• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Barnet vs Arsenal | 17/07/05

ccc

did rvp return the team? since he won't join the armsterdam tournament, this game might be one of the few pre-season games that he could play

Double_H

Established Member
from the way i see it Arsen wants 2 FWDs who can score goals in diff ways and CM who can shoot from out side the box which is what Our Legend Lacked

patrick42uk

Established Member
i dont believe wenger will use him central because i dont feel he is box to box enough. i dont feel he has enough defensively to play the role as it would be required in our system. anyway, i thought played behind the front two at stuttgart? that would make him perfect for a wide role in our system. maybe its just my perosnal prefernce, just like its your preference to see him central but i aint going to get into an argument over that. i'v had enough of arguing over a player's position with reyes. end of the day its down to wenger and wherever he chooses to play him, i'm sure it would be the best to get the most out of him as i'm hoping he knows more about the player's qualities than me and you.

Spike

Established Member
Yep, that was announced by Wenger in his post-match conference I heard.

Also to those curious about Hleb, he started of on the right, drifted into the middle a little bit, and in the second half, he played on the left. Seems like Wenger was trying him out across the entire midfield.

OoDy

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...e.asp?id=292298

The Arsenal boss did not expand on any interest in Jenas but dropped a veiled hint that a bid for the England international could be on the horizon.

"We haven't made an approach, for the moment, for Jenas," Wenger told Sky Sports News.

The FA Cup winners are also chasing Julio Baptista and have had two bids for the Sevilla striker rejected thus far.

Sevilla appear resigned to losing the Brazil international but Wenger again shied away from committing himself to a swoop for Baptista.

"Well, negotiations don't need to be in the newspapers," added Wenger. "When we sign the player we always inform you.

"I feel the club has the right to be quite secret with who they want to sign and where and how."

thegame24

Established Member
Im not suprised if Pires goes center

Thats the position he played when i realised he would be best player in the 02 season.

He absolutly dominated in the center for france during the confeds cup the summer before the 02 season and he was on fire.

koivu

Just got back from Underhill, a nice sunny day out.

I was quite surprised to see Christanval out there, I did not see this coming at all. I remember him doing fairly well at Barca and getting games for France. I have no idea what he's been up to lately, he seems to have fallen off the radar.

Another pleasant surprise was to see Hleb warming up. I wasn't sure whether or not he would be given a run today as his name wasn't on the provisional list on Barnet's website. I was quite anxious to get a look at this guy.

There were quite a few gooners out today, certainly more than I expected. I believe the announced attendance was just over 5,000. I had a nice view in the East Terrace until a Big John Stud(anybody remember the WWF wrestler?)lookalike came and stood right in front of me. What can you do?

It was nice to see the class that we had out on that pitch today. If you take into consideration all of the players that did not feature(Sol, Phil, Cole, Freddie, RVP, Gilberto, etc). Even with the loss of Paddy we've still got an AMAZING squad which will hopefully be added to in the coming weeks.

It didn't take Hleb long to make an impact, getting his first touch a couple of seconds in and scoring his first for Arsenal only 2 minutes later. He looks pretty good, confident and skilled with both feet. He dropped a number of beauty balls over the defenders onto the left side. All in all, I was impressed with him and can't wait to see more.

After Thierry slotted home our 2nd, Bergie's 3rd was a beauty. Can't wait to see the replay of that one. Was weird to see Hoyte slotting home for the fourth. Also worth noting was ol Pascal. I am curious to see how many fouls he committed! He took a piece out of a few guys :lol:

The first half was lively, the second not so much. It was good to see Bentley back out there, he's definitely got some skill and put on a decent showing. Also, our #19...I think it may have been Muamba, looked a good player. Lupoli came close on a few occasions. It's also worth noting that Chistanval moved up to centre mid at some point in the 2nd half.

All in all, it was great to see the lads in action again. It's been too long! A comfortable 4-1 victory, our first glimpse of Hleb, and a potential signing in Christanval made for an enjoyable few hours.

jester

Established Member
just got back. great game.
my man of the match - flamini, he was awesome, got every ball and dominated midfield. hleb was also good, great vision for moving the ball, you can see why he dominated assists. started on the right, then in second half when reyes went off he moved to the left. he linked with lauren great.
henry was catain, and bergkam scored an amazing goal. hoyte also done well.

asajoseph

Established Member
How did Christanval perform? Did he look like someone it was worth considering giving a contract to? He played a full game, I believe, so he must have made some sort of impression...

jester

Established Member
well, it was barnet and had little to do. he was ok when he needed to be.

oh, and hleb walked across off the coach, and no-one knew his name. i shouted it out, he turned and looked, so i asked him to sign my shirt, and he give me this sign to say he couldnt, he had to go in. i said c'mon and ut my arms in the air, and he just laughed and said sorry.
interesting to see bobby there, he wasnt in the squad annonunced

koivu

asajoseph said:
How did Christanval perform? Did he look like someone it was worth considering giving a contract to? He played a full game, I believe, so he must have made some sort of impression...

I though Christanval did fairly well. He wasn't really challenged too much at the back. At one point he went to pass the ball back to Mannone from about 30 yards or so...well he skied the ball and it looked worrying for a couple of seconds. Otherwise, he looked fine and I would welcome his addition to our squad. Poor Cygan...will he ever get a game?

jester

Established Member
well, it was barnet and had little to do. he was ok when he needed to be.

oh, and hleb walked across off the coach, and no-one knew his name. i shouted it out, he turned and looked, so i asked him to sign my shirt, and he give me this sign to say he couldnt, he had to go in. i said c'mon and ut my arms in the air, and he just laughed and said sorry. and he was number 8, but just because freddie wasnt there
interesting to see bobby there, he wasnt in the squad annonunced

dev_atdi

I'm really excited about how Hleb will (hopefully) come on this season. He could well be that "missing link" we've been after in the Champions League. Add Baptista and maybe 1 or 2 more quality signings and we're CERTAINLY a force to be reckoned with. Or possibly just with Baptista to fill Vieira's spot. Wenger seems to be on the ball with things anyway. Good result today.

Surprised about Christanval aswell. Haven't seen the guy for years. Very out-of-the-blueish from Wenger...we'll see!

jester

Established Member
the young italian goalie came on in the second half, he looked comfortable on the ball, and couldn't do alot to save the goal.
henry also done some hand signal with his fingers forming a 'T' when he scored

Allyboy

Established Member
Just back, had a good day, did anyone else hear the anti Ashley Cole chants? I swear there were some right be behind the goal we scored our goals in!

Got Henry's autograph and took pics of several of the players.

Might do a more in depth report later.

kin4ever

Allyboy said:
Just back, had a good day, did anyone else hear the anti Ashley Cole chants? I swear there were some right be behind the goal we scored our goals in!

Got Henry's autograph and took pics of several of the players.

Might do a more in depth report later.
picture please~ :)

Arsenal Quotes

Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom