• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Wigan Athletic vs Arsenal | 19/11/05

patrick42uk

Established Member
scorpion, eto'o has 11 goals in 12 la liga games and 3 in 4 champions league games. last season he was second top scorer. and he's 24. if we got eto'o in return for henry, i'd call it the deal of the century. he has all the attributes to score 30 goals a season playing in our system. but i cannot see barca letting him go personally. we missed our chance with eto'o when he was actually available although, to be fair, wenger never moved for him probably because he's too similar to henry.

Legend#1

Established Member
I can't believe the attitude in here.

We won our FIRST AWAY game.. against THE in-form team who are 2nd.

Jesus.

Henry, RvP, Cesc were all brilliant.

Cygan was shocking in the 1st half, better in the 2nd half.

Sol was very shakey, but still made some vital interceptions and last ditch clearances, although Roberts gave him too many problems.

I actually thought Toure was solid.

Freddie was anonymous.. Pires was average, Gilberto was awful and nearly gifted them a goal with a stupid flick near the centre circle.

ccc

patrick42uk said:
scorpion, eto'o has 11 goals in 12 la liga games and 3 in 4 champions league games. last season he was second top scorer. and he's 24. if we got eto'o in return for henry, i'd call it the deal of the century. he has all the attributes to score 30 goals a season playing in our system. but i cannot see barca letting him go personally. we missed our chance with eto'o when he was actually available although, to be fair, wenger never moved for him probably because he's too similar to henry.

thinking of how good support he got from the midfield! and the defence in spanish league is much less tough than premier league. look back on forlan, who could hardly score with great support at MU, finished top scorer in spanish league last season. besides, etoo's character will make more trouble with teammates and opponents. henry swap for etoo? oh, no, never!

Legend#1

Established Member
Oh.. and why is Henry leaving all of a sudden.. Has he told you? :roll:

When I listened to the webchat, he said "He'll discuss the contract at the end of the season" and "I look forward to leading the team out at AG"

It's 50/50.. You don't know he's leaving, you don't know if he's staying.. That's it.

I believe this would be in violation of the clips rule...

Yes Thierry, That is enough, I won't grumble anymore.

mariaines

..i was wondering.. does arsenal have more defenses?? i mean, Cygan just can't play and AW shouldn't be accepting how bad he is by changing Freddie from his natural position to help him.. what is that??? doesn't he realise that helping cygan means less attacking by the left side? and considering that right side was covered by pires (what happens with quincy??? is he not too french enough to be considered???? he's way way better than pires).. just get rid of cygan and end the problem!!! but again, don't know if AW had another alternative.. :roll:
btw.. as i've said before, i don't think henry will join Barça any time soon.. we won't pay a huge amount of money for any player unless he's 18 or something.. i think Barça is being used by Henry's manager to get a great new contract :? not that it hasn't happened to us before... :roll:

patrick42uk

Established Member
ccc said:
patrick42uk said:

thinking of how good support he got from the midfield! and the defence in spanish league is much less tough than premier league. look back on forlan, who could hardly score with great support at MU, finished top scorer in spanish league last season. besides, etoo's character will make more trouble with teammates and opponents. henry swap for etoo? oh, no, never!

this whole argument counter argument thing can get really tedious, but your arguments here are just begging to be challenged.

spanish defence worse than premiership? i guess that could be true. i dont know the goals scored statistics between both leagues in the last couple of years. the premeirship always claims to be the most exciting so i assume there are more goals scored there. could be wrong though.

i guess forlan might be the reason you think the spaniards cant defend. well by the time forlan moved to villareal, he'd have been more acclamatised to european football than when he moved to mu. also at villareal, he is a regular and he didnt have one of the best goal scorers in europe eating into his share of goals. thats if forlan is that good. he could easily be the equivalent of phillips, who played in the premiership i think. maybe the premiership had a worse defence than la liga that season, i dont know.

midfield support for eto'o. i guess that could be true. xavi, deco, ronnie are above gilberto and fabregas, pires and maybe hleb. it doesnt hide the fact thought that if he came here, the whole team would be geared towards him scoring, the way it is for henry now. whilst our midfield might not be as good, they are still quality and would provide him enough chances. just ask reyes. any half decent finisher would profit.

eto'o is arrogant. but henry would give him a run for his money in that department. comapring both their celebrations, its difficult to tell who is more arrogant. the difference is that henry is image concious, so when he talks to the press he wont admit what he's thinking. that he's a big fish in a small pond. wouldnt want to come accross as arrogant :wink:

eto'o is loved by his barca team-mates. heck he's even loved by his ex-real team-mates judging by the quotes from helguera and cassillas before the game this weekend. everyone he plays with recognises his ability and i imagine feel the arrogance is justified.

sabret00the

Established Member
i'd just like to add to this whole forlan thing that it was plain as day to see that mu's whole game was geared towards van Horse, i don't think anyone could've gone their at the time and expected to grab goals realistically, times have changed with the nature of the buy they made in Rooney but ultimately the game plan is still get the ball to van Horse so he can score.

qs

Established Member
Eto'o is a good player but he's not worth a straight swap for Henry, Eto'o + 10mil maybe.

_scorpion_

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
ccc said:
patrick42uk said:

this whole argument counter argument thing can get really tedious, but your arguments here are just begging to be challenged.

spanish defence worse than premiership? i guess that could be true. i dont know the goals scored statistics between both leagues in the last couple of years. the premeirship always claims to be the most exciting so i assume there are more goals scored there. could be wrong though.

i guess forlan might be the reason you think the spaniards cant defend. well by the time forlan moved to villareal, he'd have been more acclamatised to european football than when he moved to mu. also at villareal, he is a regular and he didnt have one of the best goal scorers in europe eating into his share of goals. thats if forlan is that good. he could easily be the equivalent of phillips, who played in the premiership i think. maybe the premiership had a worse defence than la liga that season, i dont know.

midfield support for eto'o. i guess that could be true. xavi, deco, ronnie are above gilberto and fabregas, pires and maybe hleb. it doesnt hide the fact thought that if he came here, the whole team would be geared towards him scoring, the way it is for henry now. whilst our midfield might not be as good, they are still quality and would provide him enough chances. just ask reyes. any half decent finisher would profit.

eto'o is arrogant. but henry would give him a run for his money in that department. comapring both their celebrations, its difficult to tell who is more arrogant. the difference is that henry is image concious, so when he talks to the press he wont admit what he's thinking. that he's a big fish in a small pond. wouldnt want to come accross as arrogant :wink:

eto'o is loved by his barca team-mates. heck he's even loved by his ex-real team-mates judging by the quotes from helguera and cassillas before the game this weekend. everyone he plays with recognises his ability and i imagine feel the arrogance is justified.

Great post.

In terms of less disrupption to our style of play I cant see a better option than Eto'o IF Henry were to leave.

I think Wenger would demand it.

I can sympathise with people saying we should demand more...but the reality of the situation is that Eto'o is younger than Henry and has more years to develop even further.....so I can't see us getting cash or anyone else on top (although I wouldnt mind Edmilson if I had my pick).

In all honesty, I'd rather a swap instead cash (even though I'm aware swap deals are as rare as hens teeth) because I just know Arsène will be reluctant to spend big dollars on one single player, as the expecation level for that player (keeping in mind he is filling Henry's boots) will be too much.

As for the Eto'o being arrogant arguement??!!??? - well you just havent watched Henry, Pires or even RVP latley have you now?

Zico

Established Member
I don't think Barca are looking to swap Eto'o Fils. He's a top 5 striker in Europe right now alongside Henry, Adriano, Sheva and Toni. Barca have a mysterious and infinite source of money that will allow them to play Henry WITH Eto'o.

Anyway, are we the only team that does swaps? If things go according to plan this summer we'll swap Henry for Eto'o and Cole for Baptista. Now if only we could turn Cygan into Roberto Ayala :)

qs

Established Member
If Henry goes to Barca it will be a cash deal. How often are there rumours of swaps and how often does it actually happen?

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrive at the gates of Heaven the Good Lord will ask "What did you do in your life?"
I will respond "I tried to win football matches."
He will say: "Are you certain that's all?"
"Well, that's the story of my life. It is not easy to win football matches, you know."

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom