• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL William Saliba (Loan)

Are you satisfied with how the Saliba situation has been handled?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
What if Saliba just didn't want to go to a Prem club, that could be a big reason why he is going back to France.
Why would he not? Give me a few genuine reasons why a player signed for a PL club to play in England but doesn't want to play in England?

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
The more I think about it, the more I want Mertsacker to be fired ASAP. This whole loan strategy for youth players that we are pursuing is straight out of Chelsea and people in our club seemed to have missed how disastrous that strategy has been for them. Loans are a terrible way to develop youngsters, it's extremely difficult to expect raw youngsters to adapt and contribute to clubs in swamp leagues for a short time. Think of how common it is for big money signings to struggle in their first season in a club, why would it be any different for youngsters with probably less talent? This whole strategy of constantly sending Saliba out on loan makes me think the coaches in our club are stealing their living and not able to coach a young defender properly, and that is disturbing.
Saliba's situation is 100% down to that animated Lego figure who manages us. Per might be the only competent person at the club. One of the most ludicrous posts I've read in some time.

TimoJens

Formerly known as highbury_2006
Saliba want to play in Premier League. For Arsenal. Since Arsenals manager refuse to give him a chance at Arsenal he prefer to stay in his own country. Simple.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Why would he not? Give me a few genuine reasons why a player signed for a PL club to play in England but doesn't want to play in England?

Maybe he doesn't want to do the hard yards at a team like Palace, when he can play in an easier league...none of us know what Saliba is thinking.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Saliba's is done with how this club has treated him and decided that his future is not at Arsenal, and given the choice of OM (if it was indeed his own), not in English football at all. That's my takeaway. Not because of weak mentality imo, but rather because of being mistreated to the point of no return and he's just fed up with it. Why should he take a loan in PL if he's not coming back to England? He'll go down the same way as Guendouzi - we'll have no leverage because everyone will know he's done here. Appalling by the club. Don't care at all about "not his signing". Arteta, but even more so Edu has a ****ing responsibility to manage the club's assets in the best way possible. That's clearly not been done with a lot of the youngsters since he/they came in and for most of them their value has been depreciating by the day. Apart from Saka, ESR and Martinelli I'd say Willock is the odd one out in that regard, but he outperformed his xG by crazy levels and won't come close to that goalscoring form ever again so it's more hype than anything right now, in terms of value.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Maybe he doesn't want to do the hard yards at a team like Palace, when he can play in an easier league...none of us know what Saliba is thinking.
A professional football doesn't sign for Arsenal and agree to come to the PL if he doesn't want to do the hard yards.

I think Marsielle have been in negotiating for Guendozui, asked about Saliba and Arteta and Edu have said do you fancy this and we will organise it. He has said yes and it's been done. Easy way of getting rid of him.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I'd imagine unless your moving to a side in the European places in England then Marseille are probably seen as a bigger move to a French person. They may not be competing in Europe at the moment but they're still a huge club.

Riou

How has Saliba actually been performing in France anyway?

Don't want any stats/graphs posted in response to this, just people that have watched him saying if he has been good or bad...as I saw this...

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I'd imagine unless your moving to a side in the European places in England then Marseille are probably seen as a bigger move to a French person. They may not be competing in Europe at the moment but they're still a huge club.
Playing in the PL for one of the bottom 10 clubs pisses over playing for the 5th/6th/7th best team in France in an inferior league.

I honestly don't know why people can't see how this is going after seeing exactly the same thing happen with Guendouzi.

Had a problem with the manager. Shipped on loan away from England out of the road. No form of trying to resolve it. Sent now on loan to France with an obligation to buy.

Saliba being sent to the same club on loan. Probably next to no loan fee. We will probably foot his wages or some of them.

Marseille maybe qualify for Europe or the CL and then buy him. The narrative goes down that we couldn't guarantee him minutes and therefore its better for all parties to sell with 2 years left on his deal.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
How has Saliba actually been performing in France anyway?

Don't want any stats/graphs posted in response to this, just people that have watched him, saying if he has been good or bad...as I saw this...
He was one of the nominees for Ligue 1 Defender of the Season despite only being there since January.

Don't understand the second tweet either, claiming people aren't watching Saliba but he's getting his opinions from YouTube highlights? The only people who criticise Saliba are people who vociferously back the manager.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He'll come back, he's probably just going to the store to get cigarettes like my father. Whether it's 1 year or 20 years, I'm sure he'll be back. Otherwise we'll have to find some coping mechanism like I did in the form of booze and hookers.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Playing in the PL for one of the bottom 10 clubs pisses over playing for the 5th/6th/7th best team in France in an inferior league.

I honestly don't know why people can't see how this is going after seeing exactly the same thing happen with Guendouzi.

Had a problem with the manager. Shipped on loan away from England out of the road. No form of trying to resolve it. Sent now on loan to France with an obligation to buy.

Saliba being sent to the same club on loan. Probably next to no loan fee. We will probably foot his wages or some of them.

Marseille maybe qualify for Europe or the CL and then buy him. The narrative goes down that we couldn't guarantee him minutes and therefore its better for all parties to sell with 2 years left on his deal.

To you and lots of others I can understand that. But this lad is French and Marseille are probably the biggest side in France historically. It makes sense that a French person would rather play for Marseille than say Newcastle to me.

I'm upset by it too. I've wanted to see him play some matches for us since we signed him but what can we do? Unless Arteta goes I personally can't see that happening at this point.

Riou

He was one of the nominees for Ligue 1 Defender of the Season despite only being there since January.

I don't know how he has played over there, so trying to gauge what level he is at...mainly looking for people who have watched him, as awards can be skewed (especially if fan voted) and have seen him play over a handful of full games.

Though thinking about it, I suppose it's pointless really...there are too many agendas at play with this guy, to get a fair analysis at this point...those who back Arteta, will say he has been poor...while those who dislike Mikel, will say he has been good.

Last edited:
Reactions: A_G

Camus

Trusted ⭐
So basically Saliba is finished at this club. The scenarios as I see it

1) And this is the most likely one imo. Arteta for some inexplicable reason hates Saliba and doesn't want him. These loan moves are attempts to put him in the shop window and get him sold to recoup some of his transfer fee but also to get him away from the club as he doesn't want him around since he knows he wont play him and this clearly going to cause a issue internally in the group and also externally with fans.

2) Arsenal and Arteta are just huge ****ing ****** and are totally mismanaging Saliba to the extent that when he does come back from his loan he'll only have two years left and even if they club wanted to keep him it's massively unlikely he'd sign a new contract. He push for a move and he'd be in the driving seat given his contract situation.

Only way to disprove both these scenarios as far as I can see is either to not send him out on loan and instead actual play him, or if you do send him out on loan then offer him a contract extension if you are serious about him being part of the long term plans of the clubs.

I honestly don't see why he can't be part of our 4 main CBs along with Gabriel, Holding and Ben White :)facepalm:) and instead relegate Mari to a bit part role. The absolute refusal to even give the lad a chance is the clearest evidence for me that he's not wanted by Arteta at all.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Might think playing for the OM manager will be better for his progress, doesn’t like the projects offered by the PL clubs. Might want to be closer to friends and family, and used to a culture he knows then go to Newcastle and be alone.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
In his first year he finished 8th and lost to Olympiakos early in the EL.
It was half a season and he won the FA CUP against better teams.
Second year finished 8th and lost against the first decent team we played in the EL.
Yes due to a disaster start in likely the strangest season ever which he turned round after xmas. Lost to the EL winners in the semi. It was hardly a spursy crash from the EL to Zargreb.
You say why should Arteta get 4th when he doesn't have a top 4 squad.

Lille won the league. Did they have the best squad?
No but although it happens now and again these situations are normally outliers. The best squads normally finish at the top. French league is poor. Poch after over achieving largely at Sp**s underachieved at PSG. We know however the power in the dressing room at that club is hard to handle for any manager.
Chelsea won the CL? Do they have the best squad in Europe? They certainly didn't with Lampard.
They certainly have a miles better squad than us, Its easily one of the best in Europe dont think lampard lost a game in the tournament?
They sacked him because after giving him loads of money it looked like he would struggle to get top 4. a top manager who was German became available so It was a great fit for them,

West Ham finished higher than us. Better squad?
Well i think they have bought very well and have better players than many think. They certainly have more players playing in the Euros than us.
I think it was a freakish season though and they overachieved, It can happen especially when 'bigger teams' are in transition as we are. Its rather like when leicester won the league. It was the perfect storm all the current top 4 were in transition.
I will also bet hard cash they are not higher that us next season. Would you like the bet? :p
Atletico Madrid won la liga. Better squad than the big 2?
No and tbf Simeone has punched above his weight for sometime and looks like a top manager.
He has been allowed to do his job through stability and instigating a way of playing that the whole squad must buy into which is why he has been successful. Real & Barca the big 2 insist on the big names and are expected to play a certain way & again look like clubs in transition so he seized the moment. Athleti have been loyal to him & given him backing this wasnt an overnight success, In return he has remained loyal to them
Villareal beat us and then United to win the EL. Better squad?
Nah Unai is just a maestro in that comp (unless when hes here). Its a bit like saying when under arteta we beat Chelsea & Man City to win the Fa Cup. Better Squad?
Every year managers and teams achieve more than their squads worth.
Yes and every year most managers & teams do not.
Its easy to sack a manager but who are these nailed on success guaranteed managers that are gonna come in and overachieve with our squad?
3 of the best managers in the World are already here at top 4 clubs.

Everton and Sp**s both have aspirations for top 4/6 and they have recently changed managers.
Sp**s have been above us for a number of years now, Have a shiny new stadium & a few years ago made a champs league final.

After a long search They have managed to bring in Nuno.

Everton have an ambitious owner with money to spend and a decent squad, They have turned to Rafa.
They are both decent managers but im not sure they are gonna crack the top 4. IMO they will likely be competing for 5 to 8 where we stand.
Perhaps they will, Nuno probably overachieved at Wolves recently and Many thought Rafa did at Newcastle. They both are known for negative football.

So maybe we should sack Arteta and bring in one of these 'overachieving Managers' that are so easy to find. The one that will stroll into a poor squad and guarantee success and top 4 in the hardest league on the planet.
Pep, Klopp or Tuchel may be good shouts. Mmn that may be a problem?

Lets be honest after scouring the planet for these people, 2 clubs with similar ambitions to us Sp**s and Everton have come up with a couple of Pl retreads. Should we perhaps give David Moyes a call and see if he can be lured away from the Hammers?

Last edited:

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
The more I think about it, the more I want Mertsacker to be fired ASAP. This whole loan strategy for youth players that we are pursuing is straight out of Chelsea and people in our club seemed to have missed how disastrous that strategy has been for them. Loans are a terrible way to develop youngsters, it's extremely difficult to expect raw youngsters to adapt and contribute to clubs in swamp leagues for a short time. Think of how common it is for big money signings to struggle in their first season in a club, why would it be any different for youngsters with probably less talent? This whole strategy of constantly sending Saliba out on loan makes me think the coaches in our club are stealing their living and not able to coach a young defender properly, and that is disturbing.

Let's not blame Saliba on Merts. I have no idea how competent Merts is, but I know Saliba's situation is all Arteta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 27

Arsenal are considering a loan move for Barcelona striker Victor Roque [Sport]

Wolves, Aston Villa, Everton and Crystal Palace are in the race to sign Emile Smith Rowe [TeamTalk]

Fabio Vieira could leave the club if the club receives a “good proposal” [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal, Man Utd and PSG are the favourites to land 18 year old attacker Désiré Doué. Rennes want €40m after turning down half that from Leverkusen in January. [RMC]

Latest posts

Top Bottom