• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cozier-Dubery: It’s A Me, Amario

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The thing is. Arteta did play a Hale End kid this season in the Carabao but it wasn't Amario Cozier-Duberry. It was Charles Sagoe Jr, a decent talent in his own right but if we're keeping it a stack, Cozier-Duberry has been the more eye-catching talent of the two. Arteta liked Sagoe Jr - most probably because he can play across the front and is a solid technical dribbler. He made his choice then and I still think it was the wrong one, even though Sagoe Jr was still OK on the day and did quite well.
You don't think the fact that Cozier-Duberry had not (and still has not) signed a new contract, had anything to do with Arteta's choice?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You don't think the fact that Cozier-Duberry had not (and still has not) signed a new contract, had anything to do with Arteta's choice?
It might have. It's a bit of a funny one because we did the exact opposite with Nwaneri (although the latter is a better talent).

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It might have. It's a bit of a funny one because we did the exact opposite with Nwaneri (although the latter is a better talent).
Yeah. It's a bit different with Cozier-Duberry. One thing to consider is that he joined Arsenal when 14 years old, so only 4,5 years ago. These kind of youth players don't have as big affinity for Arsenal, as the ones who have been at the club for longer. So the expectation is not that they will stay to fight for places in a title challenging team. Which means they would have to do the Nelson route.

Talents like Nwaneri will be fast tracked, because the expectation is that they will become good enough players for Arsenal's first team. And that it won't take very long. Nwaneri is also more versatile, so it's possible for him to get minutes at different positions.

Sagoe Jr. has been at the club longer, and is a year older. Giving Cozier-Duberry those minutes instead of him, would not guarantee ACD staying. But it gave a bigger possibility for Sagoe Jr. to stay, who is more likely to extend anyway. While it's still possible ACD will also renew.

The problem with ACD is that he can only play RW for Arsenal? Maybe LW, but it's obviously not ideal. I really doubt he will stay, and I'm not really fuzzed because his path seems totally blocked.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah. It's a bit different with Cozier-Duberry. One thing to consider is that he joined Arsenal when 14 years old, so only 4,5 years ago. These kind of youth players don't have as big affinity for Arsenal, as the ones who have been at the club for longer. So the expectation is not that they will stay to fight for places in a title challenging team. Which means they would have to do the Nelson route.

Talents like Nwaneri will be fast tracked, because the expectation is that they will become good enough players for Arsenal's first team. And that it won't take very long. Nwaneri is also more versatile, so it's possible for him to get minutes at different positions.

Sagoe Jr. has been at the club longer, and is a year older. Giving Cozier-Duberry those minutes instead of him, would not guarantee ACD staying. But it gave a bigger possibility for Sagoe Jr. to stay, who is more likely to extend anyway. While it's still possible ACD will also renew.

The problem with ACD is that he can only play RW for Arsenal? Maybe LW, but it's obviously not ideal. I really doubt he will stay, and I'm not really fuzzed because his path seems totally blocked.
Tbf Cozier-Duberry has had a number very strong performances on the LW and interestingly in midfield aswell. A couple of wingback jaunts. He also is a Gooner aswell so clearly he has some affinity for the club.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Tbf Cozier-Duberry has had a number very strong performances on the LW and interestingly in midfield aswell. A couple of wingback jaunts. He also is a Gooner aswell so clearly he has some affinity for the club.

I sometimes wonder if it’s a physicality thing with ACD. He’s not the biggest, and obviously Arteta has access to data from the gym on how strong they are and stuff. Maybe he just didn’t make the weight, literally. It’s a weird one otherwise. Because giving him minutes would have gone a long way towards getting him to sign a contract- it takes two to tango and all that.

Actually it can’t be physicality because there’s absolutely no way he’s weaker than Fabio (cant see him when he turns sideways) Vieira. Idk man.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I sometimes wonder if it’s a physicality thing with ACD. He’s not the biggest, and obviously Arteta has access to data from the gym on how strong they are and stuff. Maybe he just didn’t make the weight, literally. It’s a weird one otherwise. Because giving him minutes would have gone a long way towards getting him to sign a contract- it takes two to tango and all that.

Actually it can’t be physicality because there’s absolutely no way he’s weaker than Fabio (cant see him when he turns sideways) Vieira. Idk man.
I think too many people lend credence to the idea of his physique being a problem and I can understand why but the problem is people watch clips and look at pictures - not a whole match. The truth is somewhere in the middle - no Cozier-Duberry is not going to physically bully anybody but he's more than capable of holding his own against bigger defenders, using his agility, acceleration and excellent change of direction when dribbling. He's also not exactly a weakling, and is able to withstand some contact. He's literally just short, the only thing this affects is his aerial prowess (which he doesn't need anyway). He's more than capable of winning duels. Some of Cozier-Duberry's best performances have been central, right in the engine room of the team.

The irony is that Sagoe Jr is the one I feel initially struggles against bigger, more physical opponents but is usually fine/good once he adjusts (like what happened when he started with the U21s). I'll be interested to see what happens with Sagoe Jr when he comes back. I wouldn't sell him, I think a much better loan than Swansea should be in the offing.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
I think too many people lend credence to the idea of his physique being a problem and I can understand why but the problem is people watch clips and look at pictures - not a whole match. The truth is somewhere in the middle - no Cozier-Duberry is not going to physically bully anybody but he's more than capable of holding his own against bigger defenders, using his agility, acceleration and excellent change of direction when dribbling. He's also not exactly a weakling, and is able to withstand some contact. He's literally just short, the only thing this affects is his aerial prowess (which he doesn't need anyway). He's more than capable of winning duels. Some of Cozier-Duberry's best performances have been central, right in the engine room of the team.

The irony is that Sagoe Jr is the one I feel initially struggles against bigger, more physical opponents but is usually fine/good once he adjusts (like what happened when he started with the U21s). I'll be interested to see what happens with Sagoe Jr when he comes back. I wouldn't sell him, I think a much better loan than Swansea should be in the offing.

Never understood Sagoe Jr getting a start in that game against Brentford in the Caraboa cup. He was pretty bad from memory in that game although of course it shouldn’t be used against him.

The bigger picture is that Sagoe Jr is more likely to be plying his trade in the lower leagues in a few years whilst Cozier Duberry is light years ahead in terms of talent and is good enough to be playing in the Premier League. The club should cut their cloth accordingly.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Never understood Sagoe Jr getting a start in that game against Brentford in the Caraboa cup. He was pretty bad from memory in that game although of course it shouldn’t be used against him.

The bigger picture is that he’s more likely to be plying his trade in the lower leagues in a few years whilst Cozier Duberry is light years ahead in terms of talent and is good enough to be playing in the Premier League.
Sagoe Jr is quite good though. I don't think he's better than Cozier-Duberry but he's a very solid all-round attacker who's also been one of the stronger U21 performers in the last year or two aswell and come up with some clutch goals at that level. Not that much between them at the time they debuted but it's clear, especially since the start of Spring that Cozier-Duberry is much readier to play at a higher level. Sagoe Jr's momentum really halted with that Swansea move, I'm not sure who advised that one to happen. I thought after his debut for them that he would play more but he hasn't even played for their U21s I don't think. Really poor stuff - don't think we'll send anyone there again for the foreseeable.

DuBB

Not all of his highlights this season but a good chunk.

He looks decent, maybe even good. But unless he’s the level of a Nico Williams, or very close to it, I don’t think him staying is worth it to either party.

If he stays and fights for his place, this time next season he’ll be getting as many minutes as Eddie and Reiss are getting right now, and they’re considered relatively “established”.

Like someone said quite a few posts above, we are now at a level where the gap between our Academy players and our Starting 11 is no longer close it’s cavernous. We’re becoming a big boy side again. We need big boys not hopefuls. Nwaneri and Co. seem like potential big boys. They don’t look and play like hopefuls.

BBF

The bigger picture is that Sagoe Jr is more likely to be plying his trade in the lower leagues in a few years whilst Cozier Duberry is light years ahead in terms of talent and is good enough to be playing in the Premier League. The club should cut their cloth accordingly.

It made sense even if it didn't go to plan. Cozier-Duberry looks more talented but I also think Sagoe Jr at that point was more mentally refined to slot in for that particular game. The problem is, like many young players, that occasion got to him.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
I think because of physicality he chose the far lesser talent. ACD would ruin his career if he stayed. I would argue even nwaneri is better of leaving soon. But that’s too early. I just don’t see Arteta giving academy kids a chance
Sagoe jnr is not a far lesser talent than Duberry lol. Y'all overrate Duberry a bit, he is not a next level prospect and I like his profile, but the level the team is on now you need to be special to breakthrough

lomekian

Essays are my thing
The thing is. Arteta did play a Hale End kid this season in the Carabao but it wasn't Amario Cozier-Duberry. It was Charles Sagoe Jr, a decent talent in his own right but if we're keeping it a stack, Cozier-Duberry has been the more eye-catching talent of the two. Arteta liked Sagoe Jr - most probably because he can play across the front and is a solid technical dribbler. He made his choice then and I still think it was the wrong one, even though Sagoe Jr was still OK on the day and did quite well.
I think it was because Sagoe Jr is older, more physically robust, and at the time was definitely the most in form player at u21 level. ACD was a little off form at the time, and of course had had a glance during that mid-season friendly last season.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Sagoe jnr is not a far lesser talent than Duberry lol. Y'all overrate Duberry a bit, he is not a next level prospect and I like his profile, but the level the team is on now you need to be special to breakthrough
Cozier has much better numbers than Sagoe jr who is 2 years older. Technically there is no reason ever to give an academy player a chance as they don’t have the experience. It always take leaf of faith from the manager to take a risk on youngsters. Because Arteta is never gonna do that. I expect next few years we will be told no academy player is ever good enough

This is the manager who choice Cedric over Walters in dead rubber games. That’s what these young players are dealing with

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He looks decent, maybe even good. But unless he’s the level of a Nico Williams, or very close to it, I don’t think him staying is worth it to either party.

If he stays and fights for his place, this time next season he’ll be getting as many minutes as Eddie and Reiss are getting right now, and they’re considered relatively “established”.

Like someone said quite a few posts above, we are now at a level where the gap between our Academy players and our Starting 11 is no longer close it’s cavernous. We’re becoming a big boy side again. We need big boys not hopefuls. Nwaneri and Co. seem like potential big boys. They don’t look and play like hopefuls.
I think if he's smart, at this stage he looks to take a move but I hope he doesn't join Newcastle :lol:. I do think he'll go onto be a top player personally, just see something there with him.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Is cozier-dubery better than Omari Hutchison?
Hard to say. But he has better goal scoring this season in the reserve than Hutchinson had last season and he year and half younger. If we bought Hutchinson now based on his Ipswich performance and he was never an answer player. There would be hype about him

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
In terms of ceiling it is debatable but Hutchinson has serious technical ability and has now been an integral part of a promoted Championship squad. Nothing to sniff at at all. Cozier-Duberry for now is an unknown by comparison.
Hutchinson seems to take an age on the ball. He won’t get that sort of time at the highest level. He does have a decent shot on him when he has time to line it up.

Cozier Duberry has more variation in his attacking instincts both on and off the ball. A much better talent.

Arsenal Quotes

It is well known the referees are protected very well like the lions in the zoo so we have to live with their decisions

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]
Top Bottom