• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Qatar: Finding the right mix

kNiteMare

Is thie Dede good?

bleh, this is ridiculous. Firstly getting all the oldies to play in their league, now this. completely out of the world!

I cannot believe those people who forsake their own country just for the chance to play in the world cup. Even Ailton! Doesnt he have faith in his own ability to make it into the national team after being top Bundesliga leader?

patrick42uk

Established Member
its not about not being able to get in the brazilian squad. its about the one million dollars per season he is getting to play for them

seanconvey66

kNiteMare said:
. Even Ailton! Doesnt he have faith in his own ability to make it into the national team after being top Bundesliga leader?

Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Diego, and the rest... he would only ever be 4th or 5th choice for them.

AFCG7

Established Member
disgraceful.. they have also done it with track and field athletes, especially from Kenya

torgrim

How cool to have a national side where nobody live in or speak the language of their adopted country.

Mind- this is the only way England could ever win anything again....

Adam

Established Member
Hah, this is just stupid. I am also intrigued by it - Qatar have exploited FIFA's lack of ruling in the area, and will force action.

I'd like to watch that side, but the ethics of it undermines "national" teams.

lewdikris

Established Member
FIFA will stop it, but how much 'worse' is it in principle than all those cricket players who have naturalised for different countries? Or rugby, where all the minnow teams are basically made up of a few locals and a bunch of mediocre foreigners? Or Ireland under Jack Charlton playing a team full of people whose great grandmothers best friends once had a pint of guinness and so became Irish? It's pretty blatant, but it's the same thing that's always been done in sport.

kNiteMare

Yea true. Consider the Fujian in Rugby. They would be a much better team if not most of their players defect to NZ and other countries.

lewdikris

Established Member
... or france's aggressive poaching of young west african players for their national team over the last 20 years....

AFCG7

Established Member
Actually.. after some thought.. we all seem to be disgusted with the Qatar authorities.. but Holland have done this for years with players from Suriname , and France have done the same with players from Africa/Caribbean.. nobody made as much noise then.. but now we're seeing press quoting millions for citizenship so it looks worse.

kNiteMare

But the thing is those African players grow up in France. They may be borned African, but if they feel that because they grow up in France that they have more bonds to france than their birth country, it is sensible. This Qatar is just NOT sensible at all.

Arjan

The so-called surinam born dutch players were all born in Holland!
So they have ties with Holland!

Adam

Established Member
If playing for a national side was purely decided on by blood origin and countries the players were born in then we wouldn't have these issues.

It should be strictly under those two criteria. I think the citizenship rule (5 years in a country and then you can play for that country unless capped by another at senior level) is wrong. Vieira imo should be playing for Senegal even though he moved to France at 8. He was born there under their jurisdiction, and his blood originates from there. It may sound harsh, but it would clear any ambiguity around the rule. Vieira may have developed a passion for France from living there since 8, but it isn't where his roots are.

Maybe its a bit romantic to expect every player to play for their country of origin or birth. But i think....

The fact that Edu and Di Canio can play for England undermines the meaning of playing for your national team. The thing is, as each player grows they want to play national football - and if they aren't good enough or are too good for their native country (in Vieira's case), then they will try to do everything to experience national football playing for another country.

If these Qatar players were citizens of Qatar (5 years) then perhaps this is acceptable, but buying their nationality is too outrageous.

patrick42uk

Established Member
if we are being completely strict about representing countries the world's best player (henry) might have been turning out for Gaudalupe!

kNiteMare

LoL, at least Gaudalupe will have a genuine chance of World Cup now because henry IS A TEAM!!.

Adam, what you say is correct on a certain sense, but i dont think some player even know their home that well anymore. Vieira leaves at 8 and maybe still remember a bit, but he would definitly feels more French than he is Senegalese. I left my home country at 11 and i am 19 atm, but i do feel more at ease being in an australian city than i would be at home. So should i play for my home country just because i was borned and spend 11 of my lives there? Or should i play for australia because this is where i FEEL HOME??

Arsenal Quotes

I think this project is going to go BANG

Mikel Arteta after a difficult run of results

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 26

Talks have taken place between Marcus Rashford and Mikel Arteta [AFCamden]

Nothing is decided between Arsenal and Emile Smith Rowe [Fabrizio Romano]

Latest posts

Top Bottom