• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Newcastle United vs Arsenal | 10/12/05

asajoseph

Established Member
These threads are becoming a bit of a tradition for me, so I thought another one might be appropriate this evening.

Before the game this evening, I was a little nervous. I knew that a team like Newcastle would be difficult. Despite their error-prone central defenders, and below average defence, their midfield's exactly the kind we always struggle against - combative and committed. Up front too, I was a little nervous that the physical presence of Shearer might cause us problems. But when the team was announce, I perked up a bit - for the first time in absolutely ages, I agreed 100% with Wenger's team selection. He put out, possibly for the first time this year, the exact XI players that I'd have had on the pitch if selection were up to me. I still knew it would be a tough match, but at least we had the players out there to win. And the first 45 minutes did nothing to dampen my mood. Perhaps up front we didn't have the finishing touch, but we looked dangerous in midfield, and actually able to use the ball properly in the middle of the park, something we've struggled with over the last couple of weeks. And then, in the second half, it all went wrong. Newcastle stepped up a gear, and we didn't. We weren't dreadful, and we absorbed most of their pressure, and even when Gilberto got sent off it looked like we wanted to win the game, not just play for a draw. That I can admire, although it's a philosophy that cost us today.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, on with the ratings.

Lehmann - 8 - Had no chance with the goal, and dealt pretty well with Newcastle's long and high balls. Would have got a '7', but for the fantastic challenge on Scott Parker which earned him a bonus point.. Again, he looked like our player with the most fight in his belly, and I really admire him for that. Yes, I guess you could call it a moment of madness, but hey, at least he's willing to stick it to a physical opposition, even if he's playing in goal.

Toure - 8 - Some rampaging runs up the right, and some very strong tackles in defence. Definitely did not look as out of place as a RB as Cygan does as a LB. Strong, and solid.

Senderos - 7 - Didn't really put a foot wrong today, although wasn't called upon as much as against Ajax. Some good headers, and some good pace showed today.

Sol - 8 - Commanding for the majority of the game, and strong against Shearer, who was playing the bully today. Needed to be big to stand up to him

Lauren - 6 - The goal came from the left hand side, as per usual in recent weeks, and Lauren was partly to blame. Other than that, he was quite subdued in an attacking role, although took some advanced positions reasonably well

Lungberg - 6 - Part of some excellent attacking moves, but didn't show a lot of individual spark. Set up Henry well for one chance he should really have buried (even if he was offside).

Gilberto - 6 - Actually played quite well in the first half I thought, putting in a lot of effort, slightly better passing than usual and sweeping up well in front of the back four. Was the Gilberto we've missed over the last few weeks, until he stupidly got himself sent off (which was deserved), and ultimately probably cost us the game.

Cesc - 8.5 - An extremely accomplished performance from the young spaniard, putting some superb passes in, showing strength beyond his years on the ball and a little bit of skill on the ball too. Still needs to learn when to shoot, but on the whole a very accomplished performance MOTM

Hleb - 7.5 - Made some absolutely superb passes, especially towards the end of the first half, and I still think his style is better suited to playing on the wing for us, at least for now. Faded a little before he was substituted, but beginning to look like his pre-injury self again. When he's had more time to settle in the league, and finds his dribbling rhythm, he'll be devestating.

RVP - 6 - Much, much quieter from the reigning Barclay Premiership player of the month. Wasn't really able to get into the game at all, and was a little surprised to see Hleb brought off ahead of him, although I guess RVP still has his moments of magic. Still played some good passes, but not at his lethal best at all. Slightly embarrassing air shot, when we needed a goal most.

Henry - 6 - Drew an outstanding save from the ever impressive Given (well, against us anyway), but really shouuld have done better with the chances given to him, especially by Lungberg and Cesc. Did not harry the suspect Newcastle defence as we'd have liked.

Substitutes

Pires - 6 - Didn't make much of an impact when he came on, and hasn't got enough to change a game any more, or even pose any significant threat on his own.

Quincy - 6 - Like Pires, didn't really have enough time, and was more or less anonymous for most of his time on the field. That said, he instigated one excellent attack, but otherwise was quiet.

Flamini - 5 - Well, I guess you know what's coming, so I'll keep it short. Once again though, I was underwhelmed by the young frenchman, whose first contribution was to give the ball away in an extremely dangerous area and allow Newcastle to build a very good attack. He did the same thing again about 3 minutes later.

Wenger - 7 - He started the game well by chosing what I believe to be our best XI at the moment, for which he deserves credit. He also still played to win once Gilberto had been sent off, and didn't immediately switch to 4-4-1. It backfired, but we needed 3 points, so it was probably the right thing to do. Indeed, but for the red-card, we'd probably have won. Perhaps he's to blame for the fact that our squad's thinner than Donald Trump's combover, and the closest thing we had to an impact player on the bench was Quincy, but that's another story. He did the right things on the night, and for that he deserves credit. But for putting the squad in the position it's in, he does have questions to answer, and claiming that we're better than we've ever been is growing into a bigger bald-faced lie than Bill Clinton could ever dream up.

And there you have it. After reading that, you probably have the same questions I do - how on earth could I give the squad such high ratings, after yet another defeat to a team we in all fairness should be beating. And I really don't know. Individually, we weren't that bad. We played some great football in the second half, but weren't sharp enough. And we, in all fairness, weren't good enough yet again. Wenger really does need a long hard look in the mirror right now, because his squad, his team, his players, just are not good enough. And if he doesn't recognise that, then something is seriously wrong.

IBL

Established Member
Quckie from me:

Lehman 8: Again could do nothing about the goal and was faultless in general. I also derived a perverted sense of pleasue from his great forearm smash on Parker - wish it was on Shearer though

Toure 7.5: Solid display and I love it when this guy charges forward, commited display as usual
Sol 6.5: Looked a little jittery in places, poor distibution but coped ok overall.
Phil 7: Did not look out of place, strong display
Lauren 6: Still better than Cygan but caught out of position for the goal, lack of experince at LB I'll put it down to.

Cesc 6.5: Tried, some great passes, but was generally outmuscled. Big heart though!
Gilberto 6: Was actually doing OK, the second yellow was harsh.
Hleb 7.5: great range of passing, quick feet
Freddy 7: Had a decent game today, fought hard and supplied a couple of good crosses

RvP 6: Quiet by his standards, POTM curse struck when he fluffed his shot
Henry 6: Apart from his shot didnt feature much, wasnt that involved

SUB
Flamini 6: Competent
Pires 6: good kick on Shearer
Quincy 5: not enough time to do anything

Wenger 6.5: First half we dominated but just didnt score. Went for quite an attacking line up, dropped Pires for Hleb. Was forced into making Flamini change by idiot ref.

Ref 1: just a w@anker

kamikaze80

Established Member
i second icebergs ratings, cesc gave up the ball way too much in the 2nd half. until he can ride those challenges, he needs to get rid of the ball earlier.

longrufus

Established Member
Good call asa, spot on mate, agree with all but one rating, Lehmann deserved a 9, was nice to see an arsenal player inflicting some pain.

A

Anonymous

Fabregas was a pleasure to watch. He is the most complete player under the age of 20 I have ever seen. He tackles, passes and defends team mates the way a captain should.

Scott Parker was super as well and is my best non arsenal player. He gives 100% every second I hope he is ok as it looked like he was dieing when he was dragged off. :p

Lukazan

Established Member
May as well..

Lehmann - 6 Nothing he could do for the goal and aside from that had little else to do. Needs to keep his head at times or he could get an avoidable red card.

Toure - 7 Quality run down the right side which really emphasized his dribbling and pace which he doesn't get to use much at CB. I think he should continue to play there (and Lauren at left back) until Clichy or Cole are fit. Looked steady defensively.

Senderos - 7.5 - Solid again. Vocally getting the team ready in the tunnel which was nice to see. Future captain?

Sol - 6.5 - Better game today. Pretty much Solid.

Lauren - 6 Didn't get forward too much which is understandable with him being right footed but he is doing a better job than Cygan which is the main thing. Would have got a 10 if he had smacked Shearer.

Lungberg - 6 - Like Sol, better game today. Ran alot and was involved. Saw less and less of the ball as the game went on though.

Gilberto - 6 - Looked alright up until his sending off. Asajoseph says it was deserved.. well IMO it was harsh when you look at what Newcastle got away with today. Completely erratic refereeing.

Cesc 7 - In the first half he was wonderful. So calm on the ball it's amazing. Second half when Newcastle got physical he dwelled on the ball and lost it a few times though. Once he bulks up he'll be truly amazing.

Hleb - 7- In the first half he was our best player alongside Fabregas. His close control and passing are amazing. Lost the ball a few times in the second half before being hauled (wrongly?) off.

RVP - 6 When he got the ball he did well. Linked up with the rest of the team well and found space well to have a shot in the box (which hit Ljungberg). Unlucky with the airshot, IMO if Persie had connected it would have been a goal.

Henry - 6 - Most likely to score today and would have if not for an amazing save from Given. Should have atleast hit the target with the cross from Ljungberg. Sulked less likely than you'd imagine in this type of game where things aren't going his way which was nice to see. Refusal to battle for most aerial balls is annoying.

Substitutes

I'll give them all a 5. By the time they came on we had completely lost the plot and it was apparent we were never ever going to get a goal back.

asajoseph

Established Member
Gilberto - 6 - Looked alright up until his sending off. Asajoseph says it was deserved.. well IMO it was harsh when you look at what Newcastle got away with today. Completely erratic refereeing.

Refereeing was poor, and Newcastle got away with too much. But with a fair, unbiased referee, Gilberto would still have been sent off - but a fair few more cards would have been given Newcastle's way too.

Gurgen

Established Member
Jens 7 - Solid and whacked Parker. Good man.
Kolo 8 - Impressive on the right. I've always felt he'd make a much better right back, as he couldn't win a single header once again.
Senderos 8 - MOTM Absolutely flawless.
Sol 6 - Lost too many headers for my liking. No longer the Sol we know. Still not bad compared to the last few games.
Lauren 7 - I can't describe in words how glad I am Cygan isn't playing there. Solid, could have done better for the goal but never looked nervous or out of place.
Ljungberg 7 - Much, much better from him. Made good runs off the ball and linked up well.
Fabregas 8 - Excellent. Good passing, great composure. Cesc as we know him.
Gilberto 6 - Wasn't bad at all until he got (wrongly) sent off. The ref's a **** and his mum is a whore.
Hleb 8 - Good to have him back. Some great passes, and he can dribble past everyone on that pitch. Exactly the kind of player we need.
RvP 6 - Linked up well but should have buried that chance.
Henry 6 - As RvP, only in his case there were multiple chances.

Ref 1 - What a ****. Hope he gets hit by a bus. A large one.

polaris sc

well put asajoseph, wenger really needs to have a good think about the state of our squad because its not good enough, this isnt the first time said this but the balance in the squad is not right, since edu and paddy left in the summer

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
Fabregas 5.5 - very por in the game. His passes are always intercepted by the oponent and always pushed around by Faye.

Gilberto 6 - Meh

Flamini 7 - He did ok. When he came on after the Gilberto sending off, Arsenal looked more stable and relax.

Lauren - Meh

asajoseph

Established Member
What game were you watching? Seriously, it doesn't sound a lot like Arsenal vs Newcastle at 5:15 PM yesterday.

Viper

Established Member
Lehmann - 6 - Made some good saves but couldn't really do anything about the goal

Toure - 7.5 - Great perfromance today. Made some impressive runs from the right.

Sol - 7 - Looked much better today.

Senderos - 8 - Brilliant.

Lauren - 6.5 - Much much better than Cygan, however if he was in the LB position I doubt we'd have conceded tbh.

Ljungberg - 7 - One of his better games.

Gilberto - 6 - Was alright.

Fabregas 6.5 - Made some decent passes but got outmuscled

Hleb - 7.5 - Great performance. He made some great passes.

Van Persie - 6 - Should've scored. I guess the Player of the Month curse is true.

Henry - 6 - Okay..

Ref - 0.5 - Fooking wenker. Helped Newcastle win the game.

Wenger - 7 - Started a decent 11. I felt he should've kept Hleb on the pitch though instead of bringing in Pires.

We'd not have lost if we had 11 men on the pitch. The ref cost us the game.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
asajoseph, i completely disagree with your comment about Gilberto's sending off... with all that was going on in that match, Gilberto's challenge in the second half that got him sent off was a ****ing joke... no ref worth a damn would given a card for that... it was completely mistimed, and a tad clumsy, but nothing near malicious....and especally with what happened afterwards between Shearer & Sol.. the refereeing was completely inconsistent throughout the match, and Gilberto, IMO, should NEVER have been sent off.. but even if he was, Shearer should have been next in line...

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
TheHotshot said:
Fabregas 5.5 - very por in the game. His passes are always intercepted by the oponent and always pushed around by Faye.

Gilberto 6 - Meh

Flamini 7 - He did ok. When he came on after the Gilberto sending off, Arsenal looked more stable and relax.

Lauren - Meh

yes, im not quite sure which match you were watching either...giving Cesc the lowes of the 3 CM's obviously means it was a different game... and Lehmann was quite decent in goal, even managed to knock Parker's tooth loose...

asajoseph

Established Member
USArsenal said:
asajoseph, i completely disagree with your comment about Gilberto's sending off... with all that was going on in that match, Gilberto's challenge in the second half that got him sent off was a f****g joke... no ref worth a damn would given a card for that... it was completely mistimed, and a tad clumsy, but nothing near malicious....and especally with what happened afterwards between Shearer & Sol.. the refereeing was completely inconsistent throughout the match, and Gilberto, IMO, should NEVER have been sent off.. but even if he was, Shearer should have been next in line...

Unfortunately, I still stand by what I said - not only did he catch the player extremely late, he caught him above knee height, and completely took him out. Malice really isn't an issue, it was a yellow card offence simply because it was such a crap tackle.

Of course the referee wasn't consistent, and in that sense it was unfair. But I still believe that Gilberto deserved to go.

nazo

Established Member
my rating are the same as asajoseph but i would give senderos an 8, he played really well and tackled with precision. if it wasnt for him the defensive line wouldve been kind of unbalanced.
on the other hand, good job from cesc in the first half, i really liked how he passed

overall i give the MOTM to senderos too due to the decline in cesc's play in the second half

IBL

Established Member
TheHotshot said:

Fabregas 5.5 and Flamini 7??!! :shock: :shock:

Are you a Flamini fanboi and Cesc hater by any chance? ;)

or were you following the match on one of the match console things?

chandraraj

cesk was superb in the first half. though lehman was very good, i disagree with some of you on his challange against parker. as much as i hate parker, i think lehman's challenge was malicious. probably i would have been happier if it was aimed at shearer ( a real thug)

Chips&CurrySauce

I thought the back 4 generally looked very solid.. I quite liked the Senderos Campbell partnership and I'd like Arsène to continue with this aswell..

Cesc was excellent, especially in the first half, Hleb also showed some delightful skill.. There is still so much to come from this guy.. I'm nt a fan of Gilberto but the sending off was very harsh.. To give 2 yellows for those 2 challenges was a joke.. If thats the case you'd end up with 2 or 3 players sent off every match... Neither challenge was dangerous or had any intent, they were simply mistimed..

However having said that Gilberto needs to learn to tackle.. Even Graham said it, this man can't tackle.. Why does he never go to ground.. For the second yellow, if he actually slid in he may have got the ball.. He always just dangles his leg there.. Get stuck in man, whats wrong with you???

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom