• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Declan Rice: Cooking Again

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Played City 3 times since joining, 2 wins, 1 draw. City has scored 1 goal across 3 games.

Last two games before he joined you lost to a combined goalscore of 2-7.

Genuinely surprised just how big his impact defensively has been, he's a one man army in that midfield on the defensive end.
You know this better than I do but from what I had seen of him playing City last season in obviously a far weaker West Ham side, he seemed to cause them problems in the midfield on his own so I assumed that would translate well to joining a side nearer to City's quality personnel wise but I am still surprised by how effective he's been immediately in these fixtures. KDB never looked like doing anything yesterday other than when he sent Partey to the shops. The word Pep kept using over and over again in his initial post match interview when referring to us was physicality and Rice is really the poster boy for that.

SteveEvets

Great defensively again but very limited footballer in possession. Doesn't matter how much fans and pundits try to portray things but this negatively affects our game.
This is nit picking. Just using City as a benchmark last seasons aggregate across 3 matches was City 8 - Arsenal 2. This season across 3 matches its been Arsenal 2 - City 1. Note we scored the same amount against them, despite the "negative effect" of Rice. The difference between getting nothing last season and 4 points and a trophy this season has been defensive improvement, and a huge part of that has been Rice. You don't win the big boy trophies in this game if you don't have players like him. As long as he, Saliba and Gabriel stay fit, we've got a chance against anyone.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
You know this better than I do but from what I had seen of him playing City last season in obviously a far weaker West Ham side, he seemed to cause them problems in the midfield on his own so I assumed that would translate well to joining a side nearer to City's quality personnel wise but I am still surprised by how effective he's been immediately in these fixtures. KDB never looked like doing anything yesterday other than when he sent Partey to the shops. The word Pep kept using over and over again in his initial post match interview when referring to us was physicality and Rice is really the poster boy for that.

Yeah I've said for a while now that he's probably the best off-ball player in football right now but people keep twisting that (or used to, more people see it now) into different things. Like genuinely, name me a better midfielder in terms of covering a defense, stopping transitions, winning the ball etc? I can't, and I haven't been able to for years. Now he's even showing that aspect of his game at the other end as well, constantly making superb movements to find space inside the box etc.

Obviously the badge plays a big part here in perception and I'm happy to see him finally get the plaudits he deserves, but it was so frustrating for me to watch him for years do this stuff and all everyone would talk about was how overrated he was.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yeah I've said for a while now that he's probably the best off-ball player in football right now but people keep twisting that (or used to, more people see it now) into different things. Like genuinely, name me a better midfielder in terms of covering a defense, stopping transitions, winning the ball etc? I can't, and I haven't been able to for years.

Obviously the badge plays a big part here in perception and I'm happy to see him finally get the plaudits he deserves, but it was so frustrating for me to watch him for years do this stuff and all everyone would talk about was how overrated he was.

You’re spot on. He’s the best at this since Kante, a player who a lot of Arsenal fans use as a stick to beat Wenger/the club with (for going with Xhaka, a deep playing playmaker at the time, over him).

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
You’re spot on. He’s the best at this since Kante, a player who a lot of Arsenal fans use as a stick to beat Wenger/the club with (for going with Xhaka, a deep playing playmaker at the time, over him).

Kante is a great comparison tbh. It's not a coincidence that guy won everything in football.

Genuine shout for the most underrated player in the history of football, dead serious. Won the league with ****ing Leicester, then Chelsea + CL and won the world cup, playing a pivotal role in all of it.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Kante is a great comparison tbh. It's not a coincidence that guy won everything in football.

Genuine shout for the most underrated player in the history of football, dead serious. Won the league with ****ing Leicester, then Chelsea + CL and won the world cup, playing a pivotal role in all of it.

Agreed, he’s got a massive shout for being in the PL all time 11.

His season at Leicester was the best individual season by a midfielder in PL history for me.

Batman

Yeah I've said for a while now that he's probably the best off-ball player in football right now but people keep twisting that (or used to, more people see it now) into different things. Like genuinely, name me a better midfielder in terms of covering a defense, stopping transitions, winning the ball etc? I can't, and I haven't been able to for years. Now he's even showing that aspect of his game at the other end as well, constantly making superb movements to find space inside the box etc.

Yeah agreed. Nobody in the world breaks up play better than he does right now. He's right on par with Rodri for the best holding midfielder on earth with Rodri probably being a bit more advanced with the ball and Declan the better player without it.

GoonerJay24

This is nit picking. Just using City as a benchmark last seasons aggregate across 3 matches was City 8 - Arsenal 2. This season across 3 matches its been Arsenal 2 - City 1. Note we scored the same amount against them, despite the "negative effect" of Rice. The difference between getting nothing last season and 4 points and a trophy this season has been defensive improvement, and a huge part of that has been Rice. You don't win the big boy trophies in this game if you don't have players like him. As long as he, Saliba and Gabriel stay fit, we've got a chance against anyone.

Not nitpicking, critically analyzing his individual performances. But most of you seem too brainwashed by the English media or only see what you want, so there's no point in debating. We haven't won any trophies yet, and this City side isn't on the same level as last season, they're in a transition trying to replace Mahrez and Gundogan with inconsistent young players. De Bruyne also isn't the force he's been. Fair play to Rice though; I thought he made good recoveries and gave us something defensively, but the Rodri comparisons must stop.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Ge gave us that extra defensive comfort abd also got forward when he good. He used his brain more than his legs yesterday which left us so secure for much of the game.

Batman

That daft yellow he got against Porto haunted us in the next 2 matches. He was nowhere near as robust and I'm certain it's because he had the potential suspension in his mind.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Not sure why but Rice has been chasing shadows in europe. Thought Porto was a one off but he was similarly struggling against Bayern. Just a touch slower than the Bayern players and technical ability one step lower as well.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Think we should all remember this is his first time playing at this level. International football is a lot different and the Conference League is levels below.

That said, he is and will always be a no.6 for me. He’s at his best breaking up play, driving from deep and switching possession. He can be effective further forward, especially against lesser opposition but the man is a defensive midfielder.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Not sure why but Rice has been chasing shadows in europe. Thought Porto was a one off but he was similarly struggling against Bayern. Just a touch slower than the Bayern players and technical ability one step lower as well.
All his good games in Europe have been as the 6 tbh. When he's ahead of the ball he has virtually no influence on the game. He was so much better when the switch was made and he went to the base of the midfield. It's strengthened my feeling that we need 2 midfielders this Summer: one with a similar athletic profile to Rice and one who has the ability to progress either by passing, dribbling or preferably both.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
All his good games in Europe have been as the 6 tbh. When he's ahead of the ball he has virtually no influence on the game. He was so much better when the switch was made and he went to the base of the midfield. It's strengthened my feeling that we need 2 midfielders this Summer: one with a similar athletic profile to Rice and one who has the ability to progress either by passing, dribbling or preferably both.
Enter Lewis Skelly for the second lol. Still a little too young. If he was 20, I have faith in his mentality that he'd be able to cope well. Another midfielder that I wanted was Camavinga. I felt like he would fit into this system so well. Imagine how terrifying him and Rice would be off the ball and Camavinga is really good on the ball too, especially in tight spaces.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Enter Lewis Skelly for the second lol. Still a little too young. If he was 20, I have faith in his mentality that he'd be able to cope well. Another midfielder that I wanted was Camavinga. I felt like he would fit into this system so well. Imagine how terrifying him and Rice would be off the ball and Camavinga is really good on the ball too, especially in tight spaces.
The thing with Lewis-Skelly is that he's got real game-breaking acceleration aswell. You don't notice how fast he is until you see him motoring away from people once he's past them. He's the perfect 6/8 we need but we need him to cook a little longer.

And yeah, Camavinga would be perfect if Madrid would ever let him go! I doubt they'd be so silly but they've let good players go before. I wouldn't mind taking another look at Manu Kone again, I haven't seen much of him this season though so I'm guessing his stock has gone down a little.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
The thing with Lewis-Skelly is that he's got real game-breaking acceleration aswell. You don't notice how fast he is until you see him motoring away from people once he's past them. He's the perfect 6/8 we need but we need him to cook a little longer.

And yeah, Camavinga would be perfect if Madrid would ever let him go! I doubt they'd be so silly but they've let good players go before. I wouldn't mind taking another look at Manu Kone again, I haven't seen much of him this season though so I'm guessing his stock has gone down a little.
Yes Skelly has all the physical attributes required apart from height and vertical leaping ability. Power, speed, agility, balance, core strength, robust body and a pretty good motor. Even mentally you can see he is tenacious and highly competitive, kinda gives me the same vibes of Saka with his mentality. Then you add things like spatial awareness, vision, creativity and swagger to the equation and he could be scary if he ever fulfills his potential.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom