• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Sparta Prague | 02/11/05

Army of Me

Established Member
the atmosphere was good up until we scored, then after that it was fairly straight forward, sparta really didn't give us too much to shout about.

invisibleman18

Established Member
yeah it sounded decent on my stream too. still, always sounds good on TV to me, but the guys who are there always say its ****.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
The mirror says that the lack of atmosphere at highbury against Sparta Prague was so poor that they wonder if Arsenal fans even care about Europe.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... _page.html

It did sound dead, first half particularly.

But it's funny, the games I've been to this season, they all felt like a good atmosphere. The Thun one was quiet, at least until van Persie got sent off, thus raisng the ire of the crowd.

Ratinho

Established Member
No different to most of the English clubs games tbh. It's a strange one.

I still think when it's so easy, as it was regardless of the scoreline for a lot of the match, the fans just sit back and watch the game, which is dissapoinitng but it happens.

It's what happened at OT over a period of years. Got so used to winning, that it just became an expected, almost boring, inevitablility.

Wenger14

Established Member
3-0 really flattered us didn't it?, Although it's good to see results going for us rather than against us in Europe. If Wenger doesn't get a dominant CM, in Jan our chances of making the semis at the very most are **** all, unless we get VERY lucky in the draws. I really don't see Gilberto and Flamini do any good against the likes of Real (who we seem to have a chance of drawing), Milan or any other european giant.

Our European future lies in Wenger's hands, all looks bright now, but without adequate depth in CM, we will be found when a bigger team comes around.

Another day, and another team, we could easily have conceded a few goals, we don't seem to have the mentality to go defensive when we don't have the ball this is causing a lot of problems. It's defending as a team and not teh actual defence that is costing us. We need to show more caution and know when to switch from an attacking mentality to a defensive one. Hopefully this will be corrected by the time the knockout stages come to us.

yoinkster

i'm really confused, in the Thun game, the clocks weren't ticking down on the two scoreboards and everyone said there was a UEFA rule saying you couldn't have clocks counting down during the match, but last night the clocks were on ...
did anyone else notice that ?
did we just feck up or what ?

A

Anonymous

3-0 Didn't flatter us. If we took our simple chances, the game would have been dead at half time and we could have matched Barca's 5-0 scoreline.

The midfield is still weak, but at least goals are starting to come around.

Some better performances, but still a long way to go, before Arsenal can feel like a solid team again..

sabret00the

Established Member
Kha0z said:
3-0 Didn't flatter us. If we took our simple chances, the game would have been dead at half time and we could have matched Barca's 5-0 scoreline.

The midfield is still weak, but at least goals are starting to come around.

Some better performances, but still a long way to go, before Arsenal can feel like a solid team again..
yup that's it, when you check the performance of the team much of it was below par, but the goals are a nice distraction.

asajoseph

Established Member
I live about 100 metres from the stadium, and I have to say, it wasn't at all noticable that a game was on. The only thing I heard all night was the Champions League theme tune at half time...

ccc

asajoseph said:
I live about 100 metres from the stadium, and I have to say, it wasn't at all noticable that a game was on. The only thing I heard all night was the Champions League theme tune at half time...

it's nice, isn't it? I like this theme very much:p

MK5

hesham said:
This Idea going round that VanPersie is only good when he comes on as a sub is bollox... fact is he hasnt been at his best since the start of the season (when he got a few starts)..
since the CC game hes start to look like RvP of last year ESPESIALY today with all his twisting and turning DAM KID made me dizzy :D two great goals
He HAS to start the next two games at least there both easy if he can get a couple more goals in them i think he can establish himself as a 1st team player

Well, What would you say his 3 best moments in an Arsenal shirt are? I'll bet you any money you like at least 2 of them is when he's come on as a sub :lol:

Bare the League cup games most matches when he's played from the start he's been very quiet. It might be because he find it hard playing alongside Henry or that he gets to play further up the field when he comes on and we need to score, I don't know but it's a fact that when he scored the goal against Soton last season, when he scored the goals in the FA cup semi final and when he scored the 2 goals yesterday he came on as a sub.

ccc

MK5 said:
Bare the League cup games most matches when he's played from the start he's been very quiet. It might be because he find it hard playing alongside Henry or that he gets to play further up the field when he comes on and we need to score, I don't know but it's a fact that when he scored the goal against Soton last season, when he scored the goals in the FA cup semi final and when he scored the 2 goals yesterday he came on as a sub.

I don't think it's a fair comparison. robin got very few starts, and he did score the only goal in league against blackburn and the first goal against :?: (we won 2-0) as starter last season. how can you say he should always be a sub because he scored only when he came on as sub? if he didn't get start, how can he score as starter? you may argue that he played poorly as starter at the beginning of this season. the fact was, he wasn't in form at that time and he didn't play well either as sub during that period because of the summer saga. I do believe he is finding his form back and ready for a start now

jay-d

Established Member
This is a real non argument. RVP v Bergkamp. RVP has to win, Bergkamp, a great player he was, is in the final stages of decline, sure he still has the quality but only as a sub IMO. RVP needs an uninterupted run of games and I'm confident he will produce the goods.

burnsjed

Established Member
RVP needs to be given a chanve playing with henry, problem Wenger has is he wants to balance experience and youth, and Henry favours Bergie.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
sabret00the said:
seeing alot of praise come for the midfield, i thought it was destinctly average, reyes and pires saved gilberto and flamini's skin and i thought flamini should've come off at half time.

The midfield consists of at the very least 4 players, and not just gil and flamini. So Pires was simply doing his job.ddin't save anyone and so was Reyes when he got pushed to LM in second half.

sabret00the

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
sabret00the said:
seeing alot of praise come for the midfield, i thought it was destinctly average, reyes and pires saved gilberto and flamini's skin and i thought flamini should've come off at half time.

The midfield consists of at the very least 4 players, and not just gil and flamini. So Pires was simply doing his job.ddin't save anyone and so was Reyes when he got pushed to LM in second half.
i said midfield and then i excluded the wingers which meant i evidently meant the central midfielders, why are you pretending you're stupid? and as for reyes he floated ALOT but played LM.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
sabret00the said:

i said midfield and then i excluded the wingers which meant i evidently meant the central midfielders, why are you pretending you're stupid? and as for reyes he floated ALOT but played LM.

Not pretending to be stupid, but i could be. I just think when you judge the midfield performance..it should include the LM and RM because they are part and parcel of the midfield. Them tucking inside to support the CM is usually part of their JOB. I took your initial comments probably in the wrong way, cos i thought you were criticizing Gil/Flamini by pointing they were bailed out by the LM/RM. I believe the LM/RM are every bit part of the midfield, you can not exclude them as "wingers" cos they are NOT wingers especially with our style of football. If they do their job well they will protect the CM and if they don't then the two CM are very stretched and the middle is open.

Just my opinion.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom