• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nikola Žigić

Status
Not open for further replies.

longrufus

Established Member
Yea, he's great in the air.

I cant believe some peope still think we want Zigic, we signed Ade, and have Bendtner (who i think has the best chance of making it from the acadamy).
Sorry Saville but your wrong. Wenger tried to bring Ade in suring the summer but failed, then made another move in january. Nothing to do with RvP, he was simply adding strengthening the squad

patrick42uk

Established Member
we bought both reyes in january and rvp in the summer, both with the intention of fighting for the same position. it isnt impossible that we want zigic. anyway, i hope we do because adebayor is increasingly looking like a clown.

longrufus

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
we bought both reyes in january and rvp in the summer, both with the intention of fighting for the same position. it isnt impossible that we want zigic. anyway, i hope we do because adebayor is increasingly looking like a clown.

When Wenger said he liked Adebayor as he give us a different option, something we do not already have. We have not changed our style of play. Zigic is a different proposition entirely, to buy him says that we will change the our style of play, that we will always play with a target man, and this will simply not happen.
Why, because Wenger has faith in himself and the style of football he adopts. I dont see this changing any time soon.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
longrufus said:
patrick42uk said:

When Wenger said he liked Adebayor as he give us a different option, something we do not already have. We have not changed our style of play. Zigic is a different proposition entirely, to buy him says that we will change the our style of play, that we will always play with a target man, and this will simply not happen.
Why, because Wenger has faith in himself and the style of football he adopts. I dont see this changing any time soon.

Well he did change his midfield formation from two hardmen in CM or atleast two CDM, which ones have we had since Paddy left =Cesc a playmaker a thing we haven't seen Wenger play plus an invincble wall aka Bert who isn't a physical presence. And he has dabbled wih 4-5-1 in the CL

longrufus

Established Member
451 was born out of necessity, we needed more stability in the middle in certain games. Yet this sysem still allowed us to play the same flowing passing game.
Different situation, i agree we are now a less physical team in the middle but our style has not changed that much. Under Wenger we have always played through the middle. Cesc is the only real difference, however the trade off is beneficial in my view.
Buying Zigic is a different scenario as it will inevitably change our style of play (always playing with a targt man), which will simply not happen.
I'll admit im wrong the second Zigic signs. But as i've always said, the story is nonsense.

kashif_wattoo

well...i first wanted such striker but now i would prefer Kuyt or Torres over him..size does matter but this team does not work this way...

siddharth

longrufus said:
Buying Zigic is a different scenario as it will inevitably change our style of play (always playing with a target man), which will simply not happen.
I'll admit im wrong the second Zigic signs. But as i've always said, the story is nonsense.
Why do you assume that signing zigic would mean we change our style of play ? It didn't happen with adebayor and if we signed zigic it would be the same.I can see that you see both as similar players but if zigic is technically more gifted than adebayor and can head efficiently and score goals unlike ade then i don't see any harm in getting him.Ofcourse it does mean that adebayor is no longer required.

When Wenger said he liked Adebayor as he give us a different option, something we do not already have. We have not changed our style of play.
Exactly.There have been many occasions this year when we have simply hoofed the ball to adebayor but can you classify that as a change of style ? no.So how does getting zigic change our style of play ? If you have a tall striker the team will at times try to make use of his strengths.Our style of play will always be centred around Henry as long as he's here and wenger would never shift to the targetman style.

KingReyes

Established Member
patrick42uk said:

I thought you were happy with his progress?

So it looks like the thoughts on Adebayor when he signed are actually spot on. He's average.

Amadeor

Anyone who fails to see the qualities of Adebayor, and what he brings to the team, doesn't know jack about football. People see two misses, and they write him off. I once saw 20 misses from Henry just after he signed, and they were just as bad.

longrufus

Established Member
siddharth said:
Why do you assume that signing zigic would mean we change our style of play ? It didn't happen with adebayor and if we signed zigic it would be the same.I can see that you see both as similar players but if zigic is technically more gifted than adebayor and can head efficiently and score goals unlike ade then i don't see any harm in getting him.Ofcourse it does mean that adebayor is no longer required.

First of all i have posted numerous times about Zigic's apparent ability. Sorry but at 26, with his only success being in the Serbian league, simply not good enough. Scan back a few pages to see my full post.

Secondly, i rate Adebayor highly, he has everything at his disposal to be a great player here.

My whole point is, buying Zigic in effect will give us 2 targetmen. This in the current Arsenal set up, is useless and unwanted. We have Adebayor, who was bought as an aerial option in games. Whats the need for Zigic when we already have that option. As you quite rightly say, we will not change our game, so why play a player like Zigic, instead of RvP, when RvP will offer us far more.

Neo_McKane

I think i know where the problem is. We don't have any STRIKERS. And that's the point. We have attackers, but not strikers. We create 10 chances per game, and how many of them are used?Unfortunately, sometimes even 0.
We need someone who will use most of those chances, and i think Zigic is the right solution.

longrufus

Established Member
I highly doubt that, the player your talking about, is a player like Ian Wright.

Modern day alternative... Huntelaar

longrufus

Established Member
Torres isnt what i would call i clinical striker, he is a great player, with amazing talent, but a different type of player.

Lupoli is a clinical striker, if he could make the step up he would be awesome.

kashif_wattoo

but we DO NEED someone to replace Bergkamp, Persie n Ade have still alot to do. We need a ready-made striker who won't take long to start scoring like hell, like Kuyt or Huntelaar are doing or what David Villa is doing in spain...Torres is not that prolific, But i strongly believe that he will be a goal-machine at Arsenal with Henry, Reyes, Hleb, Cesc all providing him!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I tried to watch the Sp*rs match on television in my hotel yesterday, but I fell asleep.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Top Bottom