• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Win PL: Arsenal 3 - 1 Aston Villa | Friday 22nd October | KO: 20:00 BST | Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He would have made far more sense than the guys we actually signed, that's for sure. Emery knew what this group of players needed far more than Arteta, that's for sure.
Yeh I was talking to my mates about it yday. Raul set us back more than anybody else at this club.

He was just power grabbing his entire time here. If you forget about the incidents with Mislintat and Monchi and just focus on the players it’s still dodgy.

Emery wanted Zaha, Nkunku, Banega and Nzonzi. Instead Raul signed Pepe who is a very particular player and high risk, as well as Saliba who we still haven’t even used.

If we had signed Emery’s players, they wouldn’t have all been a success (like Nzonzi maybe), but they all solved what we needed and suited his system. Banega was that perfect 8/10 hybrid, Nkunku is just talented and versatile, and Zaha was PL ready and proven.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yeh I was talking to my mates about it yday. Raul set us back more than anybody else at this club.

He was just power grabbing his entire time here. If you forget about the incidents with Mislintat and Monchi and just focus on the players it’s still dodgy.

Emery wanted Zaha, Nkunku, Banega and Nzonzi. Instead Raul signed Pepe who is a very particular player and high risk, as well as Saliba who we still haven’t even used.

If we had signed Emery’s players, they wouldn’t have all been a success (like Nzonzi maybe), but they all solved what we needed and suited his system. Banega was that perfect 8/10 hybrid, Nkunku is just talented and versatile, and Zaha was PL ready and proven.

Yeah, Emery wanted Zaha as well, a guy that would have been a starter straight away and would still be in the team now. Other than actually rating the player, he probably foresaw Saka breaking through and using him on the right long term as well.

But I do think Edu and Arteta have set us back as much as Raul. Sure, they've signed some young players. But we still need a first 11 RB, 8, LW and in the long term a 9. Criminal they've spent 200m plus and not addressed those positions.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Partey cannot go up against both McGinn and Luiz and win the midfield battle, certainly not on his own (Arteta just can't seem to get the 4-3-3 to work) so we have go back back to 4-2-3-1, with 2 holding mids, it's our only way to play/win.

And I would start Elneny next to Thomas, as mad as that sounds.

Lokonga looks to be a real prospect, but he is a 22 year old in his first season in the country/league and he has looked a little nervous in games recently...would take the pressure of him, play Mo in this and give Sambi the cup game next week, to build up some confidence again.

Uhhhh, not confident at all for this match...can't be having Emi celebrating, in a full stadium :facepalm:

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Part of me wants to persist with the 433. It gets our best players onto the pitch at once, and feel a 4231, with 2 Dms and Tomiyasu at RB provides its own problems.

The problem with it is that ESR and Ødegaard have no clue how to play the 8 positions. It's a catch 22, they need time to learn the positions/but we also need the points.

As much as the personal, the way we move the ball around is also a problem for the 3 midfielders. When take too long to get shots off, and let the oppositon to regroup by keeping the ball too long in the final 3rd. We don't have the superstar players to be able to play this patience game and create stuff against low blocks like City do, so when we inevitably loose it, we are getting destroyed through the middle on the counter, because ESR/Ødegaard can't defend (not their fault). I feel a bit sorry a bit for Partey, there is far too much defensive responsibility on his shoulders. If we had proper 8's, this wouldn't be the case.

Kav

Established Member
So basically Arteta has lost all three games against Aston Villa and Dean Smith.

You guys still talking about a home win, lol. This match will be either a loss or a draw.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Seen an article with tweets from Villa fans talking about the match...we get no respect these days, every fanbase thinks they will beat us now :lol:

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

So basically Arteta has lost all three games against Aston Villa and Dean Smith.

You guys still talking about a home win, lol. This match will be either a loss or a draw.
I think a comfortable loss actually. Unlike palace and Brighton, villa has goals in them and will hurt us. I think after this loss the club will start a pr campaign about bunch of transfers in January and the usual overhaul

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Part of me wants to persist with the 433. It gets our best players onto the pitch at once, and feel a 4231, with 2 Dms and Tomiyasu at RB provides its own problems.

The problem with it is that ESR and Ødegaard have no clue how to play the 8 positions. It's a catch 22, they need time to learn the positions/but we also need the points.

As much as the personal, the way we move the ball around is also a problem for the 3 midfielders. When take too long to get shots off, and let the oppositon to regroup by keeping the ball too long in the final 3rd. We don't have the superstar players to be able to play this patience game and create stuff against low blocks like City do, so when we inevitably loose it, we are getting destroyed through the middle on the counter, because ESR/Ødegaard can't defend (not their fault). I feel a bit sorry a bit for Partey, there is far too much defensive responsibility on his shoulders. If we had proper 8's, this wouldn't be the case.
Yes agree with this. Want to persist with it. Yeah couple of games with that has been bad but I feel it could get better. Eventually with or without arteta I'd like us to play 433.

Agree with ode and esr as 8 as well. Like I mentioned earlier esr is better at lw. Feel saka could be better as a 8.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Partey cannot go up against both McGinn and Luiz and win the midfield battle, certainly not on his own (Arteta just can't seem to get the 4-3-3 to work) so we have go back back to 4-2-3-1, with 2 holding mids, it's our only way to play/win.

And I would start Elneny next to Thomas, as mad as that sounds.

Lokonga looks to be a real prospect, but he is a 22 year old in his first season in the country/league and he has looked a little nervous in games recently...would take the pressure of him, play Mo in this and give Sambi the cup game next week, to build up some confidence again.

Uhhhh, not confident at all for this match...can't be having Emi celebrating, in a full stadium :facepalm:
Don't think it's the worst idea either to be honest. I'd be tempted to shake things up a bit with the team, maybe bring Laca in as well, possibly Martinelli or Tavares for fresh legs. Try something a bit different at least.

MikeVinna

Established Member
No faith we’ll get anything here. I don’t even see us testing Emi at all with the 3 chances we might get. Our midfield will get slaughtered whole season long with this spanish mong in charge.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Yeah this one will be tricky. Villa have been terrible this season but they always fancy it at The Emirates. Going back to Agbonlahor days. Given the injury news I’d go;

Ramsdale
Tomi White Gabriel Tavares
Partey Lokonga
Auba Ødegaard ESR
Lacazette

Laca helps us keep the ball high up the field and he’s a reliable finisher. We need to use him here. Give Martinelli considerable time from the bench too. We need more from Ødegaard here, he seems to start games brightly than fizzle out, admittedly that could be a tactical reason.

Just show for it. No retreating with an hour left to play. Put pressure on this shaky Villa back line. Mings gives opposition attackers chances every week.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I'm going to the match, going to probably be a tough match to go to but lets see, Villa haven't been the best this season so maybe we have a chance. Conversely we could get completely outclassed.

The lineup I would like to see:

Ramsdale
Tomiyasu White Gabriel Tavares
Partey AMN
Pepe ESR Martinelli
Lacazette

Tierney apparently got a knock but has looked shocking so far this season, I think he needs some time on the bench to eventually recapture his form.

Lokonga has looked kind of nervy recently which is expected to an extent. And we shouldn't be playing the 433 in this match. We clearly haven't perfect the 433, it would probably get demolished against Villa's strong midfield. Both McGinn and Douglas Luiz would stroll into our team right now, next to Partey. So I don't trust 2 attacking mids and just 1 CM.
Give AMN a chance at CM as he can do the dirty work really well and cover for Tavares.

Martinelli gives us something in attack, he really causes a threat down his side and will open up space for ESR to come into the left and set him up. Could drag a man away from Pepe too.

Lacazette just looked so hungry against Palace. So did Auba but we have seemed to struggle when we have Auba up front and play teams with good pressing, like Brighton and Villa. Lacazette will make sure we get good control of the ball in the final third, and he can have Martinelli running beyond him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom