• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Tbf he’s chatting bollocks here.

I remember him absolutely stealing a win at the Etihad in 2013/14 and Martin Tyler was creaming himself calling it a Mourinho masterclass.

Now he’s old and washed he’s saying people are biting his style. Strong Sam Allardyce “I could win the CL with Real Madrid” energy with these quotes.
He's having a hard time coming to terms with his irrelevance. He's never getting another top club job. People are sick of him.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He's having a hard time coming to terms with his irrelevance. He's never getting another top club job. People are sick of him.

Great in his prime but think the game has passed him by.

Players in academies these days probably aren’t developed in ways which respond to his coaching anymore.

Takes a certain type of personality to adapt and survive.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

Players in academies these days probably aren’t developed in ways which respond to his coaching anymore.

It's not a coincidence that things started going poorly for him when he wasn't the top spender in whatever league he was in anymore. I don't even think it's an issue of his personality being an issue for players because the ones that love him really love him, I think it's that he hasn't developed as a coach in 20 years and now there are other clubs that can spend what it takes to field more talented squads than he's had in recent jobs. What he did at Porto and Inter in the CL was incredible, but in the league he was poster boy for a cheque book manager before Pep went to City and since that hasn't been possible for him of late, the success has dried up.

El Realista

Putting aside the general patronisingness here (there’s no need…) you do raise some interesting points.

When Henry spoke of Pep he did make clear that in the final 3rd the attackers were free(er) to create as long as they fell back in line as soon as they lost possession. And in general you can see that Barca Pep allowed for much more spontaneity than the current iteration.

Now this could be simply down to the quality of players he had then - as good as this city side are they can’t hold a candle to the individual brilliance of Messi, Iniesta, Henry and co. You’d have to be supremely arrogant to deny those artists their lick of paint.

Or it could just be his own evolution as a manager. I never really watched Pep’s Bayern much - were they more fluid in the final 3rd than current city?

In any case it’s not cut and dry that Pep drains all creativity out of his players - we’ve seen enough great goals from City to know that much. If it was all formulaic you’d never see them score goals from low xG long range efforts for example.

It’s more pronounced with Arsenal though. Again could be a trust in players thing, or just a general Mikel thing. Jesus seemed to have enough freedom and leeway (back when he could actually move) in his play to suggest that it is the former. He used to be the one that brought the chaos factor to our attack.
I could say under mik, for some reason (I know why) every striker goes downhill. Only one barely working is Havertz and it's because he is closer to a more classic CF with aerial presence than anything. Because he can play the support role. Any striker who is a prolific scorer is going to get his numbers down, and I can sign it. We won't have a 20-25+ goals striker under his system.

Of course it doesn't help GJ is the weakest mentality player I have seen since Gervinho.

El Realista

I think some just took it to the extreme.

IMO, players on the field have a lot of freedom, but there are some criteria within.
Otherwise, we don't need any tactics or setup but just let the players play freewill football, even if they are all talented superstars.

A lot of our players do have freedom, just like when to cut in, when to attack the space, when to hold the ball longer, when to make the pass or shoot by themselves.

If we talk about "rigid", it will be on our defensive tactics.
On the offensive end, there is no such "rigid" thing.
Mostly we can say, we do not have enough creative players to do the creative things.
Only because it's impossible to not allow that. But you can see mik yelling players what to do the whole match. While Ancelotti for example, be sits and let them play with only very specific and tactical instructions from the bench. If it was possible mik would be playing FIFA with an Xbox controller connected to every player.

The system is not flexible, if it was flexible we wouldn't need the same 11 every match or the performance would drop so much. It's not a coincidence he is not rotating, and that it's because he can't deal with different options depending on players like Xabi/Wenger/Ancelotti showed on their teams.

PrinzPoldi

Player:Havertz
Only because it's impossible to not allow that. But you can see mik yelling players what to do the whole match. While Ancelotti for example, be sits and let them play with only very specific and tactical instructions from the bench. If it was possible mik would be playing FIFA with an Xbox controller connected to every player.

The system is not flexible, if it was flexible we wouldn't need the same 11 every match or the performance would drop so much. It's not a coincidence he is not rotating, and that it's because he can't deal with different options depending on players like Xabi/Wenger/Ancelotti showed on their teams.
Unless we can hear exactly what Arteta said on the field, otherwise all are just speculations.
What he said could be suggestions, not "instructions".

He asked his players to follow what he instructed, is totally different from suggesting his players looking for options and make better decision.

fute

Don't like it when Arteta has options. When he has options, then he gets creative for all the wrong reasons. Galaxy braining like crazy.

He is at his best when boundaries are placed upon him. Like when players get injured or being told no during the January transfer window. Then he is forced to be resourceful and actually manage a match and personnel with prudence.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

I could say under mik, for some reason (I know why) every striker goes downhill. Only one barely working is Havertz and it's because he is closer to a more classic CF with aerial presence than anything. Because he can play the support role. Any striker who is a prolific scorer is going to get his numbers down, and I can sign it. We won't have a 20-25+ goals striker under his system.

Of course it doesn't help GJ is the weakest mentality player I have seen since Gervinho.

Gabriel Jesus was on course to get 20-25 before his injury in his first season, relax yourself. We create chances and score a lot as it is, why the **** wouldn’t a world class striker score 20-25 here?

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Gabriel Jesus was on course to get 20-25 before his injury in his first season, relax yourself. We create chances and score a lot as it is, why the **** wouldn’t a world class striker score 20-25 here?

A world class striker would. However, Gabriel Jesus, by his own admission, is a middling striker.

This fact necessitates that we find an upgrade immediately.

Tnegs

We’ve had poverty options up front under Mik tbh. 6 months of quality Auba before he dropped off a cliff, Laca who was a poor signing, Nketiah incredibly limited and GJ ruined by injuries. Put a good striker who can finish up top and I don’t see how he doesn’t do 20+ goals a season in the league with the way we create chances and control games.

HighburyHigh

We’ve had poverty options up front under Mik tbh. 6 months of quality Auba before he dropped off a cliff, Laca who was a poor signing, Nketiah incredibly limited and GJ ruined by injuries. Put a good striker who can finish up top and I don’t see how he doesn’t do 20+ goals a season in the league with the way we create chances and control games.
Said this at the end of last season. He must do it this summer surely. Think he knows we need one as it's blatantly obvious to everyone!

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Would still like him back in the studio, at least he has won something as a manager.

Instead we are offered such managerial geniuses as Gary 'public enemy no.1 in Valencia' Neville and Roy 'I'm good at telling reporters to turn off their phone' Keane...

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Look at the picture of the interview:
66e59ac0-3ca8-45c2-a347-c74ab02ad461.png

He’s delirious, he hasn’t slept in weeks
Jose Methinho

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Would still like him back in the studio, at least he has won something as a manager.

Instead we are offered such managerial geniuses as Gary 'public enemy no.1 in Valencia' Neville and Roy 'I'm good at telling reporters to turn off their phone' Keane...

As much as those Man United guys are considered PL legends, I do think that the wider public (and especially abroad) has an asterisk against a lot of their titles given how much "Fergie time" and other obvious refereeing bias they enjoyed, mainly domestically.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom