• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Raya: King David

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
these past few weeks I was watching my country's U-23 played in AFC Cup for a ticket to the France Olympics
And our GK Ernando has proven he is the man to count on when everything else fail (numerous shot blocked and crosses claimed, and he is currently on 3 PK saves).
We beat Australia U23, Jordan U23 & South Korea U23, thanks to his performance.

And it got me thinking,
has Raya proven the same thing with us or he pretty much benefit from the immense defensive performance of 6 guys in front of him especially Gabriel - Saliba partnership?

They are both similar stature, Raya is 1.83m, Ernando is 1.78m (I am not saying Ernando is better)

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It should be for the goalie with the best overall stats. The most clean sheets will nearly always be for the team with the best defence in front of him, usually one of the rich teams at or near the top of the league.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

It should be for the goalie with the best overall stats. The most clean sheets will nearly always be for the team with the best defence in front of him, usually one of the rich teams at or near the top of the league.

The problem is how do we weight those stats as more important than others? Raya has a worse save % than a lot of keepers because he has a much smaller sample size (i.e., he doesn't face any where near as many shots as Pickford for ex).

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
People were so desperate for him to fail because of the Ramsdale bias but look at how good he's been. Raya and Havertz show how awful a fanbase Arsenal is and how bias people are to British players.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The problem is how do we weight those stats as more important than others? Raya has a worse save % than a lot of keepers because he has a much smaller sample size (i.e., he doesn't face any where near as many shots as Pickford for ex).
That's the same point with my question above, a team with poor defenders would end up receiving more shots.
a GK facing 21 shots, saved a PK and kept a clean sheet obviously performed well when his defenders failed.
but Arsenal can keep shots to a very minimal when we are in total control, did the GK play well or not?

Raya proven dependable during our PK shootout one time at least but I can help to wonder what if someone like prime Neuer is between the sticks

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Shot maps, save % over a season, distribution heat map, spider chart of ability to act as sweeper keeper, cross claim success, goals conceded, clean sheets. It’s a complex picture, when you analyse it. Can see why they resort to one simple idea. 😂

Last edited:

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Hope this traitor fks back off to Brentford, seeing Arteta hug him after the game is worrying though.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I'm not trying to be purposely contrarian but.....

Goal aside I was actually really impressed. He didn't let the mistake phase him and he brought a lot of confidence to the defence by nabbing tricky balls.

Look, the first goal is just a consequence of the way we play and it happens sometimes so I'm not going to hold it against him.

Well done overall IMO.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
We have to expect this from ball playing gks. Ederson, Allison also do it regularly. But come on you should consider the game and situation to take such risks though.

Playing away in the NLD and cruising is not a situation you try this silly stuff.

But other than that he was great. Especially with crosses. He didn't let that mistake affect him.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I'm not trying to be purposely contrarian but.....

Goal aside I was actually really impressed. He didn't let the mistake phase him and he brought a lot of confidence to the defence by nabbing tricky balls.

Look, the first goal is just a consequence of the way we play and it happens sometimes so I'm not going to hold it against him.

Well done overall IMO.

I'd be inclined to give you some leeway, but the fact that Raya looks like the human version of deer in headlights makes me disagree with you on a molecular level.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Convinced if you put a cucumber next to him without him seeing it, he'll do a backflip or something.

Arsenal Quotes

If you love football, you love Tomáš Rosický

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom