• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Manchester United | 03/01/06

whoztheman

RocktheCasbah said:
whoztheman said:
any sign of reyes showing a hint of getting back on track results in "masturbation"around here.

Such a cheap shot and you're better than that. You even edited your post to add that!

Reyes was our best player against Portsmouth, he worked his arse off and scored a goal. Same against Charlton without the assist. And he put some major effort into last night, in your rush to lavish praise on Cygan, you forget how many times Reyes had to sprint back to cover the guy, in fact I'm sure Reyes ended up playing left back for a couple of minutes last night, so positionally clueless is Cygan.

And one 25 yard free kick over the bar is end product is it? That's what we're entitled to expect from one of the best players in the world? I despair of you lot sometimes.

actually i added one whole paragraph to my previous post...but damn...the cheap shot dint impress, uh?!!

regarding reyes protecting cygan, just watch the match again and you'll see pires doing the same (admittedly for the first time this season) to lauren. infact pires and hleb gave the defense some good cover. it wasnt just reyes. but you guys are so hung up on him-any small thing he does is magnified ten times as if there's no other player on earth who could do the things he could.

what do i want from reyes, you ask? i honestly dont know but its upto him to show us and what we have seen so far dont impress. he's trying no doubt. in my opinion he will develop much better and realise his potential/talent(which kel believes in so much) in his home country. that's my honest opinion on the whole issue.

longrufus

Established Member
Great post asa, agree 100%.

Henry really did annoy me aswell, i dont know what was going through his head when he stopped and pulled wide, but punching him in the face was going through mine. And i will accept no excuses that the position is new to him, its quite simple, stay mainly central, and make runs when the midfield is breaking. I think if RvP was playing in the same role, he would have scored.

Ruslan Matuzau

Viper said:
Kha0z said:
Ji Sung Park.
What Park lacks in pass ability, he makes up with directness, stamina, ball control and endeavour.
So Hleb has no ball control?

I'd say his ball control is better than Park's. He is also a lot more quicker than Park.
on spot. and it's not Hleb's fault that Park assists to RVN and Rooney, and Hleb to Henry (the way he is at the moment), Flamini and Fabregas. :cry:

Sammer

Established Member
Hleb does not play to his potential yet.

He is a player, that I have absolutely no worry that he will shine for us. Give him this season and he´ll be a regular starter in midfield next season.

On Reyes, I find it pathetic to discredite his performances no matter how well he plays.

The problem with José is: he cost us a fortune and many of us still expect him to rip defences apart like he did with the Galacticos.
If this is the standard he is being measured - ok, then he is a dissapointment.

However, if our attack (Henry - and in the future henry and RvP) and mifield will get some movement together this season, Reyes will even convince the harshest critics.

For now, his heart, his workrate and ability to intiate attacks (his passing ain´t so bad either) is pretty much the best next to Cesc what we have in midfield at the moment.

KingReyes

Established Member
I think the reason Reyes is getting a higher rating than other players is because of his efforts on the defensive end.

Some have said he wasn't effective on the attacking side but IMO he did just as much as the others like Pires,Hleb, Henry etc.

But I felt his work rate was good and covered well for Cygan who needed the help.

Maybe he didn't deserve the MOTM which I gave him looking at how well Sol and Kolo played but I guess his hard work won me over.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
whoztheman- I'm not asking what you want of Reyes anymore because it's fairly clear to me that without 20 goals a season and at least that in assists you're going to make life miserable for every Reyes supporter on this forum. That's fair enough, it's your choice. But still nobody has explained to me why Reyes' commitment to the cause is sniffed at.

Tegh

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
patrick42uk said:
i;m slightly surprised at the ratings reyes is getting. i think he worked very hard and played like he had something to prove. i also feel he went overboard on the closing down e.t.c to make up for his lack of a real threat offensively. i dont remember him creating anything, taking shots on target e.t.c. maybe he bit neville a few times but i dont remember it leading to anything in particular.

maybe i shouldnt be surprised. there is a desparation for him to do well that i cant understand. on some of his worst performances, we still get his name being sung at highbury. maybe its the work rate. could explain why pires is hated so much too. but we cant forget his priority should be in offesnive duties.

first of all, you're wrong. he created a lot. the fact that cesc, hleb and henry gave the ball away seconds later doesn't change reyes' performance. reyes was our main offensive threat last night.

as for your second paragraph, i really don't get you. work rate is now something negative? please, get real. great stamina is extremely important in football. you also say his priorities should be the offensive duties; are you forgetting that cygan was playing left back? reyes had to protect him. don't know how many times reyes helped cygan out covering ronaldo.

Bingo, well put kel.

Tegh

Established Member
whoztheman said:
patrick42uk said:
i;m slightly surprised at the ratings reyes is getting. i think he worked very hard and played like he had something to prove. i also feel he went overboard on the closing down e.t.c to make up for his lack of a real threat offensively. i dont remember him creating anything, taking shots on target e.t.c. maybe he bit neville a few times but i dont remember it leading to anything in particular.

maybe i shouldnt be surprised. there is a desparation for him to do well that i cant understand. on some of his worst performances, we still get his name being sung at highbury. maybe its the work rate. could explain why pires is hated so much too. but we cant forget his priority should be in offesnive duties.

is that the voice of reason i'm hearing!! lol. brilliant, fair stuff mate. kudos.

edit:reyes' work-rate, commitment etc etc did it result in anything? a goal? a shot on goal? a shot OFF target? no. sol, kolo, ralph. cygan and gilberto did all the hard work, they get stuck in, they tackle, they played out of their skins yesterday-all that goes unnoticed-reyes is the MOM. henry, pires apparently had a bad game-but they took shots on goal and passed balls into the penalty area a lot more than what reyes did.

any sign of reyes showing a hint of getting back on track results in "masturbation"around here.
One of the most * posts I've ever seen..
Reyes's work-rate, commitment and tracking back resulted in various Utd players, Ronaldo in particular being pressured to get rid of the ball ASAP and make mistakes. Had Reyes not bothered running back, Ronaldo could have skinned Cygan countless numbers of times, and would probably have been upended again, thereby receiving a red card.

Honestly, sometimes the trash some people post is appalling. You make it sound as if Reyes didn't play out of his skin, when he was the guy who was running here, there and everywhere trying to win back posession and create chances. As Kel said, it's not his fault it didn't lead to anything when the person he supplies screws the move up.

The fact you used ''apparently'' with regards to describing Henry's performance begs me to think whether you even watched the game. ''Oh, Henry passed the ball into the box one time more than Reyes did, who worked his ar$e off all game whilst Henry was as effective as sh!t - so yeah, Henry was better.'' I love the logic behind that one, congratulations, seriously.

Tegh

Established Member
Viper said:
Kha0z said:
Ji Sung Park.
What Park lacks in pass ability, he makes up with directness, stamina, ball control and endeavour.
So Hleb has no ball control?

I'd say his ball control is better than Park's. He is also a lot more quicker than Park.

Hleb's first touch is generally great, he seems to tap the ball slightly to get it out of his feet, and because he's so quick footed he can get the ball away quickly. Although he does make some good through balls, he has in previous games given the ball away too easily and too frequently, but I'm happy to say that was not the case last night.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
whatever it is i believe it's the "walking the ball in the net" mentality is that one thing that bars reyes, hleb and van persie's from making shots outside of the box that could've possibly create numerous goals.

Tegh

Established Member
whoztheman said:
regarding reyes protecting cygan, just watch the match again and you'll see pires doing the same (admittedly for the first time this season) to lauren. infact pires and hleb gave the defense some good cover. it wasnt just reyes. but you guys are so hung up on him-any small thing he does is magnified ten times as if there's no other player on earth who could do the things he could.
That is seriously laughable.
Reyes saved us early on by sprinting back to aid Cygan who was about to get jizzed on by Ronalqueero, and it wasn't just the once he did that. Pires tracked back? Maybe twice, but I distinctly remember shouting at the tv for him to come back and help Lauren after he gave the ball away. I watched him walk back as Giggs ran down the pitch, and then layed the ball off to Lauren. Where was Pires before Lauren scythed down Ronalqueero? I'm a fan of Reyes, so I'm bound to be presumed bias, but you're like the complete opposite - overly critical.

Sammer said:
The problem with José is: he cost us a fortune and many of us still expect him to rip defences apart like he did with the Galacticos.
If this is the standard he is being measured - ok, then he is a dissapointment.

However, if our attack (Henry - and in the future henry and RvP) and mifield will get some movement together this season, Reyes will even convince the harshest critics.

For now, his heart, his workrate and ability to intiate attacks (his passing ain´t so bad either) is pretty much the best next to Cesc what we have in midfield at the moment.
That is spot on, and straight down the line. For Reyes's transfer fee, we expect a lot, and rightly so. But he is very much a player who thrives on confidence as Van Persie does, most players do. We've seen in brief flashes against Portsmouth (his goal - great finish, and his pace and assist for Bergkamp's goal), and Charlton (starting the move, then laying the final ball off to Freddie in space that he wasted against Charlton), and last night with his continuous skinning of Neville, and various other examples mentioned in posts above, what he brings to us when he's on form. Once he gets some consistency it's game over.

EDITED: To remove some of the random space lines between the quote box and text below - I like my posts to look good, sue me. I edited it again, still didn't look right. Ok, now I'm done.

Tegh

Established Member
bojed said:
whatever it is i believe it's the "walking the ball in the net" mentality is that one thing that bars reyes, hleb and van persie's from making shots outside of the box that could've possibly create numerous goals.
Also true, but you know, clearly the 30 or so people who voted for Reyes as MOTM last night are wrong - the guy sucks ar$e apparently.

See what happens when you're overly critical on Reyes? Now I have a callus, thanks a bloody lot.

kel varnsen

Established Member
KingReyes said:
I think the reason Reyes is getting a higher rating than other players is because of his efforts on the defensive end.

Some have said he wasn't effective on the attacking side but IMO he did just as much as the others like Pires,Hleb, Henry etc.

he did a lot more than them. he made a lot of good runs, passed the ball very well and dribbled manu defender a lot more than hleb, henry and pires. toure was our best player yesterday, but reyes was, by far, our best offensive player. the fact that cesc, hleb & co gave the ball away after reyes passed the ball to them, doesn't change reyes' performance. now, he wasn't brilliant, but he played very well.

some of you people are truly clueless. not only was he our best player on the ball, but he was also our best player off the ball. that is what's been lacking recently. good movement off the ball. if hleb, cesc, henry and pires had made half the effort of reyes, we'd probably score a lot more goals. reyes is not only our best player on the ball at the moment, he is by far our best player off the ball as well, but he still gets a lot of stick. *...

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Tegh said:
See what happens when you're overly critical on Reyes? Now I have a callus, thanks a bloody lot.

In a thread where the words "Reyes" and "masturbation" have been used in conjunction far too often for my lliking, did you really need to say that?

:lol:

Tegh

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Tegh said:

In a thread where the words "Reyes" and "masturbation" have been used in conjunction far too often for my lliking, did you really need to say that?

:lol:
Probably not, but it saves me having to pm you the details like usual, because everybody knows we can't get enough of Reyes. I'll send you that picture I manipulated of him in a g string later. :roll:

Tegh

Established Member
You're welcome.
Let me know If at any time my posts start to get sick, starting from now. ^^

A

Anonymous

Reyes getting MOTM awards is just as much about the lack of effort from the rest of the players, as much as it is about Reyes's own performances.

Because let's be fair, Reyes isn't going to even test a goalkeeper unless inspired and playing as a lone ass striker.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Ratinho said:
Although you can see I agree about Reyes yesterday, why is it a bad thing his name being sung so often?

fair point about the boy being a confidence player. but reyes has put in some atrocious performances in his time here and still had his name ringing round highbury. i wonder also how it makes his team-mates feel when he gets that undesrved praise. i dont expect him to be booed when he plays crap but he shouldnt be rewarded for it.

i just get this feeling that reyes is liked for factors not linked to footballing ability or potential. maybe its because he works hard and has a smile on his face, but then coupled with scoring 15 goals a season wiltord was exactly the same yet he didnt get no special treatment.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
fair point about the boy being a confidence player. but reyes has put in some atrocious performances in his time here and still had his name ringing round highbury. i wonder also how it makes his team-mates feel when he gets that undesrved praise. i dont expect him to be booed when he plays crap but he shouldnt be rewarded for it.

i just get this feeling that reyes is liked for factors not linked to footballing ability or potential. maybe its because he works hard and has a smile on his face, but then coupled with scoring 15 goals a season wiltord was exactly the same yet he didnt get no special treatment.

I am glad..those who are lucky enough to go to highbury do NOT have your attitude. The first thing in football that any football fans appeciates is the "effort". And if you are having a bad day.which happens in all professions..the fact you gave it all will always give u PROPS. Look at Toure though his position does cause more damage on off-nights,,but you can never take away the heart/passion he puts in the game..and since you already know he has skills..then on off-days you still want to encourage him. Its very f* NATURAL and logical to do that. I am a Pires fan..but i know he will always get stick on bad days at the office cos he has never proven his work rate..and same goes to quite a lot of our french players. So let HIGHBURY clap for Reyes, he works his butt off..gets tired with more defensive work..then you slag him for not creating sh* upfront. Well put him upfront and see for yourself. Even the few times we played with him as the lone striker..you could see how much he tracked back when we lost the ball compared to our captain..who spends most of the time..just walking around..talking to himself.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom