• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Ajax vs Arsenal | 29/07/05

gstew

AFCG7 said:
qstew ... about Cygan.. the problem is the defense seems very hesitant when he plays as if they dont know what he will do. SOmetimes CYgan will play a game very well and then **** up immensely . I doubt there are many ARsenal fans filled with confidence when they see CYgan in the lineup.

Kolo Toure, who I thought had a very good game, was absolutely abused by the big Greek whose name I would rather not spell. On that play the Greek turned Kolo and got behind him in the box. Although it can and will happen to any defender, if that had been Cygan the fans would be screaming. Not a word was mentioned.

Kolo let Sneijder behind him in the first minute and Ajax should have scored. Not a word was mentioned.

Phil horribly misjudged a bouncing ball and the attacker was 1V1 with Lehmann. Not a word has been mentioned.

Cygan is judged by a different standard than our other defenders and is therefore almost always unjustly criticized. He is a good-not-great player on a great-not-good team. But he is misjudged by a bunch of horrendous-not-bad "fans". These are peope who want to feel better about themselves by writing negatively about someone. Since it is highly acceptable to write negatively about Cygan, they do so.

Just because one writes something bad about Cygan doesn't make that person an insecure loser. But it is probably the case.

Allyboy

Established Member
Cygan is decent against European opposition, in fact he can even be very good. He has time to compose himself and his distribution from the back is underrated.

Where he finds it hard is the hussle bussle of the Premiership, he does not get enough time to settle and as a result looks like he panics.

He was voted French defender of the year one season I believe, so the myth that he is a complete donkey is wrong.

He just does not suit the Premiership style of play, but he is worth having around for Europe.

gstew

AFCG7 --

I wasn't calling you a loser. I agree with you that seeing Cygan in the lineup should not fill you with confidence. Having your fourth choice in the lineup shouldn't fill you with confidence. Huth is a good player, but Chelsea fans shouldn't feel confident when he starts. Glenn Johnson is a good player, but Chelsea fans should not feel confident when he starts.

Legend#1

Established Member
Allyboy said:
Cygan is decent against European opposition, in fact he can even be very good. He has time to compose himself and his distribution from the back is underrated.

Where he finds it hard is the hussle bussle of the Premiership, he does not get enough time to settle and as a result looks like he panics.

He was voted French defender of the year one season I believe, so the myth that he is a complete donkey is wrong.

He just does not suit the Premiership style of play, but he is worth having around for Europe.

French Ligue 2 defender of the year.. equivalent to The Championship.

KingReyes

Established Member
Allyboy is right, Cygan has always been better when its come to the CL than in the premierhip as it seems the pace of the game in the EPL is too much for him at times.

There is nothing to get excited about whether good or bad about tonights game, it was just a friendly used by 4 clubs to gain match fitness.

gstew

Allyboy said:

Good points.....He would be a better player in a league with a different style. This was AW's mistake. Wenger predicted Cygan would get games with the French national team after signing with Arsenal. But the EPL exposed his weaknesses.

By the way, he was French Player of the Year, not just defender of the year at Lille. Just shows how much style of play can impact a player's performances.

"Following Lille's promotion to Le Championnat top-flight as second division champions in 2000, Cygan has been a vital member of a side that has challenged the established order in French football.

He was voted best player in the French first division by journalists with France-Football magazine in 2000/2001. "

Jkreffer

Established Member
Also we did try and sign Trabelsi last year bank8. But there were too many complications at both ends and with contracts so the deal never happened.

Spike

Established Member
We definetely need to strengthen as we struggled to penetrate an Ajax defence. We lacked firepower, yes we may have scored 17 goals in the last 4 games but who are those teams compared to the giants like AC Milan and Juventus?

We looked so poor, no drive, nobody attacked, nobody was able to complete the crosses. This just illustrates the need to buy an out and out striker.

Overall the match was exciting at the start, then for the next 70 minutes, it was so boring I almost fell asleep.

Hleb look's exciting, he can make play happen in times where we need a little penetration.

the dawn raids

Established Member
Wenger after the match:

"I'm an optimist. For every player you miss it's an opportunity for a young player. The good side is it will give a chance to the young players. He [Baptista] was, if not, our main target, but you have to accept that. We're not desperate. We wanted one player who could be a plus, a real plus, not just a good player. We wanted someone who could really give us more - or nobody."

I didnt see the game, so I can make no comments about today. but I do know we need a few players coming in; the kids arent ready for a full load of a whole Premiership season just yet. AND WE NEED DEFENSIVE COVER!

AFCG7

Established Member
Haha.. was waiting for a Luopli comment like that.

In my defense i did say that Kolo didnt have a good game and that Senderos looked tired.

I really feel we should go for Trabelsi again.. he is easily the best RB around right now and he wouldnt command an exorbitant transfer fee. I hope Wenger will try to get him.

Canuck

Established Member
Alot of conflicting views trotted out here. Some positives that I think most people agree on.
Eboue is coming along nicely. (I seem to remember alot of pi**ed off Gooners last January...how you like him now?)
Bentley has a decent shot at establishing himself with Arsenal.

Oh, and Hleb is a good signing. But I think that most people who are on the ball already knew that.

OneProudGooner

Established Member
Hasn't Hoyte looked good aswell? I think his mum was a runner so he's certainly faster than Lauren and what I've seen of him he's very good defensively.

Canuck

Established Member
I think that Eboue might provide a more attack minded option on the right so I wouldn't be suprised to see Hoyte shunted into a CB role if things get bad at the back.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom