• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I know in baseball they’ve supposedly altered the game to make it more entertaining and move away from the analytics push but don’t really follow it.

I think they’re looking at it with the NBA so wonder if there’s something there for FIFA to think about.

Would be difficult considering there's always gigantic pushback against any rule changes to football.

The blue card got memed into oblivion but the idea of removing a player from the pitch for 5-10 minutes would open up the game and give even less incentive to professional foul and time waste, two of the most damaging things in terms of making the product a good viewing experience.

But honestly, **** it, introduce an NBA style shot clock to football, I'd be all for it :lol: Watch Pep and Arteta's heads explode once they can't recycle possession endlessly anymore.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Guys.

I don’t know if the league is harder than it was.

All I know is that Tottenham is as **** as they’ve always been ❤️

Last time Ipswich were in the Prem was 2002, Sp**s at that point hadn't won the league or FA cup since the rebrand of the first division into the Premiership.

And now when they are finally back to the Prem in the year 2024, Sp**s still haven't changed that.

tenor.gif

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Would be difficult considering there's always gigantic pushback against any rule changes to football.

The blue card got memed into oblivion but the idea of removing a player from the pitch for 5-10 minutes would open up the game and give even less incentive to professional foul and time waste, two of the most damaging things in terms of making the product a good viewing experience.

But honestly, **** it, introduce an NBA style shot clock to football, I'd be all for it :lol: Watch Pep and Arteta's heads explode once they can't recycle possession endlessly anymore.
Having 5-10 extra man is not enough in football and it would ruin the game because the other team would resort to killing the game. We will have teams actually train to kill momentum and train 10 v 11 consistently

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I don't think anyone disputes this tbh. The game is less entertaining to watch, I genuinely haven't met anyone who says otherwise unless they're like teens who never saw anything else. Modern analytics have "ruined" other sports too, but teams follow the numbers because it works and winning means everything.

Only have one more year in me in this football thing. Will most likely stick to highlights from then onwards.

GoonerJay24

The quality has definitely gone down. I think big teams aren't tested enough nowadays and compared to other leagues; there's too much running in the PL imo.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
I think its more that people grow older, and start growing out of the game, or become desensitised to it. There's something about doing or watching something for the 300th time that it just doesn't carry the same novelty or experience. It's like sex or a different form of entertainment, it eventually gets old.

The fact that kids of today are enamoured by the game just as deeply as the olders once were tells you that the game is as enjoyable and interesting as its always been. People becoming jaded by it says more about them then it does the game itself.

The Real Bayern game two nights ago was highly entertaining, likewise the first legs of Real City and Arsenal Bayern matches. The WC final was the best final in history and the tournament was arguably one of the best ever. Football is different today, but as entertaining as its ever been, imo.
Yes, it's always the rose tinted nostalgic glasses where everything was better when you were younger stuff. Very boring.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I will always maintain while top players would excel in any era the overall technical level of players across the board is higher now.

Let's be honest some of the old school defenders from the early days of the prem could barely kick a ball ffs.

I totally get the lack of individual flair argument but some is simply down to the time & space to execute it in the modern game.

So If you are a top technician & athlete like TH14 it was probably easier to look good against old school cloggers & less structured teams.

Of course I have no doubt TH14 would still look wonderful today, just imho probably not as often.

GoonerJay24

Yes, it's always the rose tinted nostalgic glasses where everything was better when you were younger stuff. Very boring.

That does tend to happen with many things not only football. I personally think overrall lack of quality compared to years ago is vast. In 2014, I could name 10 elite PL strikers. Now, I'd only say Haaland and possibly Watkins.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
That does tend to happen with many things not only football. I personally think overrall lack of quality compared to years ago is vast. In 2014, I could name 10 elite PL strikers. Now, I'd only say Haaland and possibly Watkins.
Using the cyclical nature of sports to confirm your nostalgia is proving my point.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Watkins isn’t even a striker, he’s a LW.

GoonerJay24

Using the cyclical nature of sports to confirm your nostalgia is proving my point.
Yh, but noticing fewer top players isn't just nostalgia, but also observation. Haaland being a standout shows how rare elite level attackers have become

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You can boil down most of the criticisms of the modern game to too boring, over coached, lack of flair/ individuality.

I agree with all of those criticisms but they don't really have anything to do with the quality, more our enjoyment level as a fan.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom