• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gareth Southgate's England

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I suppose there's no reason to change but you do get the feeling he holds England back slightly given the talent available. In tournament football the only real big victory was over Germany and it had long gotten stale for them under Low. Every other match they won was games you'd expect them to win convincingly and any challenging side they faced was a defeat, Belgium, Croatia and Italy.

But if there's no real plan in place for a clearly superior manager to come in then it makes sense to stick with Southgate.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Terrible comparison. Low won some titles as a club manager (a league title and a supercup in Austria, a DFB cup in Germany) while Southgate was utter **** at club level. Low also want his teams to play actual football unlike Southgate. Chiellini was allowed to play as a central midfielder in the Euro final ffs.

It's not an outrageous comparison.

Low had got as many teams relegated as titles and the Austrian League and DFB Cup aren't exactly major honours.

He barely spent more than a season at any club he's managed, generally getting sacked😁

He was very much a journeyman manager. He had no business being appointed Germany manager based on his club record.

He was an Assistant Manager that got promoted to the main job because he was already part of the system. There are parallels with Southgate getting promoted from under 21 manager to the main job.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

These are the teams that Southgate's England has defeated in normal time in major tournaments:

Tunisia
Panama
Germany
Ukraine
Sweden
Czech Republic
Croatia

Its not impressive at all tbh.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

It's not an outrageous comparison.

Low had got as many teams relegated as titles and the Austrian League and DFB Cup aren't exactly major honours.

He barely spent more than a season at any club he's managed, generally getting sacked😁

He was very much a journeyman manager. He had no business being appointed Germany manager based on his club record.

He was an Assistant Manager that got promoted to the main job because he was already part of the system. There are parallels with Southgate getting promoted from under 21 manager to the main job.

I could have mentioned that Low reached a european cup final at club level aswell. My point remains: Southgate isnt half the manager Low is. Dont compare them. Southgate was terrible with the U21 team btw.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
i never really got the Sacho treatment last summer but looks to have been bang on there

getting a much better tune out of Slabhead & a few goals out of Kane as well when dire for club teams

... not a huge managerial talent but a no brainer for all sides to continue through 2024
Southgate got England to a semi final and then a final of a major tournament, better than any of the previous 17 England managers.

He may be cautious but you can't argue with that stat. Unless of course you're saying this team was good enough to win. But that sort of stuff is a bit subjective.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It’s a very safe contract renewal that could result in this golden generation not winning anything.

He is better than I thought though, seems to have improved recently.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

The thing is with Southgate we're always going to be a reactive team rather than a proactive.

His in game management is poor at best, he lets games drift way too much. It's fine against qualifying teams but good teams with good coaches will and have exploited that.

It's not outrageous to say this may turn out to be England's greatest generation of talent ever, when you look at the quality and the depth. We've got to capitalise on that by winning a major tournament.

His record as England manager is pretty good as you'd expect that with the quality of players we have, but we should have a better manager.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Southgate got England to a semi final and then a final of a major tournament, better than any of the previous 17 England managers.

He may be cautious but you can't argue with that stat. Unless of course you're saying this team was good enough to win. But that sort of stuff is a bit subjective.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The thing is with Southgate we're always going to be a reactive team rather than a proactive.

His in game management is poor at best, he lets games drift way too much. It's fine against qualifying teams but good teams with good coaches will and have exploited that.

It's not outrageous to say this may turn out to be England's greatest generation of talent ever, when you look at the quality and the depth. We've got to capitalise on that by winning a major tournament.

His record as England manager is pretty good as you'd expect that with the quality of players we have, but we should have a better manager.
How many times has that been said? Becks, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Scholes, Ferdinand etc etc or Beardsley, Linekar, Waddle, Hoddle, Gaza, Pierce.

All subjective stuff. The only thing we know for sure is that Southgate has done better than previous managers as far back as 1966.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

These are the teams that Southgate's England has defeated in normal time in major tournaments:

Tunisia
Panama
Germany
Ukraine
Sweden
Czech Republic
Croatia

Its not impressive at all tbh.
True, but you can only beat what’s in front of you at tournaments.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

How many times has that been said? Becks, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Scholes, Ferdinand etc etc or Beardsley, Linekar, Waddle, Hoddle, Gaza, Pierce.

All subjective stuff. The only thing we know for sure is that Southgate has done better than previous managers as far back as 1966.

It's subjective but the depth of quality we have currently is pretty outrageous.

I don't remember a time when the squad was so loaded.

In my opinion English football is producing more high quality talent than at any point in the past few decades, at least.

A number of players who are being left out of the squad would probably have regularly started for England in some previous eras.

Anyway, seems to me like you're arguing against your own position. Southgate is the most successful manager since 66 as you say. Means the squad has outperformed any other since then too.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

It's subjective but the depth of quality we have currently is pretty outrageous.

I don't remember a time when the squad was so loaded.

In my opinion English football is producing more high quality talent than at any point in the past few decades, at least.

A number of players who are being left out of the squad would probably have regularly started for England in some previous eras.

Anyway, seems to me like you're arguing against your own position. Southgate is the most successful manager since 66 as you say. Means the squad has outperformed any other since then too.
OK. There’s some aspects to football that isn’t provable and just comes down to opinion I guess, particularly with cup or tournament football. Only league football can show consistency and manager prowess properly.

The other day I was watching West Ham Liverpool and at half time, Carragher said, ‘Liverpool have got too much to worry about West Ham in the league, but in a one off game between them anything can happen’. He maybe a knob but he really understands football.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

OK. There’s some aspects to football that isn’t provable and just comes down to opinion I guess, particularly with cup or tournament football. Only league football can show consistency and manager prowess properly.

The other day I was watching West Ham Liverpool and at half time, Carragher said, ‘Liverpool have got too much to worry about West Ham in the league, but in a one off game between them anything can happen’. He maybe a knob but he really understands football.

Fair point mate. A lot of it is subjective.

It's just quite nice to be able to dream about England winning a major tournament and it be semi believable 😁

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

If Allardyce didn’t get ran out of town reckon England wins a major tournament.

He would've at least reacted to Italy's tactical tweak in the Euro final. Southgate did absolutely nothing, he let that game slip away from England because all he had was plan A. Big Sam definitely would've done something to at least try and swing the pendulum back in England's favour.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Rory absolutely fuming about this...

..anymore nonsense like this from Maguire for his country and Rory will be picking England as one of his side's to get relegated from the Prem this season, I reckon.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Latest posts

Top Bottom