• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry: The King Stay The King

Bloodbather

Established Member

Underrated kinda, but not better than Henry. He's right about Anelka though, it's commonly accepted among the players in that gen that Anelka was better.
Anelka may have been the more talented player, I think that's disputable also, but he absolutely wasn't the better player. He never had the football IQ or the commitment to the game Henry did. There's no comparison whatsoever. The talk about Anelka is littered with "what if" romanticism.

Re: Eto'o, he's at a similar level to Henry as a footballer. I rate Henry higher because he was the more creative player, but it's close. He's out to lunch for saying Henry wasn't at his level though. He seems to suffer from the Pelé syndrome of bitterness and putting his foot in his mouth a bit.

I remember even Lee Dixon saying he was a better finisher and it took alot of time for Thierry Where as for Nic it was like a duck to water.
Dixon didn't play with Henry at the height of his powers, that might be skewing his view a bit.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Eto'o was a fantastic player.

But c'mon he's not at the level of Henry. Henry had way more strings to his bow and a higher ceiling.

Not sure Henry playing for France gave him that much additional unfair praise. Though playing for a European country that won major international tournaments probably didn't hurt.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Eto'o was a fantastic player.

But c'mon he's not at the level of Henry. Henry had way more strings to his bow and a higher ceiling.

Not sure Henry playing for France gave him that much additional unfair praise. Though playing for a European country that won major international tournaments probably didn't hurt.
I remember the debate about Eto’o and Henry at the time.

Eto’o was the better finisher but not the all round footballer and couldn’t elevate his team the way Henry did. He wasn’t the star at Barce (that was Ronaldinho and then Messi).

Anelka should have been the best of the lot with his talent but couldn’t be arsed to put it all together.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Anelka was badly advised. At some point it became almost a quest for the next transfer, to maximize earnings for his entourage.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Anelka was badly advised. At some point it became almost a quest for the next transfer, to maximize earnings for his entourage.
Is this really true for any of his transfers during his prime other than his move to Fenerbahçe, though? Leaving Arsenal for Real was a misstep in hindsight, but it's difficult to reject Real if they come calling. Then he tried to resurrect his career by moving back to PSG and going on loan to Liverpool, where he didn't really impress. Started playing well again with City, then moved to Fenerbahçe in a financially motivated move, went back to the PL with Bolton, did well and ultimately managed to resurrect his career that way. So it's really just Fenerbahçe that sticks out to me.

I think the reason why he moved around so much wasn't to maximize earnings, it was that he offered so much potential that he drew enough intrigue for investment, but didn't deliver enough to stick around.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Is this really true for any of his transfers during his prime other than his move to Fenerbahçe, though? Leaving Arsenal for Real was a misstep in hindsight, but it's difficult to reject Real if they come calling. Then he tried to resurrect his career by moving back to PSG and going on loan to Liverpool, where he didn't really impress. Started playing well again with City, then moved to Fenerbahçe in a financially motivated move, went back to the PL with Bolton, did well and ultimately managed to resurrect his career that way. So it's really just Fenerbahçe that sticks out to me.

I think the reason why he moved around so much wasn't to maximize earnings, it was that he offered so much potential that he drew enough intrigue for investment, but didn't deliver enough to stick around.
Maybe, I do think his immaturity also played a role. In his early years, he seemed to have a lot of issues with various coaches, Domenech particularly springs to mind.

You'd think he would have gotten more out of his talent and his career had he had a more stable club situation over time. I think it was something like 11 clubs in 13 years at some point.

At 22 he even mused about at this himself:

"It is easy to look back on Arsenal with a great deal of happiness because I had a very understanding coach who played to my natural strengths.

"And perhaps, when I look back on the past few years, it would have been easier to have stayed and continued the progress I'd made with Arsène Wenger."

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...man was a joke 😍

Riou

Some things just can’t be taught man, my adopted dad this man.

The Portsmouth fans were begging for Thierry to go to them for a season or two at the end of his career, trying to plant any seeds they could.

The King was NEVER living in Portsmouth though :lol:

Riou

FiPMPCTXgAAPcwA

...good meme in this, I feel.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom