• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 5,711
  • Views 293,643

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Sigh. Didn’t take you long this time.

Have a nice rest of the day 👋
And you use that as an excuse to stop the argument, or explain your weird arguing about this?

I just don't understand how this became such a long argument, when the matters are very simple. You are not stupid, and I didn't say so. How else should I try to make a point that you seem to on purpose try to make a long argument with me?

You didn't even explain why 8 defenders is "a bloated defence" in a title challenging team. Only made distracting arguments.

8 defenders isn't even nearly a bloated defence, when Timber is coming back from a long injury, Tomi & Zinny are expected one player, and the new defender needs to adjust.

It seems like people would want to sabotage/risk Arsenal's challenge on purpose.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

We definitely do not need any more defenders if we’re keeping the 7 we have. One could argue that we’d benefit from having someone more similar to Gabriel/Saliba (to whatever extent that is possible) to backup CB, but it’s a one out, one in situation.

And if we were to target someone like that, I’m completely onboard with @Rasmi (and others?) about that being a free transfer for Tosin Adarabioyo. Sell Zinny, Kiwior or Tomiyasu if so and bank the cash.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
We definitely do not need any more defenders if we’re keeping the 7 we have. One could argue that we’d benefit from having someone more similar to Gabriel/Saliba (to whatever extent that is possible) to backup CB, but it’s a one out, one in situation.

And if we were to target someone like that, I’m completely onboard with @Rasmi (and others?) about that being a free transfer for Tosin Adarabioyo. Sell Zinny, Kiwior or Tomiyasu if so and bank the cash.

Tommy is meant to be getting a new contract. Zinny is foundamental to us breaking down low blocks. And Kiwior has just shown to be on the same wavelength of the rest of the defence, in our best ever defensive performance. I don't see any being sold.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Where are we short compared to City and Liverpool for ex?

Defence - no; we have the the same or better defenders both in quality and depth
Midfield - 50/50 imo
Attack - resounding yes; we have no where near the quality of depth City and Liverpool do

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Tommy is meant to be getting a new contract. Zinny is foundamental to us breaking down low blocks. And Kiwior has just shown to be on the same wavelength of the rest of the defence, in our best ever defensive performance. I don't see any being sold.
And that’s completely fair. But then we should be happy with the ones we have. We have enough bodies to cover all positions

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Only defender I'd sign is Hato but probably ends up overkill unless we sell someone like Kiwi. I don't think we're at a stage yet to sell Zinny.

CannonBals

Only defender I'd sign is Hato but probably ends up overkill unless we sell someone like Kiwi. I don't think we're at a stage yet to sell Zinny.

We are, Zinny is a liability when we play top 8 teams. He gets targeted and the whole team suffers.
And even against bottom half teams we have shown we don't need him especially with White/Timber capable of inverting from right when required.

Can we sell him is a different question. This will be the last window when we can get a sizable amount for him. 1 yr later he will be 28/29, 1 yr left on deal and everyone will know we have no use of him. These are the kind of sales we generally dont time well.
If we can get good money we should also move on Jesus.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah I wouldn’t mind him, seems a great prospect. But as you say, it’s overkill unless we sell someone. And even then I’d prioritise midfield and attack when it comes to spending. Don’t want to put any net spend towards defense.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Disagree. Any window where we don't buy two cm's is sub par. Unless we keep Partey and extend Jorginho, but then it's a much more attacking player (Øde cover) than Luiz we need. I'd still prioritise getting two top class cm's.

Here's hoping Jorginho stays on for another year at least.

CannonBals

Disagree. Any window where we don't buy two cm's is sub par. Unless we keep Partey and extend Jorginho, but then it's a much more attacking player (Øde cover) than Luiz we need. I'd still prioritise getting two top class cm's.

We need 1 CM unless we sell both Jorginho/Partey.
We don't need AM unless we move atleast one of Viera/ESR.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

We need 1 CM unless we sell both Jorginho/Partey.
We don't need AM unless we move atleast one of Viera/ESR.
Yeah, that's what I said; we need 2 if don't keep both of Jorginho and Partey. If we keep them, we definitely need an 8 that's more similar to Ødegaard than to any of Rice, Jorginho and Partey in that they can dictate our attack and create chances. @db10_therza's shout for Barella is such a player. Paqueta is such a player. Douglas Luiz, not as much.

Your point about ESR/Vieira is a moot one. They need to go. If we don't sell anyone at all, we don't really need to buy anyone. Midfield is the area that's most important to upgrade and the area where quality drops the most if our key players Øde or Rice doesn't start. They are more important to the team than Saka (which is not saying he's not as good or better, mind). Ideally, we need one 8 that can deputise at 6 and one 8 that can take on the creative and playmaking responsibility.

Luiz or De Jong are imo the best options for 8/6 and Barella or Paqueta the best for 8/10.

Øde, Rice, Jorginho, Partey & Luiz for example becomes extremely reliant on Øde availability.

Øde, Rice, Jorginho, Partey & Barella/Paqueta is a much better balanced set of players.

Øde, Rice, Luiz/FDJ, Barella/Paqueta, Jorginho/Partey would be a perfectly balanced set up as well much higher quality than the previous two.

Buying Isak would allow us to make Jesus a (backup?) winger. He's the one out of our choices that can do a good job at RW.

Buying Williams (or Kudus who's been my choice for Saka backup for a long time), gives us another wide option and we'd play Havertz and Jesus as CF's for another year.

a CF AND a Winger are not needed unless we sell one of Trossard, Jesus, Martinelli, Saka, Havertz.

I'd look to sell Nelson, ESR, Vieira and Nketiah in all of the above scenarios.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I think we only sign 1 marquee CM and I’m hoping we keep Jorginho then sign an advanced no8 like Barella or Paqueta. Can do Jorgi x Rice or Rice x New 8.

The situation in attack is weird. Numbers wise we don’t ‘need’ a starter but at the same time we certainly do. We need to raise our profile there and the best position to do is CF. But then you have both Jesus and Havertz sitting on the bench? Jesus will have to accept being 3rd choice striker and 2nd choice right winger in this scenario.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Am I the only person that thinks signing a LB could add a lot also? Someone with a different profile to our invertors.

Would be amazing to have a pacey left back who overlaps. Theo Hernandez type player. Because at the moment we have a lot of ‘maybes’ in that position, players we are shoehorned there. Tomi is injury prone, Timber let’s see but isn’t meant to be an LB, Kiwior is a CB and not elite, and Zinny is just not good enough.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Lots of clearing out needed this summer to make space financially but also squad wise.

Firstly, players like Nketiah and Nelson can fetch a decent amount and can all be written off as profit.

Then you have Ramsdale, Lokonga, Partey, Tavares who have to go.

Then there’s the fringe players who I think aren’t good enough here. People like Zinchenko, Vieira etc. If you get a good bid for ESR we may part ways also.

There’s a good £100-130m sitting there. I’d be happy if we shift at least half of the names mentioned above.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, May 29

Bruno Guimaraes’ representatives have been told by Newcastle that he won’t be sold unless his release clause is triggered [TBR Football]

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs interested in Leeds’ 18 year old midfielder Archie Gray [Fabrizio Romano]

Kia Joorabchian has claimed striker Joshua Zirkzee is pushing towards a move to Arsenal [Corriere dello Sport]

Arsenal have moved on from midfielder Martin Zubimendi and are targeting other players in the position instead [HITC]

RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Šeško is the club’s number one target this summer [John Cross - The Mirror]

Any move for Bruno Guimaraes or Douglas Luiz depends on the departure of Thomas Partey [Sami Mokbel - The Mail]

Latest posts

Top Bottom