• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Magalhães: O Monstro

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think almost certainly Gabriel had a wobble last summer when Saliba got put on £200k and new contract wasn't forthcoming for him. Flirted with Saudi and got benched as a result.

Glad it's all getting sorted now

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I think almost certainly Gabriel had a wobble last summer when Saliba got put on £200k and new contract wasn't forthcoming for him. Flirted with Saudi and got benched as a result.

Glad it's all getting sorted now
It doesn't mean he flirted with Saudi. We can't know what happened behind the scenes. Saudi's can make an offer regardless of Gabriel, but of course it has resulted also now that he will get a raise faster than otherwise I assume. So he might have somewhat invited it to happen, even if he wasn't going to leave.

Arteta takes multiple factors into consideration, and he put better ball-playing defenders as Saliba and White to CB's against easier opponents.

While at the same time anyone can lose concentration if you're offered a huge amount of money. So Arteta likely took that into consideration, even if Gabriel would have wanted to play.

drippin

Gabby talking about how Arteta had to convince him to stay was telling.
Do you mean this quote?
"It was tough, obviously at the start. I wanted to play and it was very difficult for me but I understood what the coach had to do," he told PA Media. "It is difficult for any player to not be in the team but now I'm back in and I want to keep on working hard to prove my worth. [Arteta] spoke to me and obviously explained the reasons behind the decision. Why I should stay - but the most important thing was to remain focused and concentrate - he knew how important I was to the team, so I'm happy to be back and to be able to help the team in every game. I'm happy to be back in the team and hopefully, I can help them moving forward."

drippin

Obviously
But does it say he "had to convince him to stay" like you said?

Gabriel explains how it was difficult for him to be on the bench. He says Arteta explained why he had to stay, not that he had to convince him to stay. Where do you get that he had to convince him to stay from that quote?

And he emphasizes exactly what I said above. Arteta didn't want to risk that Gabriel isn't fully concentrated, because of the big offer that can affect anyone, so he dropped Gabriel to bench for a small time period, when he had better ball playing CB's in Saliba and White to use against easier opponents.

The quote doesn't give any proof that Gabriel was considering leaving, and like I suggested at the time, Arteta had no intention to sell him unless possibly if it was totally ridiculous money. That would have totally risked the season.
"Why I should stay - but the most important thing was to remain focused and concentrate."

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

The standout is his development for me, but credit to Arteta for coaching him into a top CB.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Gabriel explains how it was difficult for him to be on the bench. He says Arteta explained why he had to stay, not that he had to convince him to stay. Where do you get that he had to convince him to stay from that quote?

If he spoke to him about why he had to stay then by definition that is convincing him to stay? If he also then felt the need to bench him because he needed to get his head straight that suggests, necessarily, that his head had been turned? Genuine question marks there as what’s not clear is whether he was benched for tactical reasons or because he needed to get his head straight.

I’m not sure how you can argue this. It’s pretty black and white, bolding bits of the quote that you prefer doesn’t change anything. All’s well that ends well anyways everyone made the right choice in the end.

Reactions: A_G

drippin

If he spoke to him about why he had to stay then by definition that is convincing him to stay?
A__G said he had to be convinced. Where do you see that in the quote? He only says that he was explained to why he needed to stay, not that he had to be convinced.
If he also then felt the need to bench him because he needed to get his head straight that suggests, necessarily, that his head had been turned?
Not at all. Anyone can be affected by a humongous amount of money, even if they are not considering leaving. And Arteta would not have sold him anyway. Arteta is a top coach, and takes all kinds of things into consideration. He had good players to use instead, so he didn't want to risk it. It does not mean that Gabriel's head had been turned.

Again, where in the quote you see that his head was turned? He says only that he wanted to play, being on the bench was difficult, he understood why Arteta did what he did, and he is now very happy to help the team and in the future.

And now in addition there are positive talks about an extension. There is no hint at all that he has wanted to leave at any point. And it doesn't make any sense to quit his career basically, when challenging for trophies in a great young team. But you guys are free to think that Gabriel wanted to leave Arsenal for money and isn't an ambitious athlete, if that makes you happy. I 100% think otherwise.

The clearest suggestion is that Arteta thought about it psychologically, and didn't want to take a risk when he had other similar level players to use against easier opponents, who are a bit better with the ball. And Arsenal dominates those games.
Genuine question marks there as what’s not clear is whether he was benched for tactical reasons or because he needed to get his head straight.

I’m not sure how you can argue this. It’s pretty black and white, bolding bits of the quote that you prefer doesn’t change anything. All’s well that ends well anyways everyone made the right choice in the end.
It's only black and white to some. Usually those who have been wrong since the beginning about the matter. So they see what they want to see.

Last edited:

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Again, where in the quote you see that his head was turned? He says only that he wanted to play, being on the bench was difficult, he understood why Arteta did what he did, and he is now very happy to help the team and in the future.

Do you really expect Gabriel to come out and say that his head was turned? How do you think that would have gone down with Arsenal fans? You have to read between the lines yeah, these guys are media trained they won’t come and spell out all the gory details for guys like you that only want to understand things in literal terms.

You’re also arguing against yourself anyway in saying (a) he never thought about leaving and (b) Arteta thought it was a risk.

Why did Arteta think it was a risk if Gabriel’s head was never turned? This is a contradiction.

At the time I thought it was a tactical thing and I gave @A_G plenty of **** for it but when these quotes came out it was settled for me.

Ps: as for the “had to be” that you’re hung up on, this is just semantics.

• Applause
Reactions: A_G

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
But does it say he "had to convince him to stay" like you said?

And he emphasizes exactly what I said above. Arteta didn't want to risk that Gabriel isn't fully concentrated, because of the big offer that can affect anyone, so he dropped Gabriel to bench for a small time period, when he had better ball playing CB's in Saliba and White to use against easier opponents.

The quote doesn't give any proof that Gabriel was considering leaving, and like I suggested at the time, Arteta had no intention to sell him unless possibly if it was totally ridiculous money. That would have totally risked the season.
You’re just arguing semantics because you can’t admit you were wrong. Sad.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

It's only black and white to some. Usually those who have been wrong since the beginning about the matter. So they see what they want to see.

Ps ps: this is possibly the most ironic thing I have ever read on AM and in general, ever.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
He's been our best CB overall this season, in a great partnership with Saliba and has cut out 90% of his silly errors and really pushed on the past 18 months or so to a level I didn't think he would reach.

I don't think there's a player at the club that deserves a new contract more than him.

HattoriHanzo

It is now obvious (although nobody would admit it) that he received very good offer from Saudi Arabia and was seriously considering it.
This is the reason why he was benched first 3 matches of the season, he wasn’t completely focused on Arsenal.
After he decided to stay, he was immediately back in first 11.
This is how I see it.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

It is now obvious (although nobody would admit it) that he received very good offer from Saudi Arabia and was seriusly considering it.
This is the reason why he was benched first 3 matches of the season, he wasn’t completely focused on Arsenal.
After he decided to stay, he was immediately back in first 11.
This is how I see it.

It’s how most people now see it, it’s literally what the last couple of pages are about?

drippin

You’re just arguing semantics because you can’t admit you were wrong. Sad.
You're not even arguing, because you can't point out or have anything to back yourself up.

You kept suggesting Gabriel will leave and put fear into other fans on this forum at the time, and were wrong. And I argued against it at the time, and was right that he won't be sold.

I owned up being wrong about Mudryk against you, but you can't own up being wrong about Gabriel.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom