• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Papa Bouba Diop

Split

the first player that I could think of to replace Vieira was Papa Diop, he's exactly the type of player we need: strong, athletic and dominant in midfield. He proved last season he's top draw. After Wenger missed out on 'The Beast', Diop made even more sense to me. - Wenger has described the type of player he is after and Papa fits the bill. I also recall AW expressing his admiration for Papa when we played Fulham last season, so I can only conclude that the reason Diop is not on his way to Highbury is the price tag Coleman has slapped on his shiny head! Incidently there is an interesting comparison between Vieira and Diop on Arsenal.com

Smartly Dressed Morris

I also think he would be exactly what we need

To all the people who dont want him if you had to choose between adding him or no one , which would you prefer ?

kamikaze80

Established Member
Smartly Dressed Morris said:

To all the people who dont want him if you had to choose between adding him or no one , which would you prefer ?
thats not really the right question to ask. whenever you evaluate a potential transfer, you're selecting one from many options. assuming he'd cost ~5M, the question should be, would he be the most effective way to spend that amount of money?

he's obviously an imposing figure and can ride out tackles, but is his distribution better than flamini's? what about his positioning and discipline? for all his size, would he actually help us on set-pieces? would we be better off trying to use that 5M in supplementing an offer for a midfielder who can jump into our first team? or a better 4th choice centreback? or using it towards henry's next contract?

i'm just a regular guy like the rest of you and have no idea who's actually available at what price, but i'd wager that diop is not the best option.

Ziontrain

kamikaze80 said:
Smartly Dressed Morris said:

thats not really the right question to ask. whenever you evaluate a potential transfer, you're selecting one from many options. assuming he'd cost ~5M, the question should be, would he be the most effective way to spend that amount of money?

he's obviously an imposing figure and can ride out tackles, but is his distribution better than flamini's? what about his positioning and discipline? for all his size, would he actually help us on set-pieces? would we be better off trying to use that 5M in supplementing an offer for a midfielder who can jump into our first team? or a better 4th choice centreback? or using it towards henry's next contract?

i'm just a regular guy like the rest of you and have no idea who's actually available at what price, but i'd wager that diop is not the best option.

I keep telling you: you cannot fall into the trap of letting his physique stereotype him as a player. He is actually a very technically skilled guy who used to play a more attacking role at Lens! He plays crisp balls on the ground - and far more forward/biting ones than Flamini.

Also Chris Coleman has gone on record as saying that with their unsure defense he has instructed Diop to sit a bit more on defense and distribute the ball sideways a bit more when in posession. So you are seeing nowhere near this guys full range of capabilites.

Yet Diop has given Fulham an aeriel threat, most notably at the end of last season where he was a downright menace at set plays, drawing double coverage sometimes.

Rather than write without knowing the player go and see a couple of Fulham games - tickets are not that pricey and they rarely sell out. Then sit there and watch what he does on and off the ball (the camera generally follows the ball and doesn't always give you a FULL sense of a players movement and thinking). You'll find that he has a tad less defensive coverage than Liverpool's outstanding ball-hawk Lamine Sissoke, but still plenty of astute positioning a la Gilberto -and a lot more potential offense in his boots.

Piared with Gilberto, Diop could well give us a new Petit-Viera axis of two imposing guys (6'3" and 6'5" respectively) who are both athletic and skilled, and can dominate the ball in BOTH DIRECTIONS.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
who, mind you, has said that he doesnt consider Arsenal to be bigger than Lyon, so he will not leave them for us...

next idea?

qs

Established Member
Just keeps popping up doesnt it. Im starting to believe it too. Seems like a WEnger transfer too, strong athletic, talented player at a reasonable price. He'd be a nice option IMO, against teams like United who try to kick us off the pitch a big guy like that could be just what we need.

AFCG7

Established Member
He isnt Vieira.. nobody will ever be like PAddy , but he is damn better than Flamini. We should go for him in January..why Wenger didnt take him off Fulham's hands in the summer is surprising to me. His physical presence and shooting power woul have made him an ideal candidate.

Gunner8

Spent for who?
The mexican 16 year old maybe?
Let's buy some mens that can play as soon as they are transfered!

tox

My mate's a fulham fan, and i went with him to see them play west ham the other day. Diop played crap and i couldn't see what all the fuss was about, but my friend insisted that this was one of the worst performances hes ever seen from him and how normally he is fulhams best player on the pitch. Hes huge, and i mean huge! and from what i've heard hes meant to have a good touch and pass, hes also scored a few crackers against chelsea and man u, which is always helpful. 7 mil sounds a lot, but if wenger goes for him then he must feel that he has the potential to improve into a world class player.

AfC_li4nGht

Screw Diop, let's go for Diarra at Lyon. A brilliant player who would fit in Arsenals style

Diarra say Lyon is a bigger team than Arsenal :wink:
Diop is really a very decent buy & might turn into a new Vieira. Beside his gd distribution & share defencive duties with Gilberto, his long shot is a plus factor too. Imagine a last min long shot or header to give Arsenal precious 3 points.
In this thrend of 4-5-1 EPL, this is maybe part of wenger tactic to couter it
Trust in Wenger,and spotting good midfielder is one of wenger forte :angel

longrufus

Established Member
25 i think.

How did he end up at fulham..

Had a trail at portsmouth, harry didnt like the look of him, had a trail at fulham and impressed so they bought him.

He is ok in my opinion, not someone i would get excited about.

For about 3million i think he would be worth it, as a squad player, cover for gilberto if anything.

If you were to believe the sun it said fulhams price tag was 8m but arsenal would offer 7m. I would rather this money be used to buy a better player, offer it to ballack as wages! But the money could be put to better use, improving our first team and squad.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom