• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CS: Arsenal vs Chelsea | 07/08/05

A

Anonymous

Lehman 5

Could have dealt better with second goal. Let's hope we have a gem in Viera!

Lauren 7

He's still got it!

Sendores 2

Future Mr. Arsenal? No chance with this kind of performance!

Toure 7

Sendores made him look like a wall.

Ljundberg 8

He gives his heart when he plays.

Flamini 7

All over the place!

Cesc 8

He's definately gonna play a part in that MF of ours!

Pires 7

Mr. Reliable.

Bergkamp 5

No Comment. Clearly not himself.

Henry 6

Had a bad day for his standards.

Subs:

Hleb 8

First time I've seen him - looks very exciting

Hoyte 7

Made a good challenge - looks nervous though!

Cygan 4

This man is a dim wit - he was suppose to flick on to Henry from the free kick!

Reyes 6

Why does he always try to pass players?

RvP 7

Nothing special from Him Today.

Gilberto 7.5

He is gonna be important for us this season!

Arsenal Star Man - Cesc!

gstew

We were the better team, but we had some awful performances from a few players (and Cygan was not one of them...he was average). Senderos has played terribly all preseason and I am concerned. I am not really worried about the physical, he just seems a couple of steps slow mentally. The mistake on the first goal was so strange. It was as if he had no depth perception and wasn't sure if he was going to be anywhere near the crossed ball if he went for it. Maybe it isn't mental and he just needs contacts or lasik surgery. Ashley Cole was the worst player on the field both on the ball and off of it. We were extremely fortunate to only stay 2-1 down as he played Crespo onside by two yards while everyone else kep their line. The linesman completely missed the call and raised his flag. He played them on two other times, lost possession, was passive and was completely out of position on numerous occasions. Of course, this thread has seen numerous Cygan bashings and the worst player on the pitch gets off relatively unscathed. Cygan's worst play by far was the missed touch on the RVP free kick as Henry was wide open. Shame, as it was a well designed play.

Cesc was magnificent. Those criticizing Gilberto should join Senderos at the opthamologist....he was the best he has ever been. Toure was also outstanding. Flamini is a squad player, and it shows. Bergkamp and Pires were insignificant. RVP needs to step it up, as he was average. Henry was marked by two to three players wherever he was and turned playmaker because of it. I thought that he played it exactly right. We should have taken many more shots at the edge of the box. Drogba's second was obviously offside. Luckily it was preseason...otherwise I would be angry at the refs. Anyway, Crespo would have easily scored if they hadn't missed the other call so badly. So it evens out. Lauren looked pretty good. I thought Lehmann played very well and commanded the box like he should.

Makelele, Gallas and Drogba were all excellent. Gallas marked Henry very well all over the field. Makelele was outstanding (except for getting caught in possession by Toure in midfield and almost leading to a Toure goal). I think that we are so critical of Drogba because of his transfer fee. He really showed his attributes today and I, for one, think that he is a top striker.

Today's game was indicative of the two sides. We play better football and will be the better team if we have our best players available (Campbell and Gilberto especially) and keep our mistakes to a minimum. Chelsea are very good, very steady and very deep. It is up to us, not them.

adrianz

from the way Chelsea play their game, it show that they are wary of us. No doubt defense is their pirority, but it;s just pity to see a champion with loads of money and offensive players play the way they do.

But on the other hand Arsenal is still too naive to expose the weakness of our CB went going all out attack. Senderos is never a fast player so he should be protected. Lehmann have been playing well consider the cover he had for most of the game. Fabregas is another revelation for the season, it show he had grow not only as a player but how many in the PL can boast of squaring off with Makelele and winning Lampard one on one.

Not too worry with the performance of the rest as Hleb is still apdating, Flamini is showing some light, Pires still wondering, Bergkamp saving his best and Henry not running much.

But still we are not to be overlook when the season start, only wish that we stay injury free.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Lehman 5, Lauren 6, Sendoros 4, Toure 6, Cole 5, Ljungberg 7, Flamini 7, Cesc 8, Pires 7, Bergkamp 6, Henry 7, Hleb 6, Hoyte 7, Cygan 5 , Reyes 6, RvP 7, Gilberto 7

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Ian_Wright said:
Lehman 5

Lauren 7

He's still got it!

Sendores 2

Toure 7

Ljundberg 8

Flamini 7

All over the place!

Cesc 8

Pires 7

Mr. Reliable.

Bergkamp 5

Henry 6

Subs:

Hleb 8

Hoyte 7

Cygan 4

Reyes 6

RvP 7

Gilberto 7.5

Arsenal Star Man - Cesc!

i think you are a tad off on a couple...

1) where is Cole?

2) Pires 7?? Mr. Reliable?? he did absolutely nothing today...

3) Hoyte 7? but you gave Reyes a 6.. oooooooook... same with RvP...

Cesc gets a 9, Gilberto deserves higher other than his shooting...

and if you are going to do a player rating post, please get the names spelled correctly.. it's SENDEROS, not sendores.. its LJUNGBERG, not ljundberg... it's LEHMANN, not lehman...

and you call the mods annoying?

Arsenal316

Meh, I don't think losing the Community Shield is that BIG a deal. It was a good warm-up for the start of the regular season.

As long as we win from this point forward, all will be forgiven. :p

KingReyes

Established Member
I thought we showed a lot of quality out there today. Our passing was rather sharp and we kept possession well. Chelsea got an early goal and they went defensive after that, its not like their goals came from build up play or anything like that. Two long balls, two goals. our defending will need to improve and I feel it will improve. If we can handle the counter attack of opposing teams and win the balls in the air we'll be solid defensively.

Senderos has just come back into the side now after an extended holiday. Lets not get on his case after two games. I remember he looked rather shaky when he first made his debut but he got better with more games and hopefully its the same case now.

Gilberto and Cesc looked good together, especially Cesc and his runs through the middle. We've got some good options in attack as you could see with Hleb and Reyes coming on as subs, all need to do is finish of our moves.

Overall I'm rather pleased with the display, I got a lot of optimism from this game, we were good with the ball at our feet and showed a lot of fight after being 2-0 down.

Keep the faith

A

Anonymous

USArsenal said:
Ian_Wright said:
Lehman 5

Lauren 7

He's still got it!

Sendores 2

Toure 7

Ljundberg 8

Flamini 7

All over the place!

Cesc 8

Pires 7

Mr. Reliable.

Bergkamp 5

Henry 6

Subs:

Hleb 8

Hoyte 7

Cygan 4

Reyes 6

RvP 7

Gilberto 7.5

Arsenal Star Man - Cesc!

i think you are a tad off on a couple...

1) where is Cole?

2) Pires 7?? Mr. Reliable?? he did absolutely nothing today...

3) Hoyte 7? but you gave Reyes a 6.. oooooooook... same with RvP...

Cesc gets a 9, Gilberto deserves higher other than his shooting...

and if you are going to do a player rating post, please get the names spelled correctly.. it's SENDEROS, not sendores.. its LJUNGBERG, not ljundberg... it's LEHMANN, not lehman...

and you call the mods annoying?

Answers:

1) I don't know, it was hard to notice him on the pitch

2) Pires was steady

3) According to potential/experience, RvP and Reyes can do MUCH better

I agree, I'll bump Cesc to a nine, young fella did quite well! 9 deserved!

Gilberto was good, but again, his potential is better, once he improves his finishing - he will get an 8

My comment about the MODS - please disregard - (sorry jim - but you did get it wrong when you locked my post, and not the other one)

kel varnsen

Established Member
people need to chill out. it was a friendly and most of our players are tired after the pre season training. it was a good work out, nothing more. don't read too much into this game. i think we will hammer newcastle next week.

one example:
in the 2nd half, you could see that cole really didn't care that much. he looked a bit tired and was caught out of position. does that mean cole is all off a sudden a useless defener? of course not, it just means it was a friendly!

clockwork orange

adrianz said:
from the way Chelsea play their game, it show that they are wary of us.

The chavs may be wary of us, but you can't conclude that from the way they played today. Mourinho plays a percentages game, so the moment they are 1 goal up, they play on the break.

patrick42uk

Established Member
it would be great if before the end of the window senderos and flamini are forced down the pecking order i.e two big signings at cb and cm. if we have to rely on both for long periods, i think we will suffer. last year i thought senderos looked dodgy, but everyone reckoned our defensive record was down to him. he's good, dont get me wrong, but he cannot be the defenisve lynchpin we need over the course of a season.

AxlGunners

I would say Bergkamp played better than RVP. Gilberto was fantastic, and i take heart from this match. Let Wenger give new instructions, (e.g. Henry higher up the field and need the team in general have to play with more width). But we kept the ball wonderfully today, and came out of most 50/50's on top. We didnt seem to lack Vieira in the centre, but our problems were more individual mistakes, and lack of penetration.
John Terry was awesome today, without him we would have broken thru chelsea a few times

AxlGunners

I would say Bergkamp played better than RVP. Gilberto was fantastic, and i take heart from this match. Let Wenger give new instructions, (e.g. Henry higher up the field and need the team in general have to play with more width). But we kept the ball wonderfully today, and came out of most 50/50's on top. We didnt seem to lack Vieira in the centre, but our problems were more individual mistakes, and lack of penetration.
John Terry was awesome today, without him we would have broken thru chelsea a few times

kel varnsen

Established Member
thegame24 said:
we were piss poor.

Cant attack for s**t and cant defend for s**t.

WE NEED new players NOW

oh, shut up...

if we were piss poor, then chelsea were a dung dog sh*te. we controlled the game, but couldn't open up their defense. why? inaccurate passing which in turn is caused by the tough pre season training. this will improve rapidly in the coming weeks. i am confident we can win the league this year, but we could use a new central defender and maybe a forward or a midfielder...

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I just pray that the defence isn't the difference between winning the title and not winning it again this season. Lets face it: thats where Chelsea have the edge.

clockwork orange

Ian_Wright said:
Gilberto was good, but again, his potential is better, once he improves his finishing - he will get an 8
There's something else about Gilberto's performance today, he made the same mistake as Guti often makes, he is a supportive player and shouldn't try Zidane passes. KISS (Keep It Stupidly Simple) for Gilberto and he is worldclass.

las

Senderos has just come back into the side now after an extended holiday. Lets not get on his case after two games. I remember he looked rather shaky when he first made his debut but he got better with more games and hopefully its the same case now.

totally agrre with you king reyes,we know senderos can, just give him some more time. :wink:

adrianz

Lehmann 6
Lauren 6 Toure 7 Senderos 5 Cole 6 sub: Hoyte 5 Cygan 6
The way we push up the defense and let them come at us on the counter are just suicidal with the pace of Cygan and Senderos so they are not that bad as they are really.
Ljungberg 7 Flamini 6 Fabregas 8 Pires 5 sub: Reyes 6 Helb 6 Gilberto 6
Fabregas and Ljunberg is outstanding
Bergkamp 5 Henry 7 Persie 6

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom