• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Granit Xhaka (Out)

Will Manberg/Bergman complete the five stages of grief before the window opens?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
If you are going to give a 30+ year old a medium-long term contract, it is Granit Xhaka. He adds qualities to the squad off the pitch and is a good figurehead to have in the dressing room.

Also, he has essentially had 0 pace or legs his whole time here so its not like he's gonna regress much over the next few years. Fitness issues / injuries shouldnt be a concern either as hes just one of those players who are always fit. He can end up being our Milner or Henderson with age essentially.

I'm warming to getting him to stay, offer him a 3 year deal or something like this.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

If you are going to give a 30+ year old a medium-long term contract, it is Granit Xhaka. He adds qualities to the squad off the pitch and is a good figurehead to have in the dressing room.

Also, he has essentially had 0 pace or legs his whole time here so its not like he's gonna regress much over the next few years. Fitness issues / injuries shouldnt be a concern either as hes just one of those players who are always fit. He can end up being our Milner or Henderson with age essentially.

I'm warming to getting him to stay, offer him a 3 year deal or something like this.
But Jorginho is a better DMF, and brings similar leadership qualities. He also has been very durable in his career.

Jorginho seems happy to stay at Arsenal, while Xhaka seems like wanting to play more, so wouldn't be as good squad player. And you can get an okay fee for Xhaka also.

Xhaka was not the optimal player for the LCM role, although played it very well. So it's better to upgrade there and keep Jorginho.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
But Jorginho is a better DMF, and brings similar leadership qualities. He also has been very durable in his career.

Jorginho seems happy to stay at Arsenal, while Xhaka seems like wanting to play more, so wouldn't be as good squad player. And you can get an okay fee for Xhaka also.

Xhaka was not the optimal player for the LCM role, although played it very well. So it's better to upgrade there and keep Jorginho.
Unless we are open to playing Rice both as no.6 and no.8, we wont have any backup for Havertz (who needs time as it is in this role).

drippin

Unless we are open to playing Rice both as no.6 and no.8, we wont have any backup for Havertz (who needs time as it is in this role).
It looks like Arsenal tries to buy Lavia, who is still defensively a bit suspect, as in aerials and tackle success rate especially. But I can see him playing the LCM role.

Then there is Zinchenko (if Arsenal replaces Tierney with quality) who can play LCM well. Then there is ESR, Trossard and Vieira.

So yes, many players already who can play LCM. Rice too if Jorginho plays DMF.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
If Xhaka shows up for pre-season I'd start to believe he's staying. I don't think he will though. He'll be gone once Rice is confirmed.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I'd be happy if he stays, as it gives him a chance to possibly win a big trophy with us. I dont see shifting TP5 either.

So as long as we get in Lavia after Timber, Im good to go for the next season. TP5, Xhaka and Jorginho would free up Mbappe's wages next year. ;)

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It looks like Arsenal tries to buy Lavia, who is still defensively a bit suspect, as in aerials and tackle success rate especially. But I can see him playing the LCM role.

Then there is Zinchenko (if Arsenal replaces Tierney with quality) who can play LCM well. Then there is ESR, Trossard and Vieira.

So yes, many players already who can play LCM.
I like Lavia but I have gone cold towards letting 2 senior players who were key to our success last season go, and replacing them with 3. Its too much change for the midfield.

I personally want to keep 1 of Xhaka or Partey for more stability in our squad.

Also signing Lavia I feel blocks us from any more big transfers this window, I would prefer to save the money and go big if an opportunity arises later in the window.

drippin

I like Lavia but I have gone cold towards letting 2 senior players who were key to our success last season go, and replacing them with 3. Its too much change for the midfield.

Also signing Lavia I feel blocks us from any more big transfers this window, I would prefer to save the money and go big if an opportunity arises later in the window.
Lavia is THE opportunity from a relegated team. He is the next Caicedo in my opinion.

When you have Rice, Jorginho and Lavia as DMF's, it's a very good balance of age and skill. Then you have Timber as cover also, maybe Elneny, maybe not.

Not many better players want to join on the bench, Lavia is great one to give minutes while Jorginho still plays a lot of minutes. Depending on how well Lavia plays.

I assume you think something like Tchouameni as an opportunity? I can't see Real selling him, especially for cheap, meaning he would cost at least double more than Lavia. I also can't see him joining Arsenal's rotation when he can just stay and rotate at Real.

Arsenal having 100 million for another DMF this window is not realistic for me, so no need to wait for pipedreams. Most top EPL teams seem to be rumoured with Lavia, and it is no surprise. So you show your intent straight away to convince him.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
We won’t get a better fee for either next year, this is the last chance.

Why not let Rice and potentially Lavia develop chemistry with their new teammates now as opposed to having to integrate the latter next year?

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We won’t get a better fee for either next year, this is the last chance.

Why not let Rice and potentially Lavia develop chemistry with their new teammates now as opposed to having to integrate the latter next year?
Because stability is just as important as gelling players early. Also Lavia is not the finished product yet especially for CL level, will take a few years. Next year there may be a different top player who moves the needle being available.

I see the points on both sides though. I just see there being issues arise changing 2 players from our successful midfield last season, would be nice to have 1 of them around.

Reactions: A_G

drippin

Because stability is just as important as gelling players early. Also Lavia is not the finished product yet especially for CL level, will take a few years. Next year there may be a different top player who moves the needle being available.

I see the points on both sides though. I just see there being issues arise changing 2 players from our successful midfield last season, would be nice to have 1 of them around.
The thing is, that Lavia performed very well as a DMF at 18-19 years old in his first season in EPL.

It's almost similar levels for a midfielder as Bellingham and Caicedo. Who else does it at this age in midfield, especially defensive one? Rice did it and cost 105 million with 2 years left, and would have cost quite similar crazy money in earlier years too. Bellingham too. Caicedo also very expensive. Barcelona has a couple young great midfielders.

But it's very rare, it's a difficult position. You don't give this kind of talent to rivals just because you want to keep Xhaka or Partey, or want to wait if some much more expensive pipedream appears later in the window, who might not even want to join the rotation role after Rice.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
You don't give this kind of talent to rivals just because you want to keep Xhaka or Partey
Which rivals though? City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool (2) all in the market for midfielders and didnt sign him.

Not saying Lavia is not good, I really like him. Its just that we would be losing 2 seasoned veterans and replacing with a 19 year old with only 1 season of PL football under his belt.... no matter how talented he is.

I am thinking for our CL campaign next season and also the season after.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

Rice and Havertz are replacing Partey and Xhaka, big Rom would be depth for now.

drippin

Which rivals though? City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool (2) all in the market for midfielders and didnt sign him.

Not saying Lavia is not good, I really like him. Its just that we would be losing 2 seasoned veterans and replacing with a 19 year old with only 1 season of PL football under his belt.

I am thinking for our CL campaign next season.
You're not counting Jorginho? He joined in January as a bonus basically, after Elneny got injured. So he is a new very experienced leader addition, and looks like Arteta wants to keep him over Xhaka and Partey from the older players. And I'm fine with it considering everything.

Lavia not moving yet does not tell anything about who wants him. My opinion is that Lavia is waiting for Arsenal, rather than joining those clubs instantly. He has no hurry so can wait for his favourite option first.

If Arsenal has Rice & Jorginho as the only real DMF's (maybe Elneny but that doesn't matter), Arsenal will be a very enticing option for Lavia from the top clubs. Chelsea is not even in Europe and Liverpool is in UEL.

Jorginho is 32 years old in December, so will be a great player to be an understudy for & learn from, while sharing the minutes.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Rice and Havertz are replacing Partey and Xhaka, big Rom would be depth for now.
I think its too much change personally. We want to propel ourselves forward, that would be a step slightly forward but also sideways in the *short* term.

Rice would still need to gel into the team and doesnt have CL experience, Havertz is going to be returning to a role he hasnt played in like 4 years and not in the Bumdesliga. There is a process needed for these 2 to be playing to their best and improving on Xhaka and Partey- I doubt it happens instantly.

Would be nice to have a Xhaka in the squad, for the next few years. Jorginho will be gone soon, Partey potentially sold. There is defo space for him if we are fighting on all fronts.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I think its too much change personally. We want to propel ourselves forward, that would be a step slightly forward but also sideways in the *short* term.

Rice would still need to gel into the team and doesnt have CL experience, Havertz is going to be returning to a role he hasnt played in like 4 years and not in the Bumdesliga. There is a process needed for these 2 to be playing to their best and improving on Xhaka and Partey- I doubt it happens instantly.

Would be nice to have a Xhaka in the squad, for the next few years. Jorginho will be gone soon, Partey potentially sold. There is defo space for him if we are fighting on all fronts.
I’d argue that adding Zinny for KT and Jesus for Laca were bigger changes, yet they were able to hit the ground running.

Mikel is clearly changing the system and he feels Partey/Xhaka are expendable now, I’d be inclined to trust his judgement here.

drippin

I have almost zero doubts that Rice will hit the ground running. Guy has 5,5 full seasons of EPL experience and is a great player already. He is very solid.

I have for a long time said that I want Xhaka to stay as a rotational option, but it looks like he doesn't want to. Those Leverkusen rumours have been very strong.

Why worry about a thing like this, when the player wants to go and play more? Arteta doesn't want unhappy players, and he shouldn't, and he should also respect the wishes of Xhaka who has given so much for Arsenal.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
This will be BergMan if he loses Xhaka this summer, and his job in real life is an air traffic controller...

MV5BZjg2YmRhMzctMWQ2Ni00NGY5LTg0MzEtZTI5MDU1OGI0ODhiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg0Nzk2Nzc@._V1_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten

Latest posts

Top Bottom