• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Newcastle United | 14/08/05

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
ToonFan said:
leonardo santiago said:
ended Gilberto's carreer.

Go an watch basketball or something if you want to watch a non contact sport. Jeez, it was a foul nothing more. Two footed = No, Red card = No, bad decision that changed the match = yes.

I'm not doing anything some Toon tells me.

If he would have done a proper 1-footed tackle (I'm not saying this one was two footed, but his second leg swept the leg Gilberto was standing on) he shouldn't even have had a card (Jenas should practise doing proper tackles), imo he played the ball with his incoming foot. Imo a lot of players often get a yellow for doing a clean sliding (only playing the ball) for which they shouldn't be booked (I love a good sliding tackle, unfortunately there are less and less players who are able to do it and less and less refs who allow it); this was not the case. It was a ridiculous challenge, might not be intentional, might be unlucky, might be because it was a poorly executed sliding tackle, I don't care it was a red card, you can not sweep the leg, on which somebody's full weight is, like that from behind (no matter if you win the ball or not). You can end carreers like that.

ToonFan

kel varnsen said:
go watch rugby you * neanderthal.

I'm glad you show your true colours and immaturity by resorting to name calling fellow football supporters rather than justifying your opinions in adult conversation, well done :)

kel varnsen said:
... it was an insane challenge. no where near the ball and could have ended gilberto's career if he had been unlucky. no f*ck off to wherever you clueless *****.

I will fail to argue about the "insane challange" thats your opinion. but I will comment on the "no where near the ball"statement you make. I must address whether we were watching the same incident at the same match because the tackle I seen clearly showed Jenas hitting the ball with his leading leg and then fouling Gilberto with his second leg.

Finally if this makes me a "clueless *****" then so be it, just calling it how I seen it. I comment on many forums and appreciate the unbiased opinions of many of the supporters I chat with, whether its for newcastle or against them. Others however, like yourself are unable or unwanting to comment unless is lowers or demoralises the opposing team.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
ToonFan said:
leonardo santiago said:

Go an watch basketball or something if you want to watch a non contact sport. Jeez, it was a foul nothing more. Two footed = No, Red card = No, bad decision that changed the match = yes.

go watch rugby you * neanderthal... it was an insane challenge. no where near the ball and could have ended gilberto's career if he had been unlucky. no f*ck off to wherever you clueless *****.
jenas_gilberto.jpg

What's that on the ball then? Jenas' arse? I'm amazed the mods let boorish behaviour like yours pass around here.

I think the red card was a little harsh. A yellow card and a stern warning would have been correct. It spoilt the game as a spectacle.

ToonFan

Thanks for the picture kaids, that clearly shows what was right and wrong about that tackle and possibly why Gilberto fell in the way he did; not because he was play acting as redknapp indicated but because he was off balance using one foot to control the ball and one to hold his weight.

Canuck

Established Member
Good job Kaids for getting the discussion back on topic here. It was starting to degenerate a bit. It was a yellow card tackle. He went in for the ball but honestly he knew he was going to take Gilberto down too. How could he not?

The ref just did what he thought was right which was to make an example of Jenas in a match where things could have gotten pretty chippy pretty fast.
All of this crackdown on dangerous tackles is a good thing IMO, but it will take some time for the players to catch on and the Refs to find a good mix of what is legal and what is dangerous.

I think it was the right decision on the day, and I think that it was also correct to withdraw the red card and make it a yellow after. Same message sent (you just can't sweep in and try to break someones leg, not that I'm saying Jenas wanted that, but it could have happened) without Jenas missing the next match for NewU.

kel varnsen

Established Member
kaids said:
kel varnsen said:
ToonFan said:
leonardo santiago said:

go watch rugby you * neanderthal... it was an insane challenge. no where near the ball and could have ended gilberto's career if he had been unlucky. no f*ck off to wherever you clueless *****.
jenas_gilberto.jpg

What's that on the ball then? Jenas' arse? I'm amazed the mods let boorish behaviour like yours pass around here. I think the red card was a little harsh. A yellow card and a stern warning would have been correct. It spoilt the game as a spectacle.

he got the ball after he went flying into gilberto. an insane challenge. besides a still picture tells us basically nothing. when i said no where near, i meant off course according to the rules. if you ignore the rules, jenas could have punched gilberto in the face and taken the ball....

goooner

On this picture you can clearly see that JJ was going on the ball and to crush Gilberto couse if he was going on the ball hir right leg would be in front of Gilberto's left leg, deserved red card!!!!!!

air

What I don't like about the challenge is that it could have snapped Gilberto's shin in half. Usually doesn't happen but it was dangerous anyway. On the other hand I doubt Jenas intended to break Gilberto's leg. It looked very dangerous but probably not a red card offence.

sabret00the

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
kaids said:
kel varnsen said:
ToonFan said:
leonardo santiago said:

jenas_gilberto.jpg

What's that on the ball then? Jenas' arse? I'm amazed the mods let boorish behaviour like yours pass around here. I think the red card was a little harsh. A yellow card and a stern warning would have been correct. It spoilt the game as a spectacle.

he got the ball after he went flying into gilberto. an insane challenge. besides a still picture tells us basically nothing. when i said no where near, i meant off course according to the rules. if you ignore the rules, jenas could have punched gilberto in the face and taken the ball....
come on kel, you lost this one, foot on the ball, gilberto on his feet, second leg no where to be seen, take the L and be a bigger man for another day.

Army of Me

Established Member
it's all very well having a look at a pic and saying he's nowhere near gilberto, but it's what happened after that pic, jenas' entire body pretty much landed on bert's left leg, it was quite dangerous, but like i said previously, there was no malice and i personally don't feel it was a red card decision, but i can see how some people would.

bethie

one point to note, you guys will not be so sanguine if Bert is out for a month or so due to that tackle.

sabret00the

Established Member
pha2er said:
it's all very well having a look at a pic and saying he's nowhere near gilberto, but it's what happened after that pic, jenas' entire body pretty much landed on bert's left leg, it was quite dangerous, but like i said previously, there was no malice and i personally don't feel it was a red card decision, but i can see how some people would.
that's basically how i feel.

i mean how many times have we seen Lauren do real two footed challenges and get away with just a yellow.

Canuck

Established Member
sabret00the said:
pha2er said:
that's basically how i feel.

i mean how many times have we seen Lauren do real two footed challenges and get away with just a yellow.

We'll he won't be getting away with it that much this season with the 'crackdown'

mccroix

just came back from croatia and wathched the full length on tape...

well i think it is definatly red! jj nearly crushed his leg!!

i thought pires was not good at all... :roll: bad passing etc. hleb was much better..
henry wasn't that good either, boumsong marked him very well., but he'll come to form ;)

in my eyes the best players were toure and lauren. they played extremly well...

i'm happy for RvP, you wouldn't think he's involved in that rape thing, the way he's playing...

AFCG7

Established Member
Hmm.. one more observation.. there doesnt have to be malice for a player to get red-carded. A Horribly mistimed tackle , whether there was good intentions behind it will still fetch many players a red card.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom