• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
They weren’t the whole dressing room?

He didn’t come in and bin 25 players.
Not all at once tbf but I think he did bin 20+ players.

Completely different situations and tbh ignoring Artetas ability to sell the Kroenkes dreams would be leaving out his biggest strength. Put Arteta in most of the jobs Emery had in the past and he gets fired within three months, but Emery with his 2018 English and teeth never gets the keys to the kingdom.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Weren’t the players openly mocking Emery’s accent?

As bad as it was under Arteta you always felt like he had the players under mind control apart from Aubameyang and Özil.
From what I remember, Ljungberg was quite scathing on the attitude of some of the players. In general, it is fair to say that the dressing room needed sorting. The board backed Arteta through that process, and the club is better for it.

I think taking over after Wenger would have been difficult for anyone. You saw the same at Man United. It is not easy to come in after a manager that has basically run the entire club for 20 years. In that perspective, it is probably not so strange that Emery couldn't be successful at Arsenal.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Maybe because Özil told him 'You are not a coach' during the EL final. He looked pretty weak when he said 'I've asked Mesut I hope he can be available to us' in that press conferance. As for the players being ****, it was as much the poor attitudes of the players. Özil thought he could show up when he wanted and Guenduzzi, Torreira and Auba had immature unprofessional attitudes. Few of the squad had the technical skill to play Arteta's tica taca.

And then we went on to concede 28 shots on goal to Watford of all teams and there were many other games were similar the season he got sacked. That team was in dissaray close to where Chelsea are today

Also in the first season Arteta did improve our position from the 12th place we were when he took over.
He didn't improve our position this is the first season where we'll finish ahead of Emery's seasons can't count where he was gone half way through.

My point is fans turned on Emery when he tried to get rid of guys like Özil but backed Arteta completely when he exiled Özil and Aubameang. Emery never got a fair shake when things went bad while Arteta got so much leeway.

My initial point is that squad of players really weren't better than 5/6th place finished it was full of mediocre players and players that didn't put enough effort in it's why Wenger, Emery and Arteta couldn't get into the CL with them and Arteta had to do an overhaul and pay players off.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Yeah a lot of the stumbling blocks Emery and Arteta had were similar.

I argued with Pump for years when he said football is a bit of a popularity contest at times but he was right.

One was awarded time and a complete overhaul one wasn’t and people can dress it up however they like.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Freddie lambasted the attitude of elements of the squad. Unai basically got bullied around by a couple of players. There may have been good football talent in the dressing room but there were clearly issues.

I like Unai, good manager and nice guy but I'm unsure he'd have had the character to bin the trouble makers and egos off, maybe he would if he'd been backed the way Arteta was, we'll never know.

I think what's clear is after Unai the board decided to give the new manager full backing to weed out the troublemakers and change the attitude around the club.

GDeep™

League is very weak
People talking about a “poisonous dressing” room, but let’s not forget his team were excellent for 85% of the season, should’ve got top 4, and went to a European Final with Unai.

The wheels came off at the end and Unai never recovered.
Add on to this the summer before he got sacked he was sitting in a press conference crying about the club having no money and him not getting the players he wanted.

Arteta has come in and spent 450M, and taken 3 years to get CL football.

You’re only as good as your backing really.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Also under Wenger the expectations were still CL qualification which is why he was probably moved on.

That 2019/20 season was a shock to the system and in the next few years under Arteta I’d imagine the club probably looked at it and realised how old and poor our squad actually was and it needed a complete overhaul.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
No matter what you think of them as players, in 18/19 we still had Kos/Ramsey/Nacho playing for us...then all were gone by next season.

None were top level leaders like Adams or Vieira, but you can tell they carried the dressing room well if nothing else... without those players, things were always gonna hit the skids with Emery...added to the fact the board never really believed in Unai and all the problems Özil was probably causing too, just a bad time for all really.

Once Emery fell out with Xhaka over the Palace/captaincy incident, he was basically already dead here...Arteta getting Granit on board so quickly put him in very good stead, as Xhaka is our most vocal player.

Very good manage though, just wasn't meant to be for him here.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Freddie lambasted the attitude of elements of the squad. Unai basically got bullied around by a couple of players. There may have been good football talent in the dressing room but there were clearly issues.

I like Unai, good manager and nice guy but I'm unsure he'd have had the character to bin the trouble makers and egos off, maybe he would if he'd been backed the way Arteta was, we'll never know.

I think what's clear is after Unai the board decided to give the new manager full backing to weed out the troublemakers and change the attitude around the club.

Arteta’s authority only came off cause he had the correct backing though.

Emery said Elneny and Mustafi were better off elsewhere, did they listen? No.
Same with Özil.

Don’t really buy the bullying thing there was leaks left right and centre coming from the club until Arteta vowed to destroy the source.

say yes

forum master baiter
I don't really get the whole lost the dressing room thing, surely Arteta lost the dressing room too since we were poor under him with those same players. It wasn't until he got rid of them and bought better players we could perform.

Wenger, Emery and Arteta all had the same issues with that squad of players, I was telling everyone for years those players were sh*t but I got labeled a troll and negative but now people can see the vision.
Nah, the dressing room loved Arteta even when the results were terrible.

There was no lack of effort, and the players kept heaping praise on him in public. Used to drive his detractors on here mad.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
i'm really interested to see how he'll do next season the thing with Emery when his juice run out it'll be painful to watch. but the leap he done with Villa been amazing even if he miss europe it'll be great achievement.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

i'm really interested to see how he'll do next season the thing with Emery when his juice run out it'll be painful to watch. but the leap he done with Villa been amazing even if he miss europe it'll be great achievement.

Atleast he have some juice unlike your king Teta.

Tom Mix

Emery was a decent man who was undermined from within and suffered from his lack of English. Arteta is a committed guy who is trying to improve the squad and make us competitive. They both had/have ther faults but they both deserved/deserve to be backed.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Not all at once tbf but I think he did bin 20+ players.

Completely different situations and tbh ignoring Artetas ability to sell the Kroenkes dreams would be leaving out his biggest strength. Put Arteta in most of the jobs Emery had in the past and he gets fired within three months, but Emery with his 2018 English and teeth never gets the keys to the kingdom.
He would not of botched it 2 years in a row with same pub league defender. He is a top manager. Not a proven bottler but a closer

Arsenal Quotes

I think without doubt that Bergkamp is the most talented player to have played for Arsenal in the past 30 years, for as long as I can remember

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom