• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Declan Rice: Cooking Again

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Rice was too easily by passed vs Bayern playing higher up the pitch. I think that tactic can work for mid-to-lower half PL teams but against top, top opposition he really should be the deepest midfielder.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It really isn't though. This is like blaming the pigeon that distracted Ramsdale. A professional footballer should be able to make the pass that Gabriel misplayed to Kiwior when under pressure. He wasn't even under pressure. Your GK coming out of the goal and then retreating 5 seconds earlier should not unsettle you to the point that you react like Gabriel did nor should a professional footballer make a total c*ckup of receiving a slightly misplayed ball the way Kiwi did. The action was over and done with. Blaming Raya is absolutely nonsensical. His part of it is long over by the time the other 2 conspire to concede. It's funny, if Raya leaks in a ball shot straight at him after a defender gives the ball away to concede that shot, Raya is still going to get the blame, so I have no idea why people are so keen to absolve the defenders of their mistake.
I would think it is really a chain of errors. Raya does push a bit too far forward, but Gabriel has ample time to deal with this in a suitable manner. Kiwior then compounds our misery. Raya then gets nutmegged.

A rather uncharacteristically soft goal for us to concede these days...

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It really isn't though. This is like blaming the pigeon that distracted Ramsdale. A professional footballer should be able to make the pass that Gabriel misplayed to Kiwior when under pressure. He wasn't even under pressure. Your GK coming out of the goal and then retreating 5 seconds earlier should not unsettle you to the point that you react like Gabriel did nor should a professional footballer make a total c*ckup of receiving a slightly misplayed ball the way Kiwi did. The action was over and done with. Blaming Raya is absolutely nonsensical. His part of it is long over by the time the other 2 conspire to concede. It's funny, if Raya leaks in a ball shot straight at him after a defender gives the ball away to concede that shot, Raya is still going to get the blame, so I have no idea why people are so keen to absolve the defenders of their mistake.

I'm not saying that Gabriel or Kiwi don't deserve blame, they both could have dealt with the situation much better. Even Gabriel pumping the ball out of play would have been acceptable.

But if Raya is where he should be, it's a simple pass back to him from Gabriel. A goalkeeper can't be caught in no mans land like that. If you come that far out as a keeper you have to deal with the situation. He's read the game wrong, not the end of the world but I don't think you can absolve him of blame.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I would think it is really a chain of errors. Raya does push a bit too far forward, but Gabriel has ample time to deal with this in a suitable manner. Kiwior then compounds our misery. Raya then gets nutmegged.

A rather uncharacteristically soft goal for us to concede these days...
There's no doubt that it's a chain of errors but the notion that Raya coming out somehow forced what happened next makes no sense. These things happen in football all the time and don't result in goals being conceded.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I'm not saying that Gabriel or Kiwi don't deserve blame, they both could have dealt with the situation much better. Even Gabriel pumping the ball out of play would have been acceptable.

But if Raya is where he should be, it's a simple pass back to him from Gabriel. A goalkeeper can't be caught in no mans land like that. If you come that far out as a keeper you have to deal with the situation. He's read the game wrong, not the end of the world but I don't think you can absolve him of blame.
My point is simply that there is far more causality in the actions of Gabriel and Kiwior than in what Raya did. The situation is still firmly under control by the time Raya goes back to where he's supposed to be. The situation is only out of control once Gabriel makes a sloppy pass under no pressure and Kiwior shows the reaction time of an OAP. People keep harping on Raya coming out when the incontrovertible reality is that there was still absolutely no real danger by the time he had retreated to his correct position. It's like VAR trying to disallow a goal by going far enough back to find an infraction that had no actual impact on the passage of play. Raya's benign error was over and done with by the time Gabriel and Kiwior made theirs.

outlawz

Exactly he was poor yesterday and could have done so much better for Gnabry goal. He is a very good destroyer we paid over 100 million for. He was kinda exposed last night

He was exposed at a CL level, but that doesn't mean he isn't good enough to be a title winner for us. Vieira was exposed every season in Europe and Keane had one good European performance (Juve) in his entire career. Both won countless domestic titles though and so will Rice.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He was exposed at a CL level, but that doesn't mean he isn't good enough to be a title winner for us. Vieira was exposed every season in Europe and Keane had one good European performance (Juve) in his entire career. Both won countless domestic titles though and so will Rice.

What?

Vieira has had excellent performances in Europe...I have seen him outplay Ballack, Emerson, Davids, Veron, Van Bommel, etc all in wins in the Champions League.

Just because we didn't win it, didn't mean Paddy wasn't one of the best midfielders in the world...it's a knock out comp at the end of the day, it's luck aswell as skill.

By your logic John Obi Mikel is a better player than Patrick, as he managed to fluke a a win it in once ffs 😅

outlawz

What?

Vieira has had excellent performances in Europe...I have seen him outplay Ballack, Emerson, Davids, Veron, Van Bommel, etc all in wins in the Champions League.

Just because we didn't win it, didn't mean Paddy wasn't one of the best midfielders in the world...it's a knock out comp at the end of the day, it's luck aswell as skill.

By your logic John Obi Mikel is a better player than Patrick, as he managed to fluke a a win it in once ffs 😅

I was being hyperbolic, and I love Vieira, but he was one of the reasons why we didn't go beyond the CL quarters. Unsurprising that once we had Cesc who suited CL football more, we reached a final and semi.

Riou

I was being hyperbolic, and I love Vieira, but he was one of the reasons why we didn't go beyond the CL quarters. Unsurprising that once we had Cesc who suited CL football more, we reached a final and semi.

That's not true at all about Paddy, imo...can you explain your view at least?

outlawz

That's not true at all about Paddy, imo...can you explain your view at least?
Whole host of factors why we did poorly in Europe during his time at Arsenal. Vieira being a ball winning box-to-box midfielder wasn't the best player type to dominate games in Europe. We lacked control in midfield and were beaten by a lot of teams. As soon as we were able to play with more possession, our performances improved massively. Wenger playing a 4-4-2 and Bergkamp missing most away games were other huge factors.

Riou

Whole host of factors why we did poorly in Europe during his time at Arsenal. Vieira being a ball winning box-to-box midfielder wasn't the best player type to dominate games in Europe. We lacked control in midfield and were beaten by a lot of teams. As soon as we were able to play with more possession, our performances improved massively. Wenger playing a 4-4-2 and Bergkamp missing most away games were other huge factors.

I disagree, Vieira was excellent on the ball in terms of passing.

I seen a similar elite box to box mid in David's get Kiev to 2 Champions League finals in that era, Valencia with Mendieta get to back to back finals (and while he was a quality player, Patrick was definitely better than him) we won a Euros and got to a World Cup final as a starting CM, he could outplay anyone.

Think Bergkamp was the main reason personally, how many teams could survive arguably their best player missing so many big away games... that's why I would put it more down to luck than Paddy.

Riou

When we were up against it in 2004, Vieira outplayed Gerrard and then the entire Newcastle midfield at St James Park in the space of 48 hrs...to help us claim the title.

This guy can't even get on the ball when Villa's best midfielder is suspended, better passer than Paddy they promised me though 🤔

TheEliteMaster100_

Turns up only when we lose
Outmatched in a midfield that did not contain Kamara and Douglas Luiz.

Earlier this week outmatched by a midfield consisting of Goretzka and Laimer and did not contain their best midfielder and top 4 player of their season, the young Pavlovic.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

He had to do better on the first goal, you can’t be ball watching in that position

Not excusing him at all, but this is why I’ve said Mikel needs to start giving guys their positions.

We have too many that can play multiple positions.

Rattata

Outmatched in a midfield that did not contain Kamara and Douglas Luiz.

Earlier this week outmatched by a midfield consisting of Goretzka and Laimer and did not contain their best midfielder and top 4 player of their season, the young Pavlovic.
Honestly you are like the worst user on here.

You can see Rice looks tired since the int. break. No surprise since Gareth always plays him 90min because apparently England only got 1 defensive midfielder.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Meh being saying all season he is a great athlete, not a great footballer. As a 6 he don’t see early passes. Since we spend 100 million on him we gotta bring in another midfield. And just park him at 6. The less he has the ball the better

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom