• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Porto vs Arsenal | 31/07/05

mood

Now that 2nd half performance is what we needed.

Everyone upped their game and Ljungberg/Bergkamp changed the game.

Been very impressed with Ljungberg. Hopefully he can carry this to the whole of next season and continue scoring those crucial goals *when we need em most.

Hleb's starting to fit in very quickly.. good sign.

adrianz

asajoseph said:
Another thing I really like about Hleb is that he's actually a lot stronger than he looks - he doesn't get shoved off the ball easily, and can shield it well

Agree, too bad the same cannot be said about Reyes. He's the one that make the difference in the 1st half. With him off, the game is more fluent and Cole run up more.

asajoseph

Established Member
sabret00the, you've got this totally wrong - if Senderos had been marking his man properly, he'd have cut the pass out before it got to him, or somehow prevented him from getting to the ball - that's what marking is. The fact that Senderos' man got a foot to the ball and scored is no more Cygan's fault than Henry's. If Senderos had done a better job marking his man, or Cole had done a better job blocking the cross, it wouldn't have been a goal. Cygan was marking his man, as the Porto player dribbled up the line, and that's where he should have been. There was no way he could have got accross in time to cut out the ball into the box, and it was the fact that Senderos wasn't marking his man properly that lead to the goal.

James

Established Member
Cole was at fault for their goal. He let the cross come in far too easily, and it wasn't the only time in the game either, there was alot of crosses coming in from the right which were unchallenged.

patrick42uk

Established Member
sometimes i scratch my head as to why people question wenger's preference for ljungberg. hleb and ljungberg will be first choice IMO

cygan had a good game too i felt and pires improved in the second half. impressed by hleb's upper body strength and his touch.

Gooner_Girl

Doesn't matter cause we won now. Plus it ain't our strongest squad so not much to worry about. Yeah game changed completly when freddie and dennis came on. Felt thierry wasn't at his best. Hleb's good but i feel he likes keeping the ball too much a bit like the commentator said for our players in midfield. We need to mix it up so there's more passes but he's good anyways. Hopefully a 0-0 draw for ajax and boca juniors so we'll win. :)

AxlGunners

does anyone have a link for the great henry goal he scored against one of the austrian teams?

Bergkamp and Ljungberg turned it round for us and i was very impressed with Hleb and he seemed to defend well. I hope we stop playing Pires in the centre soon.

A.Hussain

oh and just for the record hleb number is 13. at least that is what he was wearing today. checked it on gettyimages.

Spike

Established Member
Stand up, for the Amsterdam Champions!

Good match today. In the first half, we just didn't want to play, but that was a different story in the second half. The arrival of Bergkamp and Ljungberg offered us more experience, and Ljungberg's two goals showed everyone what an important asset he is.
Overall, we played better than we did against Ajax. We played with some fluidity, more confidence and this win set's us up nicely for the Charity Shield.

Now, I don't see Ajax or Boca winning by 6 goals, so I think it's almost certain that we're the new Amsterdam Tournament Champions for the first time I believe. Great way to begin the season this is. :)

burnsjed

Established Member
sabret00the said:
burnsjed said:
that's down to the first defender

Who was Cole for crying out loud!
Jeez how bloody blinkred are you?
go read my post again, i added a little more because i knew someone was gonna try and talk s**t just like you just did ;) :p

Now I should let this go but christ man have you been drinking something?
Senderos was a couple of steps from his man, hardly marking him!
Cygan was with his man the whole time, if he could have cut it out he would have, but his first job is to make sure the guy he is marking can not get the ball, he achieved this.

Double_H

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
sometimes i scratch my head as to why people question wenger's preference for ljungberg. hleb and ljungberg will be first choice IMO

cygan had a good game too i felt and pires improved in the second half. impressed by hleb's upper body strength and his touch.

thats right pires improved in the second half ...but he missed an easy goal
just like he did in the pre season in Austria :roll:

hope he doesnt do that when it matters

asajoseph

Established Member
What gives you that idea Patrick?

If you're right, I'd be even more sickened by the fact that Cole got that new deal. I still haven't forgotten about all that ****, and think he should have been sent on the next train to Siberia before being allowed to play in an Arsenal shirt again.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
blr_boy said:
how much minutes played Hleb again Porto?
For anyone who once doubted Hlebs' quality just because never heard of him, Hleb's performamce in this match and the last one against AJAX had prove the Belarussian's ability.

See how Hleb pretended he lost control of the ball and tricked the defender to stick his leg out? That's what's called 'game intelligence' or 'quick thinking in 1-to-1 situation'.

Not many players in Europe can do that, let along English players.

gstew

asajoseph said:
sabret00the, you've got this totally wrong - if Senderos had been marking his man properly, he'd have cut the pass out before it got to him, or somehow prevented him from getting to the ball - that's what marking is. The fact that Senderos' man got a foot to the ball and scored is no more Cygan's fault than Henry's. If Senderos had done a better job marking his man, or Cole had done a better job blocking the cross, it wouldn't have been a goal. Cygan was marking his man, as the Porto player dribbled up the line, and that's where he should have been. There was no way he could have got accross in time to cut out the ball into the box, and it was the fact that Senderos wasn't marking his man properly that lead to the goal.

Asa

I know that you are a Cygan-hater like most of the people on this board. So I appreciate you setting the record straight when people ignore the game and just decide to bash Cygan for no reason. I thought he was our best defender today by far. And I am happy to have someone of his quality as our fourth choice CB. Only Huth even comes close in the EPL at that position.

I wish the Cygan-hating wasn't so ingrained. Then he would be applauded when he plays well and not given the paludit "well at least he didn't screw up this time". He is a good player who had an extremely successful career before joining Arsenal and has played dramatically better for us than the "fans" give him credit for. He is a step slow to be a top class defender in the EPL. That will never change. When does his pennance end?

Phil has had back-to-back bad games and that worries me. If Cygan has to play quite a few games this season, I don't want to have to defend him constantly for unjustified criticism. He should only be criticized when he screws up and even then, just by being held to the same standard as other Gunners.

patrick42uk

Established Member
asajoseph said:
What gives you that idea Patrick?

If you're right, I'd be even more sickened by the fact that Cole got that new deal. I still haven't forgotten about all that s**t, and think he should have been sent on the next train to Siberia before being allowed to play in an Arsenal shirt again.

maybe its nothing. in te first game, when each player was subbed, wenger was there to say a few words like 'well done' or whatever to the out going player. with cole, and i looked specifically for this, nothing was said. today, when cole came off, wenger satyed in his seat, a amrked contrast from the other subs. maybe its nothing, i'll watch the match a gain to verify. but i have a hunch they are not speaking. i dont think wenger issued any statement when cole signed his contract. again, i'm not 100% sure with that.

anyway, i feel our squad is stronger than it looks. i'm glad hleb is here because it means reyes can be relegated to the bench. i hope his role this season is that of an impact sub. he has the talent, but his overall game has to improve especially his possesional skills. hopefully watching from the sides will be motivation to do that. rvp and bergkamp will battle it out to partner henry, so theres healthy competition there too.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom