• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Douglas Luiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I doubt that we'll pull this off in January, but this would actually be a massive statement signing. Not because Douglas Luiz is a world class player who would definitely start for us, but because of what this would mean to Villa.

Right now Villa are arguably playing their best ever football and people are acting like Emery is a better coach than Arteta. For us to take one of their best players, during their best season, and for him to prefer being a sub for Arsenal and Arteta than starting for Villa and Emery, it would really highlight the high level we are at as a club and team right now.

And on another level, it would show how attractive we have become for Brazilian players. We just signed Real Madrid's Latin America scout, so in the years to come we could become one of the top destinations for Brazil's top players.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I doubt that we'll pull this off in January, but this would actually be a massive statement signing. Not because Douglas Luiz is a world class player who would definitely start for us, but because of what this would mean to Villa.

Right now Villa are arguably playing their best ever football and people are acting like Emery is a better coach than Arteta. For us to take one of their best players, during their best season, and for him to prefer being a sub for Arsenal and Arteta than starting for Villa and Emery, it would really highlight the high level we are at as a club and team right now.

And on another level, it would show how attractive we have become for Brazilian players. We just signed Real Madrid's Latin America scout, so in the years to come we could become one of the top destinations for Brazil's top players.
Their best football ever in the PL era you mean because football existed before the PL

sdotzdot

Established Member
We were going to pay 70 million for Caicedo in January, and Douglas Luiz is a much better player, so it’s plausible.

However, would he make that much of a difference to close that gap and ensure we win the league? Not really.

Would be a great signing, but if you want to make a signing to boost our chances to win the league, it has to be a striker.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We were going to pay 70 million for Caicedo in January, and Douglas Luiz is a much better player, so it’s plausible.

However, would he make that much of a difference to close that gap and ensure we win the league? Not really.

Would be a great signing, but if you want to make a signing to boost our chances to win the league, it has to be a striker.

He is in better form. No way is he much better player than Caicedo. Luiz was not rated by Gerrard and was on the bench. Good form change perception of how good a player is. There are players better and cheaper than him in Europe you can get

DuBB

I actually disagree.

Unless you're talking Mbappe levels, there isn't actually an available player who we can buy who slots right into the 1st team and makes us better. This January at least.

But there are more than a few players (like Douglas Luiz) who we can bring in who ensures that if a major injury happens in a specific department (midfield in his case), we don't drop from our current level

We don't need to close a gap - we are already one of the 2 best teams in the league, and based on form and on the numbers, right now, we are the best team.

Our reinforcement and rotation group is what needs improving, not our Starting 11. It is the case for this season, and the next few seasons to come.

At least this January.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

He would cost £60M, which I think we can afford but only on one player in Jan.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He would cost £60M, which I think we can afford but only on one player in Jan.
Lool Villa ain’t selling for 60 million. Try 100 million atleast. People haven’t learned from caicedo clubs pl clubs ain’t just gonna sell you their best player in January and end their season. Villa has a chance to get CL football

sdotzdot

Established Member
I actually disagree.

Unless you're talking Mbappe levels, there isn't actually an available player who we can buy who slots right into the 1st team and makes us better. This January at least.

But there are more than a few players (like Douglas Luiz) who we can bring in who ensures that if a major injury happens in a specific department (midfield in his case), we don't drop from our current level

We don't need to close a gap - we are already one of the 2 best teams in the league, and based on form and on the numbers, right now, we are the best team.

Our reinforcement and rotation group is what needs improving, not our Starting 11. It is the case for this season, and the next few seasons to come.

At least this January.
Idk man, we’re struggling with taking our chances and don’t have anyone who is clinical enough. Adding another goal scorer will help undoubtedly Ie. Toney. May not be elite but will definitely add more to our attack which is to me the key issue right now.

Ask me nearer to the start of the season, and I would’ve said LCM is the biggest issue. It’s still an issue, but Havertz is growing in the role and Rice and Ødegaard and two of the best midfielders in the world in their respective positions. Luiz would be great but I think someone like Toney would be the difference between those few points that will separate 2nd from 1st.

Edit: completely agree with you though that there is a massive drop off for a few players should they get injured. Mainly Rice. So in that sense I do get bringing in another quality midfielder to ensure we don’t capitulate like last season with the Saliba injury.

DuBB

Idk man, we’re struggling with taking our chances and don’t have anyone who is clinical enough. Adding another goal scorer will help undoubtedly Ie. Toney. May not be elite but will definitely add more to our attack which is to me the key issue right now.

Ask me nearer to the start of the season, and I would’ve said LCM is the biggest issue. It’s still an issue, but Havertz is growing in the role and Rice and Ødegaard and two of the best midfielders in the world in their respective positions. Luiz would be great but I think someone like Toney would be the difference between those few points that will separate 2nd from 1st.

Edit: completely agree with you though that there is a massive drop off for a few players should they get injured. Mainly Rice. So in that sense I do get bringing in another quality midfielder to ensure we don’t capitulate like last season with the Saliba injury.

I've said it in other threads, but I'll say it here - by the end of Summer 24 we will have addressed both things (CF and Midfield), I'm not worried about that at all.

But if you ask me what may stop us winning the title this year, between not taking chances, and a thin midfield - it's the thin midfield (and defence to a lesser extent).

Even if we bought Toney, but one of Ode, Rice or Havertz got injured (touch wood) how much would Toney matter?

Our ability to control matches due to our base of the CBs and the Midfield help to alleviate the lack of clinical finishing. In fact it allows us to have all those chances we squander. I think people are taking that part for granted. We absolutely boss the vast majority of games, even against teams who try to play football.

That control is priceless. We can't afford to suffer in that respect.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Bro why bother? They’re going to want crazy money considering where they are in the table.

King87

Kai's having the time of my life

Why will Villa sell a player to a fellow title challenger in the middle of a title race? Shockingly dumb rumour this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom