• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Rice is the better player but Maddison would be the better signing.

Can bully Leicester on the fee, wouldn’t need him to start all the time.
So in your view, signing an inferior player who doesn't need to start all the time is preferable to signing a superior player who would actually upgrade the XI that just missed out on a league title?

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Interesting reading the 10 pages before the bump. A Leicester fan coming in to brag about how great their team and midfield was and how Maddison wasn't even 1 of their best midfielders.

The takeaway from the none trolling Leicester fans seems to be that Maddison's off the ball tracking back work isn't great. Which would make him a liability in the left 8 role. But if we could drill defensive workrate into him he looks a very talented player.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The takeaway from the none trolling Leicester fans seems to be that Maddison's off the ball tracking back work isn't great. Which would make him a liability in the left 8 role. But if we could drill defensive workrate into him he looks a very talented player.
Imagine how often he will be injured, if he has to run a lot more? So yeah, would have a very talented player in the stands watching the game.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Imagine how often he will be injured, if he has to run a lot more? So yeah, would have a very talented player in the stands watching the game.

He doesn't have many injuries and generally injuries are formed by explosive actions. I don't think tracking back falls in that remit. The question is if he has the right attitude to adapt to a big clubs demands of him.

drippin

He doesn't have many injuries and generally injuries are formed by explosive actions. I don't think tracking back falls in that remit. The question is if he has the right attitude to adapt to a big clubs demands of him.
Last 4 seasons he has played on average 27 of 38 of full 90 minute EPL games. When you divide the total minutes in EPL with 90.

So he is injured quite much, and that's why I joked about it if running more would make him even more injured. For sure if he moves to Arsenal, that would be likely.

Arsenal should avoid players who are injury-prone from the start.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Last 4 seasons he has played on average 27 of 38 of full 90 minute EPL games. When you divide the total minutes in EPL with 90.

So he is injured quite much, and that's why I joked about it if running more would make him even more injured. For sure if he moves to Arsenal, that would be likely.

Yeah for me Maddison is a strong no. The only way I'd waiver from that stance is if he cost like 20-25m (which I don't believe he would) and he's happy being a squad player and on squad players wages (which he probably wouldn't settle for).

If you can get Simons for similar transfer fee and less wages and its for a similar role rotation and squad depth I'd do that first.

HighburyHigh

I watched the Newcastle/Leicester game couple weeks back and he was the one that really stood out amongst both teams.
I'd take him. Just the sort of squad player we need to upgrade on what we have, what with all the cup competitions next season.

drippin

Yeah for me Maddison is a strong no. The only way I'd waiver from that stance is if he cost like 20-25m (which I don't believe he would) and he's happy being a squad player and on squad players wages (which he probably wouldn't settle for).

If you can get Simons for similar transfer fee and less wages and its for a similar role rotation and squad depth I'd do that first.
Leicester relegated, but he will have big competition for his signing. So surely it's still like 40-55 million pounds for a HG EPL proven player.

Simons would make more sense yeah. And he looks like being much more able to play on the wings also, than Maddison.

Eventhough it's early to talk about Simons' durability, his current season is a strong hint that he isn't injury-prone eventhough fouled a lot.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

During all of his City tenure KDB has averaged 25 games per season, by the same logic.

Edit: I’m not saying Maddison is the answer, though

drippin

During all of his City tenure KDB has averaged 25 games per season, by the same logic.

Edit: I’m not saying Maddison is the answer, though
Well yeah, because De Bruyne has been injured quite much too?

Take into account, that even when you have smaller injuries, it takes a while to get into match fitness and ease in the injury, not to get injured again.

So that will affect their minutes played in a season a lot. I want Arsenal to buy players who are not known to be injury-prone at all.

Sparrahork

Are there any obvious hypocrites established yet who will take Maddison, but demand we move on Tomi as he is injury prone?

I just don't see Maddison joining, he is not the type of 8 we are looking for, similar with mount. I think it is the arsenal way to overlook what we actually need when yet another skillful number 10 becomes available.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Well yeah, because De Bruyne has been injured quite much too?

Take into account, that even when you have smaller injuries, it takes a while to get into match fitness and ease in the injury, not to get injured again.

So that will affect their minutes played in a season a lot. I want Arsenal to buy players who are not known to be injury-prone at all.

Yes of course he has, as well as rested as they have a squad to do so. Point being that players can have a big impact without playing every minute :)

drippin

Yes of course he has, as well as rested as they have a squad to do so. Point being that players can have a big impact without playing every minute :)
But has Maddison been rested like that in EPL? Surely not, as they don't have similar depth as City and he is their best player.

So his lesser minutes are much more likely being related to his injuries than KDB, which makes the comparison not so valid.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

But has Maddison been rested like that in EPL? Surely not, as they don't have similar depth as City and he is their best player.

So his lesser minutes are much more likely being related to his injuries than KDB, which makes the comparison not so valid.
The comparison isn't about injuries, it's about playing time. And the point is that a player can play 2/3s of a season (regardless of reasons) and still be very impactful

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom