• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Douglas Luiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I've said it in other threads, but I'll say it here - by the end of Summer 24 we will have addressed both things (CF and Midfield), I'm not worried about that at all.

But if you ask me what may stop us winning the title this year, between not taking chances, and a thin midfield - it's the thin midfield (and defence to a lesser extent).

Even if we bought Toney, but one of Ode, Rice or Havertz got injured (touch wood) how much would Toney matter?

Our ability to control matches due to our base of the CBs and the Midfield help to alleviate the lack of clinical finishing. In fact it allows us to have all those chances we squander. I think people are taking that part for granted. We absolutely boss the vast majority of games, even against teams who try to play football.

That control is priceless. We can't afford to suffer in that respect.
Of course midfielder is more important than a striker, especially as Rice can cover CB. But the striker rumours have been strong, especially Toney.

So it looks like it's possible to do both, especially if you sell own youth Nketiah or are able to loan Toney with an obligation. And Arsenal has guaranteed UCL money.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I mean it seems Toney favors Arsenal and we don’t really have a clinical target man and if Toney is similar in form to player he was the deal makes sense if terms are reasonable

CannonBals

Why will Villa sell a player to a fellow title challenger in the middle of a title race? Shockingly dumb rumour this

I have a feeling he will act as if he wants the move but would eventually end up signing a new improves contract in Feb/March.
And if his form keeps up he will then go for 100m on the summer most likely to Liverpool/City.
(Caicedo 2.0)

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Would be typical Arsenal to waste first 3 weeks of the window trying to get players they can’t get only to end with a Jorginho type of signing end of the window

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

He is in better form. No way is he much better player than Caicedo. Luiz was not rated by Gerrard and was on the bench. Good form change perception of how good a player is. There are players better and cheaper than him in Europe you can get

Which is no poor reflection on Luiz & simply reinforces the view that Gerrard is a terrible manager.

Malky

Established Member
Villa seen what we paid for Rice and will demand similar. Never mind that they’re in a title race/top4 contention and won’t sell their top player mid-season.
Not a chance this happens!

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Which is no poor reflection on Luiz & simply reinforces the view that Gerrard is a terrible manager.
True. But Luiz is not suddenly this world class player. He is a solid PL player in great form playing for a team in great form. People are too obsessed in current performance without taking the full picture in. There are plenty players on his level out there

Gn1212

This is a dead move unless:
A) There's a clause somewhere that allows us to get him for relatively cheap
B) He is willing to push for the move

We still haven't heard anything about A and we know for a fact he won't do B because last time we wanted him and Villa were in a relegation battle and not using him regularly he didn't want to force a move.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Villa seen what we paid for Rice and will demand similar. Never mind that they’re in a title race/top4 contention and won’t sell their top player mid-season.
Not a chance this happens!

Rice is world class in my opinion and worth every penny we paid for him. Luiz is far from the level Rice is tbf. Ridiculous amount of money Villa wants for him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
True. But Luiz is not suddenly this world class player. He is a solid PL player in great form playing for a team in great form. People are too obsessed in current performance without taking the full picture in. There are plenty players on his level out there
Great post this, and why I'm not super fussed about Luiz. Think he's a good player but I don't really see a "level raiser" here, think he'll just be another body unless we're looking at him to be Rice's foil/alternative - which I think is the aim here as the [redacted] seemingly can't stay fit and we need someone other than Jorginho to man the fort if the worst case scenario happens. Luiz has been in good form since Emery took over but I think we could find a more impactful player.

I actually think of the CMs we've been linked with this week, I'd prefer Amadou Onana if we're gonna go for another PL midfielder in that 6/8 mould. He'll be similarly expensive and slightly less polished but IMO there's a higher ceiling. He's big, mobile, wins duels and isn't the brute in possession he's likely to be stereotyped as being. I think there will be better fits but if I had to choose between the two, I pick Onana.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Great post this, and why I'm not super fussed about Luiz. Think he's a good player but I don't really see a "level raiser" here, think he'll just be another body unless we're looking at him to be Rice's foil/alternative - which I think is the aim here as the [redacted] seemingly can't stay fit and we need someone other than Jorginho to man the fort if the worst case scenario happens. Luiz has been in good form since Emery took over but I think we could find a more impactful player.

I actually think of the CMs we've been linked with this week, I'd prefer Amadou Onana if we're gonna go for another PL midfielder in that 6/8 mould. He'll be similarly expensive and slightly less polished but IMO there's a higher ceiling. He's big, mobile, wins duels and isn't the brute in possession he's likely to be stereotyped as being. I think there will be better fits but if I had to choose between the two, I pick Onana.
I would go for PSVs Joey Veerman. Very solid central midfielder with great passing. I know we beat them 4-0. But PSV has some really good players

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Visited Birmingham once. It reminded me of the Cormac McCarthy post apocalypse book and film The Road. Everything dark, dingey and depressing except even worse as everyone had even less teeth and had brummy accents.

By far the worst place I've visited in the UK and I say that as someone who's been to Sunderland.
:lol:
Have you ever been to Swindon ?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I’m not sure about spending so much money on someone who’d essentially be a squad player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom