• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Raya: King David

Saliba and Gabriel deserve more confident and better players behind them. Someone who can save their asses on the rare occasion when they mess up.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He s solid to be fair to him, better than Ramsdale overall...but he screams "not quite good enough for a title" as a starter.

Seaman and even Lehmann had an aura about them, Raya just looks like a random guy you know down the gym.

Malky

Established Member
He’s better than Ramsdale but still not convinced he’s “ the guy “ for a team that wants to win the league.
The sad thing is we can all wish list someone like Maignan in the summer, but Arteta won’t drop Raya unless the next keeper is elite with his feet and, sadly, I don’t think Maignan is for Arteta.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I can't say he was at fault for the goals, but on another day, he would have conceded 4 goals and he was nowhere near any of them

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Think the general consensus is correct. Better than Ramsdale but not quite a top keeper. I mean, we can win a league with him in goal. But we need our defence to be as consistent as it has been as Raya is unlikely to bail us out with too many wonder saves.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Going to add to the echo chamber in that he's definitely an improvement on Ramsdale, but he's not the Alisson level we are yearning for.

I don't even think he's better than Martinez overall.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Only time you can fully trust him, is if your defence stops the other team having any shots on target...not sure that's how a keeper should work 😅

Even his best moment this season the pens v Porto, his completely invalidated that by doing this v Bayern...

IN6HTUbZnged.gif

Tom Mix

He might still have his finest hour for us in a penalty shoot out. I wouldn't kill Gollum until we sort out Mount Doom.

It would make no sense to bench him now but I think it's one of the three areas where we can improve

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Only time you can fully trust him, is if your defence stops the other team having any shots on target...not sure that's how a keeper should work 😅

Even his best moment this season the pens v Porto, his completely invalidated that by doing this v Bayern...

IN6HTUbZnged.gif

Tbf to him, going early is probably the only way to stop a normal Kane penalty. Bayern clearly studied how he went early vs Porto.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
He’s added a lot of stability to our game at the back. Coming from his rough start, I don’t even bother with him on the ball anymore.

Is he perfect, no. Can we upgrade, yes. But he is the keeper that we can win titles with.

We need a solid backup option for when he isn’t available. I think we need to cash in on Ramsdale, while his stocks are still high.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
He’s added a lot of stability to our game at the back. Coming from his rough start, I don’t even bother with him on the ball anymore.

Is he perfect, no. Can we upgrade, yes. But he is the keeper that we can win titles with.

We need a solid backup option for when he isn’t available. I think we need to cash in on Ramsdale, while his stocks are still high.

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

Bloodbather

Established Member

With whom, though? There aren't a lot of great goalkeepers who are good at contributing to the build up. Alisson, Ederson, ter Stegen, Neuer come to mind, none of them are obtainable. There's Unai Simón and Diogo Costa, but they're about at the same level as Raya.

Maybe Maignan, but he's become a bit error prone lately. Doubt even he moves the needle enough to move on from Raya and spend big money on a GK again.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Raya is great with the ball at his feet but he is pretty average at goalkeeping. What is the primary role of a Goalkeeper?

greekgooner

Player:Martinelli
Raya is not good enough. At some stage the opponent will have chances even if you hav the better defence in the world. Look at the scorelines on all the CL final 8 matches. You cant keep a cleansheet the level is too high. You must have a keeper that can make the big save on a long shoot or on one on one and raya is not this goalkeeper.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Raya is great with the ball at his feet but he is pretty average at goalkeeping. What is the primary role of a Goalkeeper?
The problem is that there's only about 3-4 keepers that are great with the ball at their feet and also good to great at classic goalkeeper attributes. Alisson, ter Stegen, Neuer, and maybe Ederson and that's it. Maignan is very good at long passing but hasn't demonstrated anything special when it comes to short passing and ball control under pressure.

It's not exactly a common thing. It's usually one or the other. Great foot technique and average classic goalkeeping or vice versa.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom