• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Winning Mentality

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Interestingly reading the thread responses above from 13 years ago, it does seem like Arteta is a lot closer to Wenger than we realise in terms of his squad management.

The issues the fanbase felt were a problem then (repeatedly playing the same 11 all season) seem to be the same things we are discussing now

Tom Mix

Interestingly reading the thread responses above from 13 years ago, it does seem like Arteta is a lot closer to Wenger than we realise in terms of his squad management.

The issues the fanbase felt were a problem then (repeatedly playing the same 11 all season) seem to be the same things we are discussing now
It's the same problem - lack of strength in depth. I have to say we are much closer to having it now than we were then. Some of the players in our first XI then would (rightly) not get into our squad now.

TonyBouldy

Unfortunately we don’t have a winning mentality. We don’t have enough players to lead on the pitch and to show urgency when it’s needed . Villa game being just one case .

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Unfortunately we don’t have a winning mentality. We don’t have enough players to lead on the pitch and to show urgency when it’s needed . Villa game being just one case .

Imagine losing one game in four months and acting like this.. We took four points from Liverpool and City, are two points behind first place but sure, we don't have leaders and urgency when it matters.

What about the leaders and urgency at Liverpool when they lost to Palace?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
This is pretty much the only thing we are missing really, sadly it's the hardest thing to get.

We have a very good team, a hungry manager and the owner is backing the club...everything else is there, but this group seemingly just panic in those crucial moments near the end of the season every time.

But the longer we go without winning something to give us that confidence, the harder it will be.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I don’t really believe in winning mentality in pro sport.

In normal life for us yes but if you’re a CL level footballer you’ve beaten out thousands of competitors just to get into an academy let alone the pinnacle of the game.

I think experience of winning is a thing and smart teams do certain things well like rotational fouling or influencing the ref but mentality I think is a buzzword.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I don’t really believe in winning mentality in pro sport.

In normal life for us yes but if you’re a CL level footballer you’ve beaten out thousands of competitors just to get into an academy let alone the pinnacle of the game.

I think experience of winning is a thing and smart teams do certain things well like rotational fouling or influencing the ref but mentality I think is a buzzword.

In my experience "winning mentality" is just a weird way of saying.. well, experience.

When you've been in a situation before, you feel more comfortable when you get there again. It's not unique to sports at all and anyone who has ever given a presentation, worked under high pressure or something similar would agree that experience makes a big difference.

That being said, I also think it's somewhat overstated in football. As you said with elite athletes, these guys come up through high pressure environments their entire life and are inherently hardened by those experiences.

I do think it matters a bit more in CL type environments where the occasion can overwhelm you. Bit like showing up to a school exam, you can be the most prepped person in the world but once you're the one in focus and it's all on the line, some people just can't deal with it.

TonyBouldy

Imagine losing one game in four months and acting like this.. We took four points from Liverpool and City, are two points behind first place but sure, we don't have leaders and urgency when it matters.

What about the leaders and urgency at Liverpool when they lost to Palace?
😂😂
Brilliant
Sorry to say we don’t have a winning mentality.
And we won’t have with clowns like Martinelli . Two games , two defeats and two goals down to him through bad defensive understanding.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Doesn't exist at our club because sadly since 2005 the club surrounded themselves with so many young players selling best players every season it created fear to compete against teams better than them. Even with Arteta best effort it's still here we still afraid to face big teams

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mentality comes from the belief you can do it as well as of course actually doing it. You can't just click your fingers and you've got winning mentality. It's comes from achievement as well as belief in the abilities to do it. This isn't necessarily a trophy but you need landmark moments which will help with the belief.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Don’t think it’s a mentality issue. The players simply aren’t good enough. Mikel himself also comes short at key times of the season.

It’s no coincidence the last Arsenal team to win a trophy wasn’t any of these guys.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Winning mentality means nothing to elite sports players. As Pep has said, he had to lose first to win, same with Klopp as well recently.

Look at the other sporting greats, Federer, Tiger, Mayweather, Luke Littler, Khabib. All these guys lost to win.

Reactions: A_G

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
In my experience "winning mentality" is just a weird way of saying.. well, experience.

When you've been in a situation before, you feel more comfortable when you get there again. It's not unique to sports at all and anyone who has ever given a presentation, worked under high pressure or something similar would agree that experience makes a big difference.

That being said, I also think it's somewhat overstated in football. As you said with elite athletes, these guys come up through high pressure environments their entire life and are inherently hardened by those experiences.

I do think it matters a bit more in CL type environments where the occasion can overwhelm you. Bit like showing up to a school exam, you can be the most prepped person in the world but once you're the one in focus and it's all on the line, some people just can't deal with it.

Thing is even experience can be a buzzword

During all those CL wins for Real Madrid everyone was guffing about their experience of winning, but they were also routinely beating out teams that also had experience of winning. Teams like Barca/Bayern/AC Milan etc. have had crazy teams over the years and it was always the quality of the teams that gave you a chance of winning things like the CL, the experience comes with the quality IMO.

There's a reason quality of player is the deciding factor of value (along with contract length) over experience - or at the very least experience is less important than quality.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom