• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Body Falling Apartey

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Partey had 38 touches yesterday. Ramsdale had 35.

Liverpool completely bypassed him yesterday and he was non-existent. Apart from that wonderful shot I would have thought he wasn't playing at all.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Everyone camped in the Tavares thread and trying to bash him but Poundland Amartey gets a free pass.

This lad is our fourth most expensive signing ever after Ben White and should be the experienced one in midfield that calms things down but he went missing.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Whisper it but Atletico haven't exactly missed him either.

Look I don't want to go over the top as he has so many real good attributes that you want from your CM. But he's not a leader first and foremost, he's a bit passive and you could argue he absolutely needs someone like Xhaka (or preferably someone better but similar level of experience/leadership) alongside him to be his most effective.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

Still hard to judge anyone fully under Arteta. He's WC one week , dogshit the next 4

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Everyone camped in the Tavares thread and trying to bash him but Poundland Amartey gets a free pass.

This lad is our fourth most expensive signing ever after Ben White and should be the experienced one in midfield that calms things down but he went missing.

Especially that period in the 2nd half, can't remember if it was before or after the 2nd goal. Needed someone in their to sit in front of the back 4 and take the sting out of the game for 10 minutes.

Defence didn't have a hope with no midfield in front of them. Sambi you can understand as he's a rookie really but Partey is by far our most experienced midfielder available and he went missing.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Especially that period in the 2nd half, can't remember if it was before or after the 2nd goal. Needed someone in their to sit in front of the back 4 and take the sting out of the game for 10 minutes.

Defence didn't have a hope with no midfield in front of them. Sambi you can understand as he's a rookie really but Partey is by far our most experienced midfielder available and he went missing.

Partey didn’t look fully fit tbf. Arteta rushed him back too early again it looked like.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Partey didn’t look fully fit tbf. Arteta rushed him back too early again it looked like.

It's not the first time he's been poor though. Yes the injuries don't help and of course I understand it's really hard for these guys to look good playing under Arteta but for the player we all thought we work getting we really haven't seen it much at all.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I remember when Atletico played vs Liverpool in Anfield and he played a different role to what he does for us and was one of the best players on the pitch that game.

I guess that just shows the difference between Simeone and Arteta though.
This post shows two things.

Firstly, Arteta tax is real

Secondly, A-M and @OnlyOne especially were wrong (again) for crucifying me when I said Partey is a DM that’s very good on the ball but still not a CM. Arsenal fans always want to move players up the pitch which just takes away what made them good. You don’t see Liverpool playing Fabinho at CM for example.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

I think when many players come to Arsenal from big clubs where they’ve already had success they do just kinda mentally clock out, not on purpose, but they just kinda settle for the money and chill.

True, though the age of some of our recent signing plays a part too.

Hasn't Partey only won 1 Europa League though, not sure you can clock out on just that :lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He’s not a controller or a primary distributor, I don’t think he’s ever going to be the guy who takes it on him to slow down a game.

He’s a potentially world class DM and that’s it. Some DMs can also play that controller role but I don’t think that’s him and that’s fine. The DM is very rarely the controller, Thiago played next to Fabinho yday and Kante plays with Jorginho. It’s only really Rodri and Rice who are doing both off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I rate Partey highly from what I saw of him in Spain and being made to look poor against Liverpool isn't the end of the world.

Starting to run out of excuses though. We see glimpses of his talent but it's always inconsistent.

Hate to say it, but at times he's mentally and physically lazy.

Lokonga and Tavares messing up I can gloss over a bit, they're inexperienced youngsters. I expect more from Thomas.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He’s not a controller or a primary distributor, I don’t think he’s ever going to be the guy who takes it on him to slow down a game.

He’s a potentially world class DM and that’s it. Some DMs can also play that controller role but I don’t think that’s him. Tbh the DM is very rarely the controller, Thiago played next to Fabinho yday and Kante plays with Jorginho. It’s only really Rodri and Rice who are doing both off the top of my head.

I know I was definitely taken over by the romantic idea that we'd finally replaced Vieira when we signed him and he had a lot more to his game that Simeone had harnessed but the reality is he ain't that type of player at all.

He's a destroyer and that's how he should be used, Fabinho is the perfect example. Win the ball and give it to someone else to do his thing. Of our current options Xhaka is the most likely and they had a decent looking partnership but ideally you replace Xhaka with someone with more quality long term.

He just doesn't seem comfortable the further up the pitch he goes. That said last night his attitude was terrible, anonymous. It's a common joke that when he's had enough he sits down and waits for the sub but it makes you think.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

As well as the pay rise...I am pretty certain Arteta could only convince Partey to join us, was by promising Thomas that he could do whatever he wants in our midfield (would explain all the shots he has, even the games when Tommy just subs himself out of from)

I thought he could be the more attacking CM too, but I do believe he is much better as the more defensive midfielder after watching him...he's enjoying cosplaying as Vieira now though, not sure we have anyone at the club brave enough to tell him to play a more restricted role.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I know I was definitely taken over by the romantic idea that we'd finally replaced Vieira when we signed him and he had a lot more to his game that Simeone had harnessed but the reality is he ain't that type of player at all.

He's a destroyer and that's how he should be used, Fabinho is the perfect example. Win the ball and give it to someone else to do his thing. Of our current options Xhaka is the most likely and they had a decent looking partnership but ideally you replace Xhaka with someone with more quality long term.

He just doesn't seem comfortable the further up the pitch he goes.
Yeah imo it’s a choice of decent no8 or world class no6. I know what I’m picking everytime.

I’ve always felt like Partey gives me the vibes of a guy who’s come here to play further forward even though he knows deep down that’s not him. Kind of like the kid who plays RB for his academy but plays RW with his mates because he’s better than everyone. :lol:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Signing someone like Declan Rice or Kalvin Phillips would have been a smarter option tbf.

Partey is officially dusted imo.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

And yeah his attitude is definitely something to monitor @Macho has mentioned this for a while.

I hope it’s not the case but maybe he did come here to chill a bit. I mean, you do have to wonder why he chose us sometimes. :lol:

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah imo it’s a choice of decent no8 or world class no6. I know what I’m picking everytime.

I’ve always felt like Partey gives me the vibes of a guy who’s come here to play further forward even though he knows deep down that’s not him. Kind of like the kid who plays RB for his academy but plays RW with his mates because he’s better than everyone. :lol:

I've seen clips of him for Ghana and it looks like he does that for them but I'm not sure if that's totally accurate. I'm sure there was stories from our friends at The Athletic that he'd came here to do that as well but yeah that's not his game. Definitely way more Gilberto than Vieira.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Signing someone like Declan Rice or Kalvin Phillips would have been a smarter option tbf.

Partey is officially dusted imo.
45M upfront in straight up cash as well.

People focus on the Pepe deal a lot but in terms of spending power (considering it was during the pandemic) this was a huge financial outlay for us.

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom