• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Champions League QF tonight

Sammer

Established Member
JazzG said:
Milan have been sensational since they let that goal in, I've said for a while now they are the best in europe.

Thats so true. If we actually make it to the finals, Arsenal has to have a perfect day to get by Milan. They are definately the No1 of european football (with us being no2 imo).

Sammer

Established Member
Adam said:
Arsenal can be effective against individualistic Italian teams - closer to the Premiership, and our games against Chelsea have shown how we can effectively deal with those sort of teams. Milan are very much similar to Chelsea, but have Shevchenko, Inzaghi and Kaka in comparison to Mutu, Crespo and Duff et al.

Their midfield of Pirlo, Gattuso, and Seedorf is not significantly stronger than Makalele, Lampard and Geremi.

Ultimately, Depor's passing was great, but lacked the physical bite to take them to 2-0. Arsenal have that understanding and interplay in midfield, and more power than any other team in the world.

Our power, pace, and guile is tested against Spanish teams more as they like to impose their tempo and hold onto the ball well. We can impose our game more easily against Italians, and find our rhythm as a result.

Interesting point, Adam, but it´s their defense, that makes the difference....

Soler

Established Member
Sammer said:
JazzG said:
Milan have been sensational since they let that goal in, I've said for a while now they are the best in europe.

Thats so true. If we actually make it to the finals, Arsenal has to have a perfect day to get by Milan. They are definately the No1 of european football (with us being no2 imo).

Agreed, Sammer and Jazz. We really would have to be on our absolute perfect game to beat them. I think they have a stronger defence than we do, but only slightly. Their capability to completely shut a team out is one to marvel.

On paper, this would be one of the incredible finals if it ever did happen.

AC Milan: Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Maldini, Pancaro, Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Shevchenko, Inzaghi

The Rossoneri would also have players like Jon Dahl Tomasson and Manuel Rui Costa coming off the bench. It'd be very hard to break down Maldini and Nesta, and Cafu is a brilliant right back. I think in Midfield we could just edge them, maybe.

Arsenal: Lehmann, Lauren, Toure, Campbell, Cole, Ljungberg, Vieira, Gilberto/Edu, Pires, Reyes*, Henry.

* = If this final was to happen, I would be doubtful of Bergkamp being able to play or not. If he did, it'd be interesting to see Reyes against the two Italian defenders. I think he'd probably be able to out-match Maldini for pace, but he'd be beaten through height. Henry against Nesta, Maldini and Cafu would be mouth watering to watch. There are also some doubts over who would play with Vieira. Gilberto is more effective in Europe, but Edu has been fantastic lately.

In my opinion, I think they'd beat us ... barely. It'd only be by one goal, either 1-0 or 2-1. If we can catch them on their off days (like when they've drawn against teams like Udinese, etcetera), then we definitely have enough class to beat them. But they have more experience at this level than we do.

kNiteMare

I think on paper their defense is better than us by millleeesssss....

All players on their defense are proven in europe and internation stage. Maldini, Nesta, Cafu.... while for us Toure can be said to match kaka in the level of suprised performance and both have proven to be effective even in europe. If we meet them, it will be the biggest test for him imo. Campbell is proven and i think can match either of their centre back performance wise. While i have some doubt about Cole and Lauren when compared to their full backs. Not that ours are bad, but maybe not neccessary on the same level as Cafu. Maybe Cole is as good as Pancaro (who is not first choice in the Italian squad) but i dunno enough to make a judgement.

Midfield would be close. But i think Gilberto would be a better choice over edu given the attacking talent they have and we certainly need cover for the back 4. Optimistically i say we can edge them (or bias).

Forward Henry, Shevchenko, Inzagh, Bergkamp (if he plays) are all world class. maybe a draw.

In my mind i still think they have a better defensive units than us. Hopefully we will be on our best if we manage to get to the final and actually meet them. They lost to Sparta Prague in the first leg so anything is possible.

Soler

Established Member
They did when it was 2-1, but then Shevchenko slammed home a header and Gattuso scored a flukey goal from about 35 yards out.

thegame24

Established Member
They have a great Defence but hcan they deal with players like the King Henry, The Knight Pires and the Lord Bergkamp?

I for one hope we find out as i want Arsenal to play the best teams if we are to win this thing

AFCG7

Established Member
Their defense is very good.. but i still think their formation in the middle is a bit too narrow..their width is provided by Cafu and Pancaro.. but i think playing against us those two would have to stay back...
Thats the only way i can see us beating them..exploiting the width and space on both wing positions.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
erm, we have to beat Chelsea first, then Real/Monaco to even GET to play them... not a given by ANNNNNNNNNNY means.....

Arsenal Quotes

Arsene Who?

Headlines of English media when Arsène was announced as new manager of Arsenal in 1996

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Top Bottom