• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2023/24: Our Race Is Run

Where do we finish in 23/24?

• Total voters

Jamie99

Player:Ødegaard
They've always been our best chance at winning the league.

West Ham probably next because they can double down defensively, but its Fulham who are the ones who can get a win or draw for us.

But of course, we have to win at Old Trafford, and I do think we will.
Yeah, all the signs are pointing to Fulham doing the damage. But we'll know at the weekend.

Goonger

You're absolutely correct about Chelsea & Man City. No argument there.

But I disagree with you on the 89 points. Even though you're right that it would "be the highest points total we have ever achieved bar the invincibles", we have also spent the highest amounts ever in the history of the club in the transfer market. Arteta spent 600m GBP since he joined. If you take that into account, then we have significantly underachieved.

We also have to take into account that Arteta practically only focused on the PL Title, and has not had any success (or even close to it) in any other competition. So, even though he's built an incredible side, he literally has nothing to show for it (because that 2019 team which won the FA Cup was pre-spending & a totally different team, in fact he replaced literally everyone in that squad except Saka).

So if he's only focusing on the PL, and with the budget he's been given, we shouldn't be losing to Aston Villa both home & away or losing to Fulham away and drawing with Fulham at home or getting thrashed by West Ham at home. I'm sorry, but that absolutely shouldn't be happening.

If he had a Europa League Title, an FA cup (or a few of them) and a Carabao cup in the bag, then you could make an argument about how Arteta has built an incredibly successful side that is unlucky to come against doped-up City in the PL that is losing out on the PL title on 89 points. That would be a solid argument.

But at the moment, Arteta has basically not managed to win anything with this side he has built (aside from the community shields). So this "oh poor us, we tried with 89 points and came up short against a cheating City" doesn't really wash. You can't use that excuse. You really cannot.

It's true that Liverpool came up short with 97 points etc. but they were actually fighting on ALL fronts practically every season - and the ONLY season where they solely focused on the PL title - they actually won it! They were picking up Carabao cups, FA cup, CL etc. along the way. They were genuinely successful.

So I genuinely thought Arteta would operate at the same level as Klopp but the truth is, he's quickly running out of time to prove this. If he fails to win anything this season, then realistically we can only give him 1 more season before we have switch to another manager.

Mate, transfer fees have escalated these past 10 years, so it stands to reason that our latest manager will have spent the most money in the history of the club, even purely due to transfer fee inflation most clubs will be like this.

Topside

Nothing proven and I’m pretty certain we are getting cleared of any of the serious charges
Probably in the minority here that thinks MC won't recieve any huge sanction. If any at all.

115 charges looks dramatic, serious ones that can be proven who knows.

Topside

The money we spent was of course how we became the team challenging for titles. more the point is the fact we are so dominant since 2018 isn’t the money it’s because how insane of a manager Pep is
Yes he is a top manager.

He has faults like many others do. Talking top games, also.

CL final Chelsea insane to bench a traditional 6, slot Gundogan there who was always a scoring threat in midfield advance role. Bizarre call.

Even RM QF why put Foden out on the right when he caused damage playing 10 or off hybrid role. MC should beat RM but didnt take your chances.

Probably in the minority here that thinks MC won't recieve any huge sanction. If any at all.

115 charges looks dramatic, serious ones that can be proven who knows.
yes with what we’ve heard recently I would be very confident we’re not reviving any huge sanctions if any at all

Topside

yes with what we’ve heard recently I would be very confident we’re not reviving any huge sanctions if any at all
More probably about accounting?

Makes this PL season Everton, Forest FFP etc also makes it all a tad of a mockery.

Accounting, FFP whatever you go by, 20 years ago Chelsea were playing football manager. PL didn't seem concerned then posting year on year 100m plus losses. Inflation today be about 200m per season.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We will win the league this season, imo.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
More probably about accounting?

Makes this PL season Everton, Forest FFP etc also makes it all a tad of a mockery.

Accounting, FFP whatever you go by, 20 years ago Chelsea were playing football manager. PL didn't seem concerned then posting year on year 100m plus losses. Inflation today be about 200m per season.
I also think it is a bad look for the EPL to demote a team or strip titles.
We all know since Abramovich arrived at Chelski it was no longer a fair & level playing field.

City continued with this route to 'success' although being owned by a nation rather than one wealthy individual perhaps made it even less palatable?

The powers that be have perhaps finally realised you can't have oligarchs or nation states making our national sport a 'plaything'

However if they sanction too severely or strip titles for previous rulebreaks it reflects incredibly badly on their governance of the game.

Docking points from Forest or Everton for recent events is likely deemed acceptable.
Keeping a closer eye nowadays on Saudi Toon so they can't go on a massive spending free for all & blow everyone out of the water
is probably gonna be as good as it gets.

Imho the horse has likely long bolted on Chelski & Man City being retrospectively severely punished.

Their titles may be tarnished but I honestly don't think the EPL want the spotlight on them that severe reprimands would bring.

Tnegs

I also think it is a bad look for the EPL to demote a team or strip titles.
We all know since Abramovich arrived at Chelski it was no longer a fair & level playing field.

City continued with this route to 'success' although being owned by a nation rather than one wealthy individual perhaps made it even less palatable?

The powers that be have perhaps finally realised you can't have oligarchs or nation states making our national sport a 'plaything'

However if they sanction too severely or strip titles for previous rulebreaks it reflects incredibly badly on their governance of the game.

Docking points from Forest or Everton for recent events is likely deemed acceptable.
Keeping a closer eye nowadays on Saudi Toon so they can't go on a massive spending free for all & blow everyone out of the water
is probably gonna be as good as it gets.

Imho the horse has likely long bolted on Chelski & Man City being retrospectively severely punished.

Their titles may be tarnished but I honestly don't think the EPL want the spotlight on them that severe reprimands would bring.
Early years Abramovich wasn’t subject to FFP so he could do as he pleased and annoying as it was it didn’t break any rules. FFP has been a thing for about 10 years so there is no way City hasn’t broken the rules multiple times in that period when they were heavily spending. A nothing club with no history couldn’t possibly generate the level of revenue needed to surpass Man Utd in spending otherwise.

Everybody knows City has cheated their way to the top the question now is whether the league is going to do anything about it. After the points deductions given to Everton and Forest it would be a scandal for City to escape a similar type of punishment. It’s entirely possible that it gets swept under the rug like so many other scandals although I can’t imagine that will go down easily when everyone and their dog knows what City has done.

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Top Bottom