• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,899
  • Views 196,004

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I wouldn't even label Rice and Jorginho as a 6 or 8, both can interchange. If we need help at build up, Jorginho drops a bit deeper, if we want more protection, Rice can sit deeper.. If we are playing a high press, Rice has the freedom to really hound players all over the pitch, winning balls high up, he done it on Wednesday against Laimer for instance. I think of them more as a partnership rather than defined roles

Each has strengths and weaknesses, and as long as they compliment each other that's the main thing that matters. So with that said, it's obvious Rice partner needs to be at least a good ball progressor. He's a prick but Bruno G would be a very good partner, because he can do it all, he can press high, he can defend deeper, he can progress the ball, he can play higher up the park, he can break into the box if needed.
Problem with Bruno is one has to ask how many times a season he'd be allowed to do his ABH act playing for Arsenal without getting suspended for half the season.

Brilliant player, but a proper nut job - could have easily had several reds for violent conduct were the refs not begging for nice holiday mega bucks gigs in the gulf.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I don't think he's had the creativity coached out of him yet. More so Saka if anything.. But I do think it's starting to happen. Even more so, I think they're just scared of Arteta's reaction if not playing to the system.
Anyone stop to consider that being injured and in a less overtly attacking team plus playing most games against deep or mid blocks where they are doubled (or tripled sometimes in saka;s case) up on every bloody week might be more of a factor than being coached to be less effective?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Don't think so. It started at the end of last year when teams started to go in the low block against us.
Martinelli has underperformed and we do miss Xhakha but regardless the issue is Martinelli is a transitional player who provides little against low blocks.
Saka/Ødegaard/Jorginho(?) can do that but we need more/bigger x factor than what they can provide and someone who can do consistently.
I agree, but I think it's both.

Martinelli is at his best in transition, but when on form can still be effective in tighter games. That said, I really hope next season Arteta can marry this season's control with a greater willingness to exploit transitions when they are there for us.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Anyone stop to consider that being injured and in a less overtly attacking team plus playing most games against deep or mid blocks where they are doubled (or tripled sometimes in saka;s case) up on every bloody week might be more of a factor than being coached to be less effective?
Yeah, sure. But I said this in the beginning of the season as well, so it’s not like it’s reactionary.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Yeah, sure. But I said this in the beginning of the season as well, so it’s not like it’s reactionary.
No not reactionary, just wrong ;)

In all seriousness, they probably have a little less freedom under the current system, but pointing at single ideas which are at best educated guesses for issues that are impacted by lots of factors is reductive in my view

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Highest goal scoring season last season. Another high scoring season this season.

But apparently not creative enough.

We’ve scored 38 goals from open play in the PL this season compared to Liverpool who have 44 and City with 54 goals.

Just for context sake, Utd have 32, Chelsea 38, Aston Villa 41, Newcastle 42 and Tottenham 45. We’ve been heavily reliant on set pieces but that looks to have dried up now.

Sky even covered it before we went to Dubai:

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Rice was our best signing in ŕecent history . On the other hand signing Havertz as Xhaka’s replacement was a terrible mistake which will hurt us for a long time if we don't cash in asapView attachment 23650
Quoting Gallas doesn't add weight to any argument!

Also if he gets 5 goals in the next 6 games he'll have hit Gallas' target!

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

No not reactionary, just wrong ;)

In all seriousness, they probably have a little less freedom under the current system, but pointing at single ideas which are at best educated guesses for issues that are impacted by lots of factors is reductive in my view
I get what you’re saying but at least Martinelli has pretty clearly alluded to there being a lot of restrictions in terms of freedom when speaking about Arsenal vs NT.

I could be wrong here. Quoting off of memory and we all know I’m a tiny bit biased

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
We have great goal scored and goal against after new year.

Scoring goals has not been our problem last two seasons.
That’s like say our defensive record in 15/16 wasn’t a problem. It’s not just about how much you score or concede, it’s about when you do them.

Beating West Ham 6-0 isn’t going to mean anything if you can’t score against Villa at home. A pair of 1-0 wins would’ve got the job done.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom