• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Chelsea vs Arsenal | 20/04/05

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 450
  • Views 14,252

OneProudGooner

Established Member
Pires was unlucky but we did miss Henry's extra bit of magic cos otherwise we don't really have someone with the ability nick a goal inside the box.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
OneProudGooner said:
It's quite obvious Reyes isn't that stupid after getting past 2 players its funny though, even though Reyes is young somebody has to start a "slag of" Reyes thread even though he gave 100% but lacked support upfront when Bergkamp was bloody awful yea he has been playing for us for years but still is it really neccessary?

Whole heartedly agree. I will add though, full of running though Reyes was, as isolated as he was, it still seems nothing he tries is coming off. He must be feeling very frustrated.

Sammer

Established Member
We did a lot better than I expected us to do with Titi missing.

Regarding Reyes, I sincerely do not know what to think of the kid. His workrate is outstanding, but to be honest, he is not yet the effective player that breaks up defensive locks. Now today, he probably could not have done better, but I am just waiting and hoping for the one game, where HE makes the difference again - just like the start of the season.

kanuuu

Established Member
I'm happy not to lost to the ****s to be honest, the title is over but well done to the lads.

Lol at United!

scooter

I thought the game finished with a fair result and the sportsmanship tonight was fantastic. Much better than some crap we have to watch with a Man U game.
Phil looks great, i have much more confidence with him at the back rather than Cygan. Reyes didn't dive (why would he?) and he must becoming very frustrated at his form, at the end of the day we all know what he's capable of. Bobby stood out, but then again Chelsea can make alot of forwards look like spectators.

patrick42uk

Established Member
the team fills me with a lot of confidence for the remaining 6 games this season. we are keeping clean sheets, we know we can score goals, and vieira is playing well. its looking good.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
I agree that Bergkamp should've come off much sooner than he did. But I dont even think van Persie touched the ball when he come on did he?

Reyes didn't dive, he was clipped. The clip for Carvalho didnt make him fall, Reyes fell himself, but the foul was there. I think the main reason he fell was because he saw Terry or Lampard, not sure which one, coming across and they would've got to the ball before him, so he fell. Definately shouldn't of been a yellow card offence though.

But we really did miss Henry and Ljungberg also. Bergkamp links with Ljungberg better than anyone else on the team, as Pires links with Henry better than any one else on the team. So we were missing a pieces to two of our puzzles. I just wish at least once this season we could've had a shot at Chelsea with our full team. At Highbury we missed our central midfield duo, and at the Bridge we missed our two most potent attackers. I guess we can thank God we didn't miss our two best centre backs.

And on a side note, did anyone watching the match on TV see the priceless look Ashley Cole gave Glen Johnson when Johnson tried a "Cristiano Ronaldo" to get passed him and Ashley just cleared the ball out of bounds late in the second half? Maybe its just my warped sense of humour, but I laughed my ass off at that! Glen Johnson, oh please!

Also, anyone notice the uncomfortable look Jose Mourinho and Ashley Cole had when Mourinho came on the pitch to shake hands? Another priceless one!

whoztheman

senderos
lauren,
toure,
cole
heroes of the day for me. i have never ever seen them defend like that in my entire life. what tackles. brilliant interceptions. they made some brilliant two footed tackles too to take the ball away. never seen lamp and duff so quite in a game. they may have touched the ball only once or twice! amazing.
there's only one vieira.
pires did well enough.
gilberto did what he was supposed to do.
cesc is one of those players who does everything right. he holds onto the ball really well. he was hardly ever on the right side, spent 90% of his time alongside vieira. its a pity he cant play every game in his rightful (unintended pun)position.
henry could have made all the difference. as in the semi final game, we lacked any sort of creativity upfront. cant remember dennis or reyes doing anything special upfront. i'd start with henry and rvp from now
credit also goes to wenger. he pumped up the players before the match. not one player played below his ability.
let our domination of london to continue for centuries to come.

chris66

I understand why so many of us want Reyes to be a success but tonight summed up how disappointing he has been. It is clear we are entering the post-Bergkamp era and Reyes simply hasn't been able to step up and take the lead. Effort alone is not enough - there are lots of people who can try hard - top level football is a pure results business. Reyes' tricks don't work, he loses the ball to often and in short for a forward doesn't score enough goals.

We need someone to take over from Denis - its hard to see Jose as that guy. Tonight was one of those days he needed to step up. He didn't. He tried, but yet again he didn't.

Gurgen

Established Member
But he's not the 'step-up' kind of player, he's not a leader. He's a dribbler, and he will always be that, the sooner you realize that the better. Every game he tries things, a large part of them will go wrong, even if he is 30.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
It was a fair result and i was impressed at the sportsmanship shown at the end thats the difference between games v. Chelsea and v. Man Utd. Im proud of the lads, they gave the game everything they had and to me didn't look likely to concede which fills me with confidence ahead of the final 6 games.

Bergkamp shoud have been brought of eariler so that RVP could have had more of an impact. Dennis didn't look up to it and we would have valued from a fresh pair of legs.

chris66

So Gurgen - are you saying that as along as we don't expect Reyes to do anything of note all is well with the world! If he can't replace Henry, can't replace Bergkamp and is at best a mediocre winger - what use is he to us?

Gurgen

Established Member
chris66 said:
So Gurgen - are you saying that as along as we don't expect Reyes to do anything of note all is well with the world!

Where did I say that? I said things will go wrong, it's only natural with that kind of player. It's the few good moments that make the difference. Yesterday he went past his man about 4-5 times, but there was no support whatsover and he crossed into oblivion.

Kum_Arsenal

Gunners had a good game.

Both the side had many chances to score.

But I'm happy wil the result. :)

Sadly the Title goes to chelski :(

more than that Manu S***s have lost to everton 1-0 with 2 read cards. :D

arsenal98

As I´ve said earlier I am proud of the lads because the will was there to see. Well even Bobby got stuck in a few times cause he wanted it. Can´t criticise anyone really. The defensive work has improved immensely and the confidence is increasing after each game. Senderoses work is exceptional though, his directing of the defense is class, with the occasional lapse, but even Terry had his
hiccups yesterday...
The slagging off of Reyes at every opportunity is getting out of hand. WHERE WERE ALL YOU C**TS IN SEPTEMBER ? EH ? Couldn´t you see his weakness then ? Why not ? You experts should have because he´s the same man today. He´s just a crap winger no use to us isn´t he ? I´m not saying he´s played like a world beater for the last six months cause he hasn´t, but who has in this current side ? Whatever the reason, confidence, home-sickness, allergy of british food, girl-friend left, Henry pissed of with him, he´s there and he needs the support of Arsenal fans. Consider yourself a supporter ? Then feel free to support Reyes as you do the rest of 'em. Slag off Wenger and the board for playing and signing players that aren´t doing well, not the player and to this extent apparent on these forums. Or even better, why not get your knickers in a twist over the FA, the refs, Chelscum and Moroninho, Manure and Red Nose, Bruising 4-5-1 tactics by all against us etc. I´ve slagged players off and will continue to do so, but I can say it does not become a political agenda for me as it seems to become for some, ranting on and on and on and on and on.......

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Great performance overall I thought, I knew they were not anything special. I think it is all looking very good for next year, especailly if we bring in a couple of class players and have luck with injuries.

I thought we were excellent in defence, aided by the total ****ness of Drogba. 24 million? Youre havin a larf!

In midfield we were excellent. Gilberto has made a huge difference to our team, we look 100% more solid. He was excellent again last night, as was PV apart from a couple of sloppy moments where he put us under pressure.

I thought Cesc had a brilliant game, he is just such a good player and did all that we could have asked of him last night. Pires was class last night, my motm.

Upfront though we were poor again. Dennis had a terrible game, and I am getting worried about him now. Reyes for all his hard work was totally ineffective again. Didnt look like he would score all night. I keep waiting for him to put in a world class performance, but it just doesnt look like happening. Without Henry upfront we are very lightweight in attack, and we need an out and out striker in the summer. When Henry is back I think Van Persie and Ali should be given a run of games with him.

Overall I thought a draw was a fair result, havent seen any highlights yet but thought we should have had a pen?
Will do a view from the stands later if I have time unless someone else does one first.

galaxyheight

ya i agree with many of you here. they guys played well and gave everything they got in this match even though we did not win the match and the title now belongs to chelsea. i am proud of the players and i think wenger did a great job in getting his players giving everything and performing well in this match. without henry we still managed and most importantly willing to do that and never give up and lose hope. i hope this is a good sign of good things happening to us.

tristan

More respect to Arsenal from me after that match. There's a rivalry between Arsenal and Chelsea now, but it's more a competitive rivalry where each team goes after a win and plays the game rather than a hated rivalry like, say, Arsenal and ManUtd where each team tries to leave a dent in the other. I thought the Arsenal players played well for the most part. Reyes and Bergkamp were quite bad in my opinion, I haven't seen much of Arsenal this year but I don't know if it was more that they were bad, or that Carvalho had a blinder (his best Chelsea performance thus far), or maybe a bit of both. Lauren played well against Duff and kept him quiet for the most part, and Senderos played Drogba well, although Drogba was also quite horrible as well. Funny how both teams had problems up front.

Joe Cole had a nice game I felt, he did well against Viera when he came up against him, had a couple steals off him, faded late on though. I'm glad to see it was a clean game, both sides played well for the most part but some poor play up front prevented any goals.

As for the penalty claim, where Bergkamp got tied up with Johnson, both of them were doing a bit of pushing and holding. I thought it was a good no-call, nothing really was going on that was dirty. On the Reyes dive card, the feed we got in Canada and the US didn't give a good angle on the replays, the only replays we got were at Carvalho's back so we couldn't see anything clearly. I thought that Reyes didn't go down immediately, but whether that was because Carvalho forced him to stumble and fall or whether he just dove couldn't really be seen. Reyes didn't really have anywhere to go after that anyway, I don't think anything could have been created, but that card shouldn't have an effect on suspensions or anything in the season.

Oh, I don't think Henry would've given you lot a couple goals. I think that Arsenal tries to play too much to him when he's on the pitch, and the way Carvalho and the Chelsea defence played he wouldn't have been able to do it all himself. I never felt like Chelsea would concede while watching the game, Chelsea had the better of the chances overall, although Pires' second chance was the best of all and he really should have put that one away.

Chips&CurrySauce

The game panned out as I expected. chelsea just sitting deep and waiting for us to lose possession and catch us on the break... I think a draw was a fair result but as Arsène said we had to score first to change Chelseas style, unfortunately Pires missed a sitter... He had to bury it at the near post, I can't understand why he went across the goal... Having said that, Pires was superb as was the entire midfield.. There were times in the first half that our passing was just electric..

I think Lauren was excellent, kept Duff quiet and Toure and Senderos were also awesome. Sederos had the tougher job though because Drogba was pulling to our left, and there were so many times Cole was out of position... I thought Cole was quite poor, can't believe he got man of the match...

Chelsea are a good side, excellent at the back and I'm really impressed with Carvallho... But our midfiueld totally dominated theirs.. Lamaprd and Makelele were quite poor I thought and Joe Cole did nothing aswell, apart from dive and rant and rave at the ref... Vieira and Gilberto were excellent... I think this is the best football Gilberto has played since he joined us.. He seems to be alot more confident...

Anyway I'm proud of the boys, and its good to see that both teams played hard but fair and the spirit between both sets of players was excellent.. Especially in view of the fact that hte Mancs totally disgraced themselves last night!!!

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom