• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Houssem Aouar

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 8,500
  • Views 948,268
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Aouar can score.
Yeah I agree and I am in favour of signing him (as long as we don't have to give that agent c*nt a ridiculous fee). Just think they score it in different ways if that makes sense. Willock more of a runner who times his runs into the box well.
25M for Willock is good value in my opinion, yeah he looked great at Newcastle but so did Lingard at West Ham, both had great patches but we're yet to see it over a full season and I'd take the money while the value is high, also both are valued at probably 20-30M at this point. For me, Aouar has put in top performances in the CL every season and which is why I'd take the gamble.
Absolutely, I agree. Was just trying to nuance your statement a bit because I like Willock, but I think Aouar at 25m would be a good deal and I would sell Willock to make room in the squad for him.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Think there are lots of factors, for example, the fact there's not much money outside of England and he seems a bit of a gamble atm, the weirdest thing is why if we wanted him he's not here yet but again maybe it's down to wanting to get players out first? I don't know, probably just not interested anymore.
Its his agent or they waiting until last 2 weeks so Aulas will forced the price is too good to turn down but your agent ask for 20m agent fee will drive everyone off

But we were willing to pay 40m+ for him last year, now we are barely showing interest at basically half that price? And it's not just us, no other club is seriously pursuing him either from what I've seen.. Usually in situations like this there's a reason for the lack of interest. Feels like something's up that we are not privy to(and not his agent as a lot of players have **** agents). Should be a no brainer at that price, but now I'm doubting it.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
But we were willing to pay 40m+ for him last year, now we are barely showing interest at basically half that price? And it's not just us, no other club is seriously pursuing him either from what I've seen.. Usually in situations like this there's a reason for the lack of interest. Feels like something's up that we are not privy to(and not his agent as a lot of players have **** agents). Should be a no brainer at that price, but now I'm doubting it.
Maybe attitude problem also look like it's proven again most club apart from England just don't have money

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Good point hard to not think somethings up but suppose I am just trying to look at it from some sort of positive prospective when in reality the obvious answer is right in front of us.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Good point hard to not think somethings up but suppose I am just trying to look at it from some sort of positive prospective when in reality the obvious answer is right in front of us.

I was positive to this too and still am tbh, if he comes I'd be thrilled, but can't shake the feeling something is very wrong here. Still think it's worth the gamble, but yeah I'm not as sure anymore.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Ornstein said back in December that interest from Arsenal had cooled, looks now like that was pretty factual info.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Does seem rather suspicious that nobody else has made a move but at the reported price I'd say it's worth going for it.

I like Aouar, Ødegaard and Maddison so at this point I'd be pleased if we end up with any of them. I'd say Aouar and Ødegaard make the most sense financially plus they are both more versatile than Maddison positionally. Aouar probably the most proven at the top level as well.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

what this Ligue 1 writer said pretty much backs up what @The_Playmaker has been saying about Aouar
Thing for me here is that not one player we’ve been linked to has that ability to take a game by the balls and turn it around. Maddison and Ødegaard probably more so than Aouar but they’re not leaders in that sense imho. Despite not showing up (for whatever reason) and potential attitude problems, at some point a player is just worth it due to sheer talent and risk vs reward. For me that threshold is lower with Aouar than the others as he has a higher upside than both of them.

blrgooner

Established Member
Thing for me here is that not one player we’ve been linked to has that ability to take a game by the balls and turn it around. Maddison and Ødegaard probably more so than Aouar but they’re not leaders in that sense imho. Despite not showing up (for whatever reason) and potential attitude problems, at some point a player is just worth it due to sheer talent and risk vs reward. For me that threshold is lower with Aouar than the others as he has a higher upside than both of them.
I think the question for me is what does a player offer in a game where he is not playing well. Is he still doing the basics in terms of covering space, making simple passes where necessary, showing up as a passing option for team mates,defend properly etc.
I have not seen Aouar play too much (Except for the CL campaign where he was electric) but what people are saying makes me think he goes missing in games. If that is the case, I think that aspect should be considered in the risk vs reward calculation.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

what this Ligue 1 writer said pretty much backs up what @The_Playmaker has been saying about Aouar
Yeah his mentality is questionable,but I have also seen him turn up in big games vs City and Juventus. I am not sure Maddison or Ødegaard have that game changing quality either.

One thing I would say is that it is easier to take the game by the scruff of the neck if you are able to dribble and Aouar has that. More than the other two. So if he did come, I feel it would be a focus issue where he would have to make a Pepe like transformation.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Plus Aouar is cheaper and more attainable. His reduced effectiveness is reflected in his transfer price. If we were asking for 70m for him, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Selling Willock doesn't make room for Aouar. Selling Torreira would make room for Aouar
Makes no sense. In a 4-3-3 with an anchor Willock would be competing for the two advanced midfielder slots with Smith-Rowe, Partey, Lokonga and the signing. That's too many players for two spots in a year without Europe.

Meanwhile the CDM situation is dreadful with Xhaka and Elneny. I would still try to lose them both and get a talented CDM in (Camavinga or Caqueret) and use Partey in a more defensive role if necessary.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I think people are confusing a bad attitude with inconsistency. By all accounts he has a good attitude, he trains well etc, he's just been made vice captain. His issue has been he can just go missing from games, especially the less important games. That's been my impression sometimes when watching him, you forget he's on the pitch, but then it turns out he's usually the one who made the decisive pass or the one who found himself in space in the box.

I'd still have him here in a heartbeat, if we're so committed to ESR then what we're looking for is some competition for him, not someone to start and play 90 mins every game in the 10 position. I think Aouar would respond to a new challenge, and he adds a skill set to compliment ESR. For 25m it's good value.

Highly doubt it'll happen now though, if they still liked him surely theyd have gone for him by now.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I think people are confusing a bad attitude with inconsistency. By all accounts he has a good attitude, he trains well etc, he's just been made vice captain. His issue has been he can just go missing from games, especially the less important games. That's been my impression sometimes when watching him, you forget he's on the pitch, but then it turns out he's usually the one who made the decisive pass or the one who found himself in space in the box.

I'd still have him here in a heartbeat, if we're so committed to ESR then what we're looking for is some competition for him, not someone to start and play 90 mins every game in the 10 position. I think Aouar would respond to a new challenge, and he adds a skill set to compliment ESR. For 25m it's good value.

Highly doubt it'll happen now though, if they still liked him surely theyd have gone for him by now.
Sounds a bit like arshavin, didn't do much all game then scorers a blinder or plays a great pass.

mpower2540

Ive always wondered about the whole “goes missing” thing. Especially attacking players. Is it that they hide from the game or is it more a systematic failure?

Özil was accused of it all the time for us and yet 80% of the time if I’d rewatch the game he was one of our better players if we could get him the ball into the places he wanted to be.
Other times he’d just be either isolated from the team cos our midfield was being out ran or he’d drop deep just to get a touch of the ball, thus the system would leave the striker isolated.

I like physically strong/fast teams. I got so sick of our technicians being roughed up , nobody being able to protect them and to give the opposition a kick back. However the technical level has dropped immensely recently too. If Arteta wants to build a possession based team with technical players who can receive the ball in any area of the pitch then this is the deal that makes the most sense to me. Available at a cut price and from what I’ve seen (admittedly not as much as others) has a very high ceiling.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Ive always wondered about the whole “goes missing” thing. Especially attacking players. Is it that they hide from the game or is it more a systematic failure?

Özil was accused of it all the time for us and yet 80% of the time if I’d rewatch the game he was one of our better players if we could get him the ball into the places he wanted to be.
Other times he’d just be either isolated from the team cos our midfield was being out ran or he’d drop deep just to get a touch of the ball, thus the system would leave the striker isolated.

I like physically strong/fast teams. I got so sick of our technicians being roughed up , nobody being able to protect them and to give the opposition a kick back. However the technical level has dropped immensely recently too. If Arteta wants to build a possession based team with technical players who can receive the ball in any area of the pitch then this is the deal that makes the most sense to me. Available at a cut price and from what I’ve seen (admittedly not as much as others) has a very high ceiling.

I see it as a bit of both. I'd usually reserve it for talismanic players though. Alexis for example could never be accused of going missing. We could be 3 nil down and he'd still be fighting, demanding the ball and trying to make things happen - you'd know he was on the pitch. Ramsey was similar. An Özil' touch would never desert him, but there would be large periods of some games where he us having little influence or impact.

I can't speak on Aouar as I've barely watched him, but Maddison and Silva definitely do not hide or go missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom