• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 4,864
  • Views 249,042

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Although have a feeling this only happens if Zubimendi doesn't move. From all the noises it seems he is first choice. (I would prefer Luiz personally)
We buy Luiz if hes available. Tets prefers epl experience if he can get it.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Although have a feeling this only happens if Zubimendi doesn't move. From all the noises it seems he is first choice. (I would prefer Luiz personally)
Arsenal has been after Luiz for ages. Pretty sure he is the first option if available.

Villa likely get UCL, and will look at Rice price. So he will likely cost 80-90 million pounds with 2 years left. They got him to extend once, so might be willing to let him leave, and get proper money like you say. Can't see him extending and losing his opportunity to move to a big club to win trophies.

Luiz is worth paying 20-30 million more than Zubimendi. He is proven durable in EPL, and knows the league inside out.

Sungod

Luiz is worth paying 20-30 million more than Zubimendi. He is proven durable in EPL, and knows the league inside out.
Definitely no. 1 Target for me.
Just makes Striker and Winger option harder.

Maybe, just Maybe we can go for Luiz and a Striker/Winger Hybrid.
Maybe Two signing for these positions which significantly raises our Starting 11.

But this Hybrid will also be near Luiz Money.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Like last year put 200m on Isak/Luiz/Williams and we are golden (almost still would need a GK/LB)
Isak is too injury prone, too expensive, and not really needed.

Luiz is too expensive for how actually good he is, we could do better.

Williams is fine, pretty good profile.

drippin

Tbf if we get Isak (and if he stays fit which I’m not convinced he can … ) we don’t need another winger as he can play across the front line.
I was talking about completing the squad in the long run. Yeah one attacker might be enough this summer as we both see the top midfielder as the most important addition.
I’m also not convinced we need anyone in defence with Timber back. If we say sell Zinny/Tomi then yeah different story. I’d like a defender sure but “need” is a different thing altogether.

Basically I want quality over quantity this summer.
Getting back from a nasty injury can mean that the player keeps getting niggling injuries in the next season. Zinny & Tomi are basically one player, not two, with how they can keep fit. And that's proven over two seasons.

Something like this is the minimum requirement for me. Need a player who can rotate with Saliba well, so the season won't be ruined with a couple unexpected injuries to the defence.

This season Gabriel and Saliba have played a huge amount of minutes, and if they hadn't been able to, the title challenge would have been over a long time ago. White has been playing with niggling injuries. It's not a risk Arsenal should take.

LB: Timber, Zinchenko

RB: White, Tomiyasu

LCB: Gabriel, Kiwior

RCB: Saliba, Diomande

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Something like this is the minimum requirement for me. Need a player who can rotate with Saliba well, so the season won't be ruined with a couple unexpected injuries to defence. This season Gabriel and Saliba have played a huge amount of minutes, and if they hadn't been able to, the title challenge would have been over a long time ago. It's not a risk Arsenal should take.

LB: Timber, Zinchenko

RB: White, Tomiyasu

LCB: Gabriel, Kiwior

RCB: Saliba, Diomande

Yeah I think this would be ideal but as you say we should be able to get a season out of the current guys without any additions, purely because of how versatile some of our defenders are. Tomiyasu and Ben can genuinely cover 3 if not all 4 of the back 4 positions. We haven’t seen enough of Timber but I suspect he can as well.

They will be a step down from Saliba. But so will literally anyone we buy regardless.

We’ve done a really good job buying these really versatile players for presumably this exact reason. I trust them to get it done.

drippin

Yeah I think this would be ideal but as you say we should be able to get a season out of the current guys without any additions, purely because of how versatile some of our defenders are. Tomiyasu and Ben can genuinely cover 3 if not all 4 of the back 4 positions. We haven’t seen enough of Timber but I suspect he can as well.

They will be a step down from Saliba. But so will literally anyone we buy regardless.
Timber will very likely be a top player for Arsenal, but the point was about that Arsenal has more risk for next season because of his long injury. So it will be even more risk on top of Zinny & Tomi.

That's three players who will likely not stay fit for the whole season. So you have only four defenders you can expect to stay fit for most of the season if you buy no one. This means you have to assume Rice needing to play RCB at some point, which will affect the midfield then.

Arsenal should not risk the whole season like this, when we know the risks involved with these defenders, especially Zinny & Tomi. Buying no one would mean Arsenal has 6 defenders for 4 positions, plus Rice, when you count Zinny & Tomi as one player.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Timber will very likely be a top player for Arsenal, but the point was about that Arsenal has more risk for next season because of his long injury. So it will be even more risk on top of Zinny & Tomi.

That's three players who will likely not stay fit for the whole season. So you have only four defenders you can expect to stay fit for most of the season if you buy no one. This means you have to assume Rice needing to play RCB at some point, which will affect the midfield then.

Arsenal should not risk the whole season like this, when we know the risks involved with these defenders, especially Zinny & Tomi.

But then we should sell one of Zinny or Tomi right? Otherwise the squad is just too bloated, in terms of numbers if not availability.

drippin

But then we should sell one of Zinny or Tomi right? Otherwise the squad is just too bloated, in terms of numbers if not availability.
It's not possible yet, because replacing these quality players will cost a lot more than you can get for them after their injuries.

It's not bloated if you have 8 defenders for 4 positions in a title challenge year, when two of them are injury-prone.

City has Stones, Dias, Akanji, Ake, Gvardiol, Walker, Lewis and Gomez this year. That's 8 defenders, just like expected.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

It's not possible yet, because replacing these quality players will cost a lot more than you can get for them after their injuries.

Right, but now you’re assuming they won’t get injured next year and we will be able to sell them for a decent amount (even though they’ll have one less year on their contracts). Because if they do suffer continued injuries no one will want to buy them.

You can’t have it both ways - either assume they will be fit, or assume they won’t.

drippin

Right, but now you’re assuming they won’t get injured next year and we will be able to sell them for a decent amount (even though they’ll have one less year on their contracts). Because if they do suffer continued injuries no one will want to buy them.

You can’t have it both ways - either assume they will be fit, or assume they won’t.
You can't seriously say Arsenal or me should expect these two players to stay fit, when everyone knows they haven't?

Arsenal has so many other big needs, that this year it's likely possible to buy only one defender. So you hope they can stay fit by playing less, and then it looks like they have overcome their injury-proneness and you can get a better fee for them.

You have a very weird argument here. 8 defenders is required, just like City has, and we have known since last Ice Age that is required for a top team challenging for trophies.

It's not bloated at all, where have you got this idea? You can compare Zinny & Tomi with Lewis & Gomez in the lineup, who would play less.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

You can't seriously say Arsenal or me should expect these two players to stay fit, when everyone knows they haven't?

Arsenal has so many other needs, that this year it's likely possible to buy only one defender. So you hope they can stay fit by playing less, and then it looks like they have overcome their injury-proneness and you can get better fee for them.

You have a very weird argument here. 8 defenders is required, just like City has, and we have known since last Ice Age that is required for a top team challenging for trophies.

It's not bloated at all, where have you got this idea?

I’m not assuming they’ll stay fit. I think you need to reread what I wrote.

I’m saying if you think they won’t stay fit, then why on earth do you think it would be more optimal to hold onto (both of) them for another year? Because if they can’t stay fit again, then there is no way they will fetch more money next summer than they would now.

drippin

I’m not assuming they’ll stay fit. I think you need to reread what I wrote.

I’m saying if you think they won’t stay fit, then why on earth do you think it would be more optimal to hold onto (both of) them for another year? Because if they can’t stay fit again, then there is no way they will fetch more money next summer than they would now.
I edited my post: "Arsenal has so many other needs, that this year it's likely possible to buy only one defender. So you hope they can stay fit by playing less, and then it looks like they have overcome their injury-proneness and you can get a better fee for them."

Do you understand that currently you could maybe get 40 million pounds for them, while they with their level are worth like 80 million pounds at least when fit, as an example? Do you understand how much this affects the other business?

Do you also understand that no top manager wants to have a huge overhaul to the squad, which will already happen by letting go of Hale Enders and other players who are not the required level. The time for Zinchenko and Tomiyasu to go can't be this year, it's the next summer or later when it's possible.

You are already suggesting Arsenal doesn't even buy 8th defender, and lets go of these for cheap. Sounds pretty crazy to me to want to risk the season like that.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

I edited my post: "Arsenal has so many other needs, that this year it's likely possible to buy only one defender. So you hope they can stay fit by playing less, and then it looks like they have overcome their injury-proneness and you can get better fee for them."

Do you understand that currently you could maybe get 40 million pounds for them, while they with their level are worth like 80 million pounds at least when fit, as an example? Do you understand how much this affects the other business?

Do you also understand that no top manager wants to have a huge overhaul to the squad, which will already happen by letting go of Hale Enders and other players who are not the required level. The time for Zinchenko and Tomiyasu to go can't be this year, it's the next summer or later when it's possible.

You’re still stuck in a paradox where you’re simultaneously assuming they will stay fit and won’t stay fit- you want to have your cake and eat it too but I’m not gonna start an argument with you about it today 🙏

As for the 8 defenders, yes that would be ideal as I’ve said. But if you’re benchmarking our squad against City - what I’m saying is that there are other areas where we are way more behind them, esp in terms of strength in depth and they need addressing more.

Also one of their 8 is a 19 yr old academy graduate. We have one of those - maybe Walters can step up next year? If not we should definitely sell/loan him at least.

Edit: also I’m not saying we sell tomi and Zinny and don’t buy anyone fs. I mean if we buy someone because we don’t think they will stay fit, then we should sell at least one of them…

drippin

You’re still stuck in a paradox where you’re simultaneously assuming they will stay fit and won’t stay fit- you want to have your cake and eat it too but I’m not gonna start an argument with you about it today 🙏
I'm not, I said you can expect them to be one player. What are you on about?

I expect them to stay fit for 50% of possible minutes, which they have been able to thus far.

This would mean, with the addition of for example Diomande, that Arsenal has 7 defenders for 4 positions. It's not hard to understand.
As for the 8 defenders, yes that would be ideal as I’ve said. But if you’re benchmarking our squad against City - what I’m saying is that there are other areas where we are way more behind them, esp in terms of strength in depth and they need addressing more.

Also one of their 8 is a 19 yr old academy graduate. We have one of those - maybe Walters can step up next year? If not we should definitely sell/loan him at least.
Walters seems like not renewing, which I think is the reason he hasn't played, like Cozier-Duberry.

Yes, City has 7 proven defenders, plus one emergency backup. Arsenal would also have 7 defenders with Diomande and counting Zinny & Tomi as one player, so they can hopefully stay fit when playing less.

Even 8 defenders is not bloated, especially as Diomande will need to adjust to the team and league for a year.

Arsenal will buy at least an attacker, a midfielder, a defender and a GK imo. Like they should. It would be quite similar to last summer, with Havertz, Rice, Timber and Raya. A good amount of quality additions.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

I expect them to stay fit for 50% of possible minutes, which they have been able to thus far.

And you also expect that we will be able to sell them for any sort of meaningful fee if they are only fit for for 50% of the year on top of their already injury plagued seasons? How can you not see you are contradicting yourself 😭

I give up.

drippin

And you also expect that we will be able to sell them for any sort of meaningful fee if they are only fit for for 50% of the year on top of their already injury plagued seasons? How can you not see you are contradicting yourself 😭

I give up.
Because if they don't get injured next season, you can get good money for them, unlike after an injury-ridden season. Quite simple.

It is very valuable for Arsenal to have a more stable defence line-up, and not having to spend over double to replace these players, so Arsenal has less money to improve the other areas. And getting this good level backups is not so easy either.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Because if they don't get injured next season, you can get good money for them, unlike after an injury-ridden season. Quite simple.

Right. But if they get injured we won’t get jack **** after not one but 2 injury ridden seasons… also “quite simple”…

drippin

Right. But if they get injured we won’t get jack **** after not one but 2 injury ridden seasons… also “quite simple”…
Yes, but they are very valuable players like I have explained, and money is needed elsewhere.

So you hope they can stay fit, to up their value, rather than sell them for cheap already and use your money to replace them with players who have to adjust to the team and league.

You seem to think the same that money is needed elsewhere, so this argument seems very weird to me from you. It seems like you're acting stupid on purpose.

With the money you save with not having to upgrade them, you can in big part buy the 8th defender. So you upgrade them later, after the other parts of the squad are complete.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Top Bottom