competition for places? If these so call young players are good enough then they’ll bench the likes of ASM and Pepe but I think ASM is better than anything we’ve got imo.

drippin

No.

Newcastle were doing their best to get Willock, so it isn’t rocket science that we could have included him and some cash in the deal. They would have been reluctant to lose him but with Mike Ashley as their owner, he’s been doing his best to screw them over for years now.

Fans like you have been brainwashed by this youth project ffs. Is there a problem with competition for places? If these so call young players are good enough then they’ll bench the likes of ASM and Pepe but I think ASM is better than anything we’ve got imo.
No what?

You mean Willock + "some cash" in summer 2021 would get ASM?

We have competition for winger places. Saka, ESR, Pepe for two places plus a few who can also play there, like Martinelli who has potential.

I repeat, there were are lot more important areas to improve than get another winger, unless you're one of those who think Arsenal can be run like City.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

No what?

You mean Willock + "some cash" in summer 2021 would get ASM?

We have competition for winger places. Saka, ESR, Pepe for two places plus a few who can also play there, like Martinelli who has potential.

I repeat, there were are lot more important areas to improve than get another winger, unless you're one of those who think Arsenal can be run like City.

I said no because you need to stop waffling. You’re making it out as if we can’t afford these players when we spent the most in Europe’s top 5 leagues last summer, we also spent in previous summers, so stop making it out as if we don’t spend money.

So, we can’t sign better players because it’ll kill the competition for winger places? This sort of mentality is the reason why we’re on a decline because we’re getting held back unfortunately. Liverpool have got Salah and Mane yet they still went out and signed Diogo Jota for 40m. Are they an oil club? Or are they just investing smartly?

And potentially it could have tempted Newcastle into selling as Mike Ashley is their owner.

Auba
ASM Saka/Ode Pepe
That would have been my team but Arteta would never as Gucci and Pepe would frustrate him with their dribbling but it would be nice to watch them cooking defenders weekly.

Football Head

Lord Conspiracy

Remember when I was saying we should sign him and @HairSprayGooners said it wasn’t necessary.

Can see ASM replacing Sadio Mane at Liverpool if he carries on this form.

we have to exploit these situations.

he's a hell of a player, better than pepe and would not need any adaptation time to the PL or the weather.

drippin

I said no because you need to stop waffling. You’re making it out as if we can’t afford these players when we spent the most in Europe’s top 5 leagues last summer, we also spent in previous summers, so stop making it out as if we don’t spend money.

So, we can’t sign better players because it’ll kill the competition for winger places? This sort of mentality is the reason why we’re on a decline because we’re getting held back unfortunately. Liverpool have got Salah and Mane yet they still went out and signed Diogo Jota for 40m. Are they an oil club? Or are they just investing smartly?

And potentially it could have tempted Newcastle into selling as Mike Ashley is their owner.

Auba
ASM Saka/Ode Pepe
That would have been my team but Arteta would never as Gucci and Pepe would frustrate him with their dribbling but it would be nice to watch them cooking defenders weekly.

I'm not gonna continue this argument, as clearly we can't agree. It would be almost an endless argument for me to try explain how we couldn't afford ASM with so many glaring holes in our squad.

Anyway, why I commented in the first place is the lack of logic in you posting ASM being wanted by those teams as somehow proving you were right that we would have needed to buy him. It can't prove that, it hasn't got to do with it. Would have been nice to buy him, but we are not City.

Like I said, Saka & ESR have benefited a lot from not buying a winger with Pepe also in the team. And we have no money to sell Pepe currently for half of what we spent on him. We need to try to get him to still work while focusing on other areas.

Now that Martinelli looks like regressing after his injury, I think he needs a loan, and we might buy a winger now that our squad is pretty nicely balanced.

Or another possibility is to buy some great player to striker position who can cover or be as good as a winger too. That way ESR & Saka can keep their starting positions, with Pepe as rotation option, competing for the starting spot.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I'm not gonna continue this argument, as clearly we can't agree. It would be almost an endless argument for me to try explain how we couldn't afford ASM with so many glaring holes in our squad.

Anyway, why I commented in the first place is the lack of logic in you posting ASM being wanted by those teams as somehow proving you were right that we would have needed to buy him. It can't prove that, it hasn't got to do with it. Would have been nice to buy him, but we are not City.

Like I said, Saka & ESR have benefited a lot from not buying a winger with Pepe also in the team. And we have no money to sell Pepe currently for half of what we spent on him. We need to try to get him to still work while focusing on other areas.

Now that Martinelli looks like regressing after his injury, I think he needs a loan, and we might buy a winger now that our squad is pretty nicely balanced.

Or another possibility is to buy some great player to striker position who can cover or be as good as a winger too. That way ESR & Saka can keep their starting positions, with Pepe as rotation option, competing for the starting spot.

Why is there a need to protect ESR and Saka from these players that are coming in? If they’re good enough then they’ll keep their starting position. Like I said, this sort of mentality is what has been holding us back for many years.

If you have a look at the teams above us, the likes of City, Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool and how they handle their youth players. Do they have talented youngsters coming out of their academy? Why hasn’t the red carpet been rolled out for them? Do Saka and ESR have a higher ceiling than the likes Foden, Greenwood, Elliot, Mount, Abraham, James, TAA etc? All of those lads have had to fight for their positions in their teams against top competition, even before Trent cemented his position he was going head to head with Joe Gomez (who I rate) for that RB position. Chelsea were going for Hakimi last summer when they already had Reece James. Liverpool bought Jota even though they had two of the best in Mane and Salah, the list goes on - top clubs don’t roll out the carpet, so it’s not only City that are doing it.

I’ve been watching Gucci for a while now, so it’s not like this is something new and we could have signed him before the likes of City and Chelsea start showing interest. That should be our model anyways. ASM is only 24 years old, so he’s not that older than ESR.

Not trying to prove anything but this was in July 2020 and building this team was possible with the funds we had instead of eventually spending 50m on Ben White:

Again in May 2021 when we had leverage:

As a fan I want my team to win and to be entertained. Our fans seem too fixated on building a team for the year 2039 when there’s no guarantee that these talents that they’re overrating will reach their ceiling or even stay at the club for that matter. It’s inevitable that City or Chelsea try to sign Saka if/when he improves his end product and I won’t blame him for making the move.

drippin

Why is there a need to protect ESR and Saka from these players that are coming in? If they’re good enough then they’ll keep their starting position. Like I said, this sort of mentality is what has been holding us back for many years.

If you have a look at the teams above us, the likes of City, Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool and how they handle their youth players. Do they have talented youngsters coming out of their academy? Why hasn’t the red carpet been rolled out for them? Do Saka and ESR have a higher ceiling than the likes Foden, Greenwood, Elliot, Mount, Abraham, James, TAA etc? All of those lads have had to fight for their positions in their teams against top competition, even before Trent cemented his position he was going head to head with Joe Gomez (who I rate) for that RB position. Chelsea were going for Hakimi last summer when they already had Reece James. Liverpool bought Jota even though they had two of the best in Mane and Salah, the list goes on - top clubs don’t roll out the carpet, so it’s not only City that are doing it.

I’ve been watching Gucci for a while now, so it’s not like this is something new and we could have signed him before the likes of City and Chelsea start showing interest. That should be our model anyways. ASM is only 24 years old, so he’s not that older than ESR.

Not trying to prove anything but this was in July 2020 and building this team was possible with the funds we had instead of eventually spending 50m on Ben White:

Again in May 2021 when we had leverage:

As a fan I want my team to win and to be entertained. Our fans seem too fixated on building a team for the year 2039 when there’s no guarantee that these talents that they’re overrating will reach their ceiling or even stay at the club for that matter. It’s inevitable that City or Chelsea try to sign Saka if/when he improves his end product and I won’t blame him for making the move.
We are still lacking a starting/backup RB, a starting CM to replace Xhaka plus a starting striker for next year which would have been nice to do in last window too. That is after all the buys we did.

We will also need a better backup CB than Holding if Saliba won't want to continue here next year, unless we play Tomi as CB and get that starting RB. We might be able to do that too, with White & Tomi being able to play RB as cover.

Next year that starting CM & ST can cost north of 100 million by themselves, and probably much more if we go for real quality.

Great RB's aren't cheap either, and I want better than Cedric or Chambers there in the future when we can afford it. Tomi looks like he can be our starting RB though, so might only need competition for him.

Maybe you can understand why I say what I say, but probably not. An expensive winger wasn't the position in need when you claimed it, this is where we differ. Next summer we might want to address that and loan Martinelli like I said.

If we were an oil club like Chelsea or City, or the most supported club in the world like in United, we could do what you say in this case. But we aren't even in Europe so we have much less money.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We are still lacking a starting/backup RB, a starting CM plus a starting striker for next year which would have been nice to do in last window too. That is after all the buys we did.

We will also need a better backup CB than Holding if Saliba won't want to continue here next year, unless we play Tomi as CB and get that starting RB.

Next year that starting CM & ST will easily cost north of 100 million by themselves, and probably much more if we go for real quality.

Maybe you can understand why I say what I say, but probably not. An expensive winger wasn't the position in need when you claimed it, this is where we differ.

If we were an oil club like Chelsea or City, or the most supported club in the world like in United, we could do what you say in this case. But we aren't even in Europe so we have much less money.

At this current time, I don’t see any difference between Holding and Ben White tbh. We just spent 50m on a signing that wasn’t necessary when that could have been used for some like Gucci.

Anyways, you’ve just dodged everything I said with regards to the youngsters at top clubs fighting for their places and Liverpool not being an oil club and having this mentality but I won’t be saying anything more as there’s no point if you’re not addressing my points. No disrespect but I can’t stand people who duck and dive.

drippin

At this current time, I don’t see any difference between Holding and Ben White tbh. We just spent 50m on a signing that wasn’t necessary when that could have been used for some like Gucci.

Anyways, you’ve just dodged everything I said with regards to the youngsters at top clubs fighting for their places and Liverpool not being an oil club and having this mentality but I won’t be saying anything more as there’s no point if you’re not addressing my points. No disrespect but I can’t stand people who duck and dive.
I addressed it. We needed to strenghten other areas, so trusted ESR and Saka who have shown great potential. Other clubs you mention can afford to buy players non-stop to disregard their own youth.

I would have bought ASM too if we could afford it at the time. But the choice to trust in Saka, ESR and Pepe has proven a good one even in hindsight.

Holding is a hindrance to our build-up play and a high-line, but he is pretty good backup. This affects our overall play a lot. White has improved his play from the bad start, and I think he will continue to do so.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I addressed it. We needed to strenghten other areas, so trusted ESR and Saka who have shown great potential. Other clubs you mention can afford to buy players non-stop to disregard their own youth.

I would have bought ASM too if we could afford it at the time. But the choice to trust in Saka, ESR and Pepe has proven a good one even in hindsight.

Holding is a hindrance to our build-up play and a high-line, but he is pretty good backup. This affects our overall play a lot.

We spent the most in Europe’s top 5 leagues last summer, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about here and we’ve spent in previous summers (I’m just repeating myself but it doesn’t seem to get through to you). So we do spend money but a team like Liverpool have spent smartly.

You realise there’s not only one way to play football, right? You’re making it out as if the only way we can play is through the CB’s. This Pep/Arteta U shaped tactics has brainwashed a lot fans. I’m sure before we were even linked with Ben White many fans didn’t have a CB as one of our priorities. Saliba, Holding, Gabriel, Tomiyasu would have been enough imo with Tomiyasu and AMN fighting out for the RB slot.

The choice to trust ESR, Saka and Pepe? Let’s wait until the end of the season to judge them as people are just getting gassed over three games against dreadful opposition but I’m not surprised since this is a common theme with our fanbase. I hear people talking about Patino like he’s the next Xavi or Iniesta ffs.

drippin

We spent the most in Europe’s top 5 leagues last summer, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about here and we’ve spent in previous summers (I’m just repeating myself but it doesn’t seem to get through to you).

You realise there’s not only one way to play football, right? You’re making it out as if the only way we can play is through the CB’s. This Pep/Arteta U shaped tactics has brainwashed a lot fans. I’m sure before we were even linked with Ben White many fans didn’t have a CB as one of our priorities. Saliba, Holding, Gabriel, Tomiyasu would have been enough imo with Tomiyasu and AMN fighting out for the RB slot.

The choice to trust ESR, Saka and Pepe? Let’s wait until the end of the season to judge them as people are just getting gassed over three games against dreadful opposition but I’m not surprised since this is a common theme with our fanbase. I hear people talking about Patino like he’s the next Xavi or Iniesta ffs.
All the money we spend, will be less from other positions. This is why I would not have opted for ASM at that time.

Like I said, this will be an endless debate, having to explain all the nuances again that I have said elsewhere.

I already said I don't have time for this, I hope you find another person to argue about it. We just see things totally differently, but you have some points I understand.

Final note that people are not judging Saka, ESR and Pepe only on these past games, but the whole end of last season too. Imo even in hindsight you would have been wrong to buy ASM at that time, as opposed to what you think.

Patino has nothing to do with this, he is a youth player who needs time in the U23 still no matter his talent.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

All the money we spend, will be less from other positions. This is why I would not have opted for ASM at that time.

Like I said, this will be an endless debate, having to explain all the nuances again that I have said elsewhere.

I already said I don't have time for this, I hope you find another person to argue about it. We just see things totally differently, but you have some points I understand.

Final note that people are not judging Saka, ESR and Pepe only on these past games, but the whole end of last season too.

Patino has nothing to do with this, he is a youth player who needs time in the U23 still.

:lol:

I don’t have time to write paragraphs here too especially as you didn’t even address the points that I’m making plus you’re jarring.

This one below for example:

Deep down you know this part is the truth lmao. The only way I would have spent 50m+ on a CB is if we were getting a Ruben Dias or VVD type of defender who was ready to slot in. I already predicted that from what I’ve seen of Tomiyasu prior to signing for Arsenal that he’ll be a bigger success than Ben White imo and those funds could have been used elsewhere. That answers your will be less from other positions stuff.

I’m using Patino as an example as the way that fans like you get excited and overrated our youngsters. As much as I like and support them, biased aside both Saka and ESR aren’t the biggest talents in the PL at this current time yet you think it’ll be a good idea to roll the red carpet out for them based on the end of last season. This is the reason why I don’t think we’ll be competing with the top clubs and our best hope is securing a Europa League spot.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Vlahovic rejected Fiorentina contract. Fiorentina president offered him 8-10m a year this the biggest contract in club history.

His contract ends in 2023 will be interesting what happens now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom