• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 4,864
  • Views 249,392

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

This suggests a similar scenario as what I suggested earlier regarding Gyökeres.

The link says Sporting might accept a 60 million euros base fee plus 20 million as add-ons deal for a player that has a 80 million euros release clause. They sold Bruno Fernandes in a similar package earlier.

The question is if Sporting is willing to do this for Gyökeres after they get enough money from other transfers.

I think my suggestion of 70+15 million pounds could be a good compromise for both clubs.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

This suggests a similar scenario as what I suggested earlier regarding Gyökeres.

The link says Sporting might accept a 60 million euros base fee plus 20 million as add-ons deal for a player that has a 80 million euros release clause. They sold Bruno Fernandes in a similar package earlier.

The question is if Sporting is willing to do this for Gyökeres after they get enough money from other transfers.

I think my suggestion of 70+15 million pounds could be a good compromise for both clubs.
This guy seem to be the Evan Ferguson of centre backs. Hype based on very little. He looks very clumsy defender

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Links from Portuguese media hard to believe they always link thier star club players to PL clubs. Diamonde we had long known interest in him but can't see us paying that much money on guy to be backup Gab and Saliba aren't going anywhere

CannonBals

Hopefully if we go for him, we can negotiate the fee. At 26 they have a small window to sell him for huge profit. They need to sell him for free.
But with these Portugese clubs we can never be sure.

drippin

Diamonde we had long known interest in him but can't see us paying that much money on guy to be backup Gab and Saliba aren't going anywhere
It's very important to get an almost similar level CB as Gabriel and Saliba, to rotate with them, and without the season being ruined with an injury to these players.

I think Arteta might go with something like this next season. The funds won't likely allow buying two defenders.

LB: Timber, Zinchenko
LCB: Gabriel, Kiwior
RCB: Saliba, Diomande
RB: White, Tomiyasu

Kiwior could also play LB. Diomande would be the first option for CB, Arteta already used Saliba on the LCB position this season.

Rice would have to be the emergency RCB then, because this would be a bit risky with the injury-prone players, and Timber coming back from a bad injury. I'm not totally sure I like this depth, but maybe they would have Lewis-Skelly as inverted LB backup or something.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

It's very important to get an almost similar level CB as Gabriel and Saliba, to rotate with them, and without the season being ruined with an injury to these players.

I think Arteta might go with something like this next season. The funds won't likely allow buying two defenders.

Kiwior could also play LB. Diomande would be the first option for CB, Arteta already used Saliba on the LCB position this season.

Rice would have to be the emergency RCB then, because this would be a bit risky with the injury-prone players, and Timber coming back from a bad injury. I'm not totally sure I like this depth, but maybe they would have Lewis-Skelly as inverted LB backup or something.
Why is Diomande better than Tosin who is free and PL proven? It’s funny Diomande is not even top 3 CBs for his country yet he is so rated

CannonBals

Ideally we would need 7 defenders for our back 4.
4 fullbacks White/Kiwior/Tomiyasu/Timer
3 CCBs
Saliba/Gabriel/new CB

As CB is integral position to play and their partnership matters a lot so 3 players can manage a full season and be on a same wavelength and we have many options for makeshift CB.

Offcourse the problem here is Tomiyasu being injury prone but even that can be managed. And the other problem is LB options at Kiwior/Timber/Zinchenko(?) is not great. Although jury still out on Kiwior as he is growing slowly into the role.

drippin

Why is Diomande better than Tosin who is free and PL proven? It’s funny Diomande is not even top 3 CBs for his country yet he is so rated
Tosin is pretty good, but 6 years older. Diomande looks more like Saliba potential, being very complete at a young age. Arsenal doesn't need at this point "pretty good additions". Those times are over.

Of course he is not top 3 CB for men as CB's peak later. How often do you see this young CB start for a big country? Diomande just turned 20 years old. Look at Saliba for France, even after starting for title challenging Arsenal for two years straight.

drippin

Ideally we would need 7 defenders for our back 4.
4 fullbacks White/Kiwior/Tomiyasu/Timer
3 CCBs
Saliba/Gabriel/new CB

As CB is integral position to play and their partnership matters a lot so 3 players can manage a full season and be on a same wavelength and we have many options for makeshift CB.

Offcourse the problem here is Tomiyasu being injury prone but even that can be managed. And the other problem is LB options at Kiwior/Timber/Zinchenko(?) is not great. Although jury still out on Kiwior as he is growing slowly into the role.
7 defenders are certainly not enough with the injury problems of Timber, Zinchenko and Tomiyasu. You can count Zinchenko & Tomiyasu as one player basically at this point.

But yeah, Arsenal has managed this season pretty well even without Timber, and those injury problems to the others, even Partey who played RB. So adding Diomande should be enough for next season.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Tosin is pretty good, but 6 years older. Diomande looks more like Saliba potential, being very complete at a young age. Arsenal doesn't need at this point "pretty good additions". Those times are over.

Of course he is not top 3 CB for men as CB's peak later. How often do you see this young CB start for a big country? Diomande just turned 20 years old. Look at Saliba for France, even after starting for title challenging Arsenal for two years straight.
Exactly why he is a much better. You want an inexperienced kid to be a squad player rather than an experienced mid 20s player who knows the league? I would argue Tosin is actually a better player right now.

Also he did start for Ivory Coast, just lost his place as the tournament went on as he was all over the place. I learned from the mudryk/trossard situation. The much younger player in way weaker league, may sound exciting due to YouTube highlights. But you can substitute for solid experienced pl proven

drippin

IF we can get him this window, he can be homegrown like Saliba/Martinelli in the future. Could be worth the extra price because of that.
Yeah, but Arsenal in the long-term has at least Raya, Saliba, White, Rice, Saka and Martinelli who are HG. That's 6/8, and the 3rd GK can be youth/HG player.

There are no worries with HG numbers, because of earlier good planning. And some super talents coming through.

Hato could have left Ajax for cheap, but he chose to extend. I assume this means he wants to stay, start there and get more experience. Which is wise from him.

Tomb Bombadil

We should only be bringing in 2, maximum three.

Quality>>>quantity.
Really depends how much of our squadplayers leave. But yes quality over quantity.

Most important will be CM and ST. Either go big on the CM or on the ST. Something like
  • De Jong + Sesko
  • ? + Oshimen
With the rest if we sell someone buy a backup or promote youth. Who could take a place from youth next year? Nwaneri? Patino? Biereth?

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Spending big on defender is very unlikely because Gabriel and Saliba here long term

Agreed, we need another quality forward much more than we do defender.

Not that I disagree with you but one could make that argument about Saliba RE: French MNT

drippin

Agreed, we need another quality forward much more than we do defender.
Arsenal has managed this season with only Saliba, Gabriel and White playing most games. With White at least having niggles, and Gabriel now too. Kiwior hasn't had injury problems. Tomiyasu and Zinchenko have again, and can't be trusted. Timber out for the whole season thus far, and might get more injury problems afterwards. Next season Partey won't likely be there as the RB backup, if he can even stay fit.

It's almost a miracle that Arsenal is in the title race with the best defence. What if Saliba hadn't been able to play so much, after his back problems last season? Getting one defender is a must, and even then Zinchenko has to stay who is not rated here much it seems.

I would be very happy if next summer's transfers would be like Gyökeres, Luiz/Zubi and Diomande (plus Ramsdale will be replaced, and is likely a profit). A bit similar spend like last summer with Rice, Havertz and Timber. Or switch Gyökeres to Sesko and buy another a bit cheaper player in addition. Arsenal should have more money to spend next summer with UCL money and sales though.

If the money is not there, you just go another season with Trossard and Jesus being the winger rotation players, and go big on a winger next summer.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Arsenal has managed this season with only Saliba, Gabriel and White playing most games. With White at least having niggles, and Gabriel now too. Kiwior hasn't had injury problems. Tomiyasu and Zinchenko have again, and can't be trusted. Timber out for the whole season thus far, and might get more injury problems afterwards. Next season Partey won't likely be there as the RB backup, if he can even stay fit.

It's almost a miracle that Arsenal is in the title race with the best defence. What if Saliba hadn't been able to play so much, after his back problems last season? Getting one defender is a must, and even then Zinchenko has to stay who is not rated here much it seems.

I would be very happy if next summer's transfers would be like Gyökeres, Luiz/Zubi and Diomande. A bit similar spend like last summer with Rice, Havertz and Timber. Or switch Gyökeres to Sesko and buy another a bit cheaper player in addition. Arsenal should have more money to spend next summer with UCL money and sales though.

We have Kiwior, Zinchenko, Timber, Tomi, Saliba, Gabriel, and White to cover the 4 defensive positions. By comparison, City have Akanji, Ake, Dias, Gvardiol, Stones, Walker, and Rico Lewis but I am not sure if Lewis has ever filled in anywhere in defence for City. In terms of numbers and quality we are completely fine; if your argument is that we can't trust Zinchenko and Tomi's fitness then we should sell them and replace them but buying another defender to add to the group would be terrible squad management.

If we get Diomande, we will have match days when one of the above defenders cannot even make the bench.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Top Bottom