• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Blackburn Rovers | 26/11/05

jay-d

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Glimpses, sabre, never any consistency though.

I said ages ago I don't see him making it here as a left winger, and as he seems unable to stay on his feet at present, the form of van Persie means there's no spot for him up top.

Sad to say it, and I hate to, but maybe Jose should be heading for the salida if things don't pick up soon. He's looked lost lately- since he moved back out to the left, in fact.
I don't think we need to go to such extremes. He clearly needs to develop his game still but he's young and has a lot of talent. He's not a striker, full stop. I really feel left wing can be his best position but he needs to mature and greatly improve his decision making. Some of the things he tries are darn right stupid. RVP is definatly Henrys partner and if Reyes wants a starting spot he has work on his game, I believe he can but he must start soon.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Maybe it was extreme, but he was so poor yesterday, I couldn't believe it. He ran the game against Fulham earlier this season, contributed assists against Thun and Everton, but as Rocky has always maintained he spends far too much time on his arse. Arsenal can't afford any passengers right now, and we had three of them playing yesterday. Reyes, I have to say, was one of them.

jay-d

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Maybe it was extreme, but he was so poor yesterday, I couldn't believe it. He ran the game against Fulham earlier this season, contributed assists against Thun and Everton, but as Rocky has always maintained he spends far too much time on his arse. Arsenal can't afford any passengers right now, and we had three of them playing yesterday. Reyes, I have to say, was one of them.
I totally agree, he doesn't seem to be able to grasp the concept of running around players and seems to always run into his opponent then falls over.

Gurgen

Established Member
I'm afraid he'll never make it if he doesn't start improving soon. He has the talent, the determination but lacks the brain. Something isn't right in his head and I don't know what it is.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I don't know, the talent is there, we've seen it, but he just doesn't seem able to produce... I bit someone's head off last year who had the temerity to suggest van Persie was a better prospect then Reyes, well if I could remember who that person was, I'd be apologising right now, tbbosa maybe?

longrufus

Established Member
i am actually a big fan of reyes, when he plays well he is unstoppable and can dictate and dominate games. the thing is he is so inconsistant, he is so hit and miss, you never know what your going to get. i think its nearing the time when we stop using his age as an excuse, the kid needs to grow up and start realising his potential. jay-d is right, he is not a striker, he will never be a 20goal a season man, he is a goalscoring midfielder. On the wing i think he offers a lot more, he covers back well, has a great range of passing but he needs to stay on his feet. Fair enough he does often get rough treatment but he needs to be more resiliant.

Gurgen

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
I don't know, the talent is there, we've seen it, but he just doesn't seem able to produce... I bit someone's head off last year who had the temerity to suggest van Persie was a better prospect then Reyes, well if I could remember who that person was, I'd be apologising right now, tbbosa maybe?

That's because you didn't see Van Persie play in the Dutch league. Technically the lad was always on another planet, now he's mentally right as well.

jay-d

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Probably me. Grovel boy. :lol: Only kidding. I've always said though when arguing with Kel when he claims that Reyes is our most talented player, that he is Behind firstly Henry then RVP and maybe more in that depatrment. RVP is a unique talent, trust me and we still haven't seen nothing yet.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
longrufus said:
i am actually a big fan of reyes, when he plays well he is unstoppable and can dictate and dominate games. the thing is he is so inconsistant, he is so hit and miss, you never know what your going to get. i think its nearing the time when we stop using his age as an excuse, the kid needs to grow up and start realising his potential. jay-d is right, he is not a striker, he will never be a 20goal a season man, he is a goalscoring midfielder. On the wing i think he offers a lot more, he covers back well, has a great range of passing but he needs to stay on his feet. Fair enough he does often get rough treatment but he needs to be more resiliant.

Like you I am a big fan of Reyes, he is a little workhorse when he has a mind to be however, some times he seems to disappear, I have no doubt that he will come good. That's all he needs is a few goals and he will be off, we need to have a little faith.

sabret00the

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
you done it to a bunch of people.

the fact of the matter is that at most clubs reyes won't be a striker, i mean look at us we're even about to bring in another striker, people need goals from up front and he doesn't offer them.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
sabret00the said:
RocktheCasbah said:

*Hangs head*

Sorry all... :eek:ops:

The question in mind is still this- what future does Reyes have at this club really? He's had enough games on the left to prove that he is the definitve answer out there, and he has not done it- so do we keep waiting and hoping or cut and run? Shame Arsenal seem to have already answered that question this summer.

i think one of the mods said it in another thread, reyes is not a winger, hes a striker, that at the moment cant score. too many people say he should be played on the wing just because he isnt scoring when he plays as striker, and so therefore he is more of a winger.

the fact of the matter is, reyes is a striker.

thats why wenger signed him

hes extremely talented but for what ever reason it maybe, he cant put the ball in the back of the net.

Killer7

sabret00the said:
RocktheCasbah said:
the fact of the matter is that at most clubs reyes won't be a striker, i mean look at us we're even about to bring in another striker, people need goals from up front and he doesn't offer them.

Ommigod, don't open that assists can'a'worms dude!!! :lol:

1970*Gooner said:
Like you I am a big fan of Reyes, he is a little workhorse when he has a mind to be however, some times he seems to disappear, I have no doubt that he will come good. That's all he needs is a few goals and he will be off, we need to have a little faith.

Agreed.

Clear to see both RVP and JAR had/ have problems mentally. Wengers approach with Robin's clearly worked. With Reyes it hasn't although he is still young - he's just turned 22.

To suggest offloading him is, IMO, madness.

sabret00the

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
sabret00the said:
RocktheCasbah said:

*Hangs head*

Sorry all... :eek:ops:

The question in mind is still this- what future does Reyes have at this club really? He's had enough games on the left to prove that he is the definitve answer out there, and he has not done it- so do we keep waiting and hoping or cut and run? Shame Arsenal seem to have already answered that question this summer.
i think half problem could be pires, he needs real competition and pires just isn't that, thoughts?

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I don't follow that really, I think Reyes probably needs to know he's number one, rather than feel he has competition.

I have to say in fairness to joven Jose, the observation that Thierry kept moving into Reyes' space out on the left yesterday is probably a true one. Certainly every time the ball came left Henry was there, Reyes seems uncertain whether to support Henry there or drive on into the middle- he probably feels damned if he does, damned if he don't, to quote a certain Bartholomew Simpson esq.

Killer7

RocktheCasbah said:
I have to say in fairness to joven Jose, the observation that Thierry kept moving into Reyes' space out on the left yesterday is probably a true one. Certainly every time the ball came left Henry was there, Reyes seems uncertain whether to support Henry there or drive on into the middle- he probably feels damned if he does, damned if he don't, to quote a certain Bartholomew Simpson esq.

Of course, which combined with Cygan at LB left Reyes in a bit of a pickle hence some of the damning he's getting because he wasn't all that yesterday is just a teeny bit harsh.

A couple of goals + an improved understanding with Henry will do no end of good!

I was fairly confident that Henry was staying, however his attitude in the last couple of performances has left a stronger doubt in my mind. BUT that only got me thinking to what Reyes could do with a free run in front of him :!: :!:

And whilst I'm on it, if he's not willing to sign a contract now then he can't expect the club to keep him as the attacking focus so HE has to start adapting to other players.

A

Anonymous

RocktheCasbah said:

Didn't I say this more harshly and negatively ages ago? :eek:
Meh.

As per your question, I don't see Reyes as a genuine left winger, I doubt he can be converted effectively to provide goals.

Essentially let's get the two main gripes out of the way. He can't make use of his natural assets. He can't score. Those two things are subjective and can change, but I don't see it changing anytime soon. That rules him out of a striking slot. And it reduces his claim for a a left midfield role.

So where does he fit? Assuming there is still firm faith for Reyes to have a role in Arsenal. Some sort of playmaker - The whole shadow striker thing is not only flawed, it's a role that Arsenal don't need. Whether it's Henry + RVP. And/or Kuyt, Torres.. it will be a more direct, feck a defence and get a goal type of attacking pattern.. and it's finally dawning on Henry's brain.

Again, I keep talking about this solution, as it's simply the only way I see accomidating Reyes on current form outside of first or second half starts - And that is part of a 5 man midfield. Which again means Arsenal going to a 3-5-2. Of which Arsenal aren't capable right now.

When Reyes was hype of the season, people were talking madly about him beating people, if he can consistently beat people, then sure, give him the left channel to run at, tell him directly - Run your ass off on that flank, beat the person and get some crosses or passing going on the left.
If he's inneffective in the first half, give him 10mins of the second half to try again, if it doesn't work.. sub him with Pires and try the supersub theory.

It's the fact that Reyes's current limitations are so important, why he has no actual position to call his own, and that in itself must drain confidence.
Not actually being able to say, I am a striker, or midfield etc.
But without goals.. he can't operate as an attacking midfielder either.

A very limited playmaker. Like Quincy, he can't make the most his assets.

The positive thing is, that the best make use of their assets.. so if Reyes and Quincy figure out how to make use of their potential qualities.. they should make it easily.

yoinkster

I think Jose is just short a goal or two, he seems to want to do everything to score this elusive {wonder} goal and when he eventually gets one or two under his belt, he'll play with a lot more freedom and confidence, just look at RVP he's full of confidence and can bearly do no wrong it seems.
Reyes is just a bit emotional, I think he takes it personally as such and tells himself he's rubbish if he gets something wrong but I'd rather he tried and get it wrong than just float aimlessly on the pitch and not touch the ball. One day it'll all fit into place for him and I just hope that it's in an Arsenal shirt

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom