• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Sambi Lokonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
A small update: Anderlecht has bought Ashimeru from RB Salzburg, this is the replacement for Lokonga. Pretty much impies that we are speculating on a move awat. Still no news on his destination.

Reactions: A_G

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
A small update: Anderlecht has bought Ashimeru from RB Salzburg, this is the replacement for Lokonga. Pretty much impies that we are speculating on a move awat. Still no news on his destination.
It's probably not gonna be to us IMO. I'd love for Lokonga to come here but I'd imagine because he isn't "proven" yet they'll let him slide. I look at Azeez and Patino being touted as fringe first teamers next season (which I doubt they'll actually play any minutes) and it reminded me that we already have similar players coming through, particularly in the case of Azeez who is physically adept. Still, would be nice to have a slightly more ready-made version.

Lokonga will probably go to a team like Brighton, he might even replace Bissouma.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
How are we so bad at signing players with great potential.
Because Arteta IMO doesn't really want potential because he can't rely on it, he wants players who can immediately come in and do something. That's not to say Lokonga can't but perhaps a reason why we are targeting a player like Neves instead, who's been in England for a minute and knows the league.

As I also outlined, regarding the type of midfielder Lokonga is, we already have not 1 but 2 similar players to him, both younger and also with a great deal of potential. I personally would still like us to sign him as I think his ceiling could be very high but I've revised my thoughts on it slightly as it's not really a need. I think focusing our attention on Bissouma and (sigh) Neves would be a better bet.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Because Arteta IMO doesn't really want potential because he can't rely on it, he wants players who can immediately come in and do something. That's not to say Lokonga can't but perhaps a reason why we are targeting a player like Neves instead, who's been in England for a minute and knows the league.

As I also outlined, regarding the type of midfielder Lokonga is, we already have not 1 but 2 similar players to him, both younger and also with a great deal of potential. I personally would still like us to sign him as I think his ceiling could be very high but I've revised my thoughts on it slightly as it's not really a need. I think focusing our attention on Bissouma and (sigh) Neves would be a better bet.

I've always wanted the Dortmund route and a coach that thinks in that manner from day one after Wenger.

Thought Arteta was to embrace that approach, it's where he let me down the most and Saliba was the prime example as to why I'm fed up.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Agree, I doubt we would sign Neves and Lokonga because they have similar styles and wouldn't both play. Not a massive fan, but Neves would be the more immediate, safer option with PL experience and decent defensive prowess.

TornadoTed

Established Member
We definitely need at least 2 midfielders so this one makes sense alongside another more high profile name like Neves or Bissouma, I can't see us buying two £30-40mcentral midfielders.

I still feel the biggest problem with the Xhaka/Partey partnership was not the partnership itself particularly but the drop off in quality if either didn't play and Ceballos or Elneny started.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
Belgian press is very quiet around Sambi though. Only read yesterday that AC Milan isn't in the race anymore. But no more specific details about where is is heading.

Impact

Established Member
Watched a number of videos and Lokonga looks a good prospect but in my opinion, not a good enough one to justify blocking the pathways of Miguel Azeez and Charlie Patino and with Joe Willock still on our books. I'd pass right now and use the funds elsewhere.

Having said that, once our squad rebuild has been completed, this is exactly the type of profile we should be targeting and utilising loans (to PL and other continental sides) to develop for the first team or to sell on for profit.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Watched a number of videos and Lokonga looks a good prospect but in my opinion, not a good enough one to justify blocking the pathways of Miguel Azeez and Charlie Patino and with Joe Willock still on our books. I'd pass right now and use the funds elsewhere.

Having said that, once our squad rebuild has been completed, this is exactly the type of profile we should be targeting and utilising loans (to PL and other continental sides) to develop for the first team or to sell on for profit.
Not going to block anybody because we are losing many midfielders. Even for example we signed Lokanga and Neves guys like Azeez will be 5th choice

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
The Athletic today reported that Lokanga is a target in midfield but not from orny its from the Gunnerblog who less reliable

Last edited:

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
In terms of profile this signing makes sense. We don't have a number 6 in the squad currently aside from Elneny (not counting AMN and Torreira) and Elneny is dreadful. A starting 6 and a promising back-up 6 make sense in that regard. Don't know this particular player, but his profile is appealing to me.

Impact

Established Member
Not going to block anybody because we are losing many midfielders. Even for example we signed Lokanga and Neves guys like Azeez will be 5th choice
Of course he would. Where is the game time for Azeez (19 near the start of the season) and Patino (18 near the start of the season) going to come from over the next two to three years if we sign a 21 year old project? It’s fine if you think he is an elite talent (ala Camavinga) but if he’s a level below there’s little point. I would have thought people would have had more faith in Hale Enders given Saka and Smith Rowe and to a lesser extent Willock, Maitland-Niles, Nketiah and Iwobi’s emergences in recent years. We clearly have a lot of internal talent requiring game time for development.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Of course he would. Where is the game time for Azeez (19 near the start of the season) and Patino (18 near the start of the season) going to come from over the next two to three years if we sign a 21 year old project? It’s fine if you think he is an elite talent (ala Camavinga) but if he’s a level below there’s little point. I would have thought people would have had more faith in Hale Enders given Saka and Smith Rowe and to a lesser extent Willock, Maitland-Niles, Nketiah and Iwobi’s emergences in recent years. We clearly have a lot of internal talent requiring game time for development.
Depends a 1 or 2 injures and Azeez chance will come also i dont think the coaching stuff will risk and put Azeez Patino as 4th choice because we want ready players to compete for top 4 at least i think we may send them on loan specially we dont have europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is keen to reunite with Ramsdale if the club can make an acceptable offer [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom