• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jermaine Jenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

marhes26

What's new in Wenger's interest cooling?

I actually think Wenger has got a illness called Transfer-itis.

Dont slate me coz i think Arsène is a legend. I'm just frustrated at the lack of movement in the transfer market. I worry that a couple of injuries in key areas will see us stuffed.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
marhes26 said:
What's new in Wenger's interest cooling?

I actually think Wenger has got a illness called Transfer-itis.

Dont slate me coz i think Arsène is a legend. I'm just frustrated at the lack of movement in the transfer market. I worry that a couple of injuries in key areas will see us stuffed.

I agree, he sometimes can test ones patents can't he. :D

Corny

asajoseph said:
That's all part of being a good negotiator - knowing where to draw the line. If I were at Arsenal, I'd draw the line at 8 million, and seeing as that's where the bidding seems to be starting, I woudln't bother at all. Believe it or not, a million pounds is still a lot of money, even for Arsenal football club - you don't just throw an extra million in here or there, every bid increment is important to both the buying and selling club.

IF, say, I were negotiating for Jenas, and bid up to my maximum, and Newcastle didn't accept, I'd walk away. And if, as I was leaving the table, Newcastle called back and said 'Ok, 8.5!', you'd know that they'd pushed it too far, and would probably come back to the table at 8. If that didn't happen, you could still consider your options, consider your finances, and take Newcastle's price if it were their final offer.

Ow yes indeed, £1m per deal means the difference between being able to sign the players you want or being short in one or two areas than ideal.

Agree regards Baptista, I guess there is no way of knowing how much Seville wanted until you bid. If we bid £15m to begin with there's not a lot to move forward with, it's always good practice to have your first bid rejected to ensure you don't pay over what might have been accepted.

Perhaps we could have moved heavier and quicker in increments but who knows what the outcome would have been.

pfunker

Take a step back and think if we really need him!

I really don't understand all this fuss about JJ, he is an okay player, nothing special and certainly not world class, he might havethe potential to become a very good player but even then who knows.!

I think it is getting to the point where people just want a "named" signing, doesn't matter who it is or how good he actually is as long as he has a "name". Wenger has and I repeat has always stated he will bring people in if he deems them good enough and believes they will bring something "special" to the team....will JJ do this, personally he would be behind Gilberto/Cesc and therefore be on the bench, Wenger wants an attacking midfielder who will score goals, ie Baptista, JJ is certainly not this.

Lets wait and see what transpires, if he decides to make a bid, fine but even then I don't see him getting into our first team...

I trust Wenger to do what is necessary, he has the funds, if he decides to use them great, it's his choice and he lives and dies by his decisions, how many times has he failed us so far.....

A

Anonymous

ok pfunker, can you think of anyone else realistically enough available to get him, and anyway whats the point, we wont get **** all, not even a keeper, and im not happy about it! :evil:

A

Anonymous

oight lol, yeh well i heard that Arsène cant be bothered anymore and he's focused on getting a new keeper, cos apparently viera aint fit enough either :shock:

:roll: :x

pfunker

TBH there is no point going for a player for the sake of it and thats what I personally think Wenger would be doing with JJ. I do not know if Wenger has anyone on his mind, I am sure though if he does he is fully aware of the transfer deadline and will do what is necessary to try and get the player in... There is no point trying to second guess Wenger, he as an astute grasp of a players value as well as a second to none scouting network, we will find out soon enough if he decides to bring someone in.

As for the Viera situation we have no idea what is happening, the news source regarding his failed medical was the bastian of truth in football reporting, the Star......

I for one would find it strange for him to play for a club side and his country, only be 22 and not be fit...Then again you never know, however until it is reported by shall we say more newsworthy sources I won't bother listening to what just 1 paper reports.

Pikeypete

Agreed - why buy jenas when we have great youth in our side already. Who would you play with Silva, Cesc, Flamini or Jenas - I that order I would say.

Get ballack!

hollow

He'd be a decent buy for reasons already mentioned. It seems Cesc is 'replacing' Paddy, so we need someone to 'replace' Cesc. JJ would do for me.

asajoseph

Established Member
Pikeypete said:
Agreed - why buy jenas when we have great youth in our side already. Who would you play with Silva, Cesc, Flamini or Jenas - I that order I would say.

Get ballack!

Why get Jenas? Numbers - we're incredibly short.

Why not get Jenas? Because we could do better for the price he'll cost.

And I'm not a particular fan of Flamini at all - JJ is a better player now, and has more talent.

gstew

Pikeypete said:

Get ballack!

Jenas ahead of Flamini every day of the week plus twice on Sundays. I like Flamini, but he is a squad player. Jenas has star potential and is better than Flamini right now. I would love for Jenas to be our third choice CM.

gstew

asajoseph said:
Pikeypete said:

Get ballack!

Why get Jenas? Numbers - we're incredibly short.

Why not get Jenas? Because we could do better for the price he'll cost.

And I'm not a particular fan of Flamini at all - JJ is a better player now, and has more talent.

Asa,

Jenas will eventually cost us 9m (the price has reduced from 20 to 15 to 12 in short order). He is worth 7-8 plus the english premium. So 9m seems just about right. On whom would you spend 9m ahead of Jenas. Of the players I get to watch, I can't think of any. We discussed Ledley King in the past and he would most certainly cost more than 9m (and you said that you preferred JJ anyway). Obviously you would need to leave the EPL to find an Arsenal-quality player for that price.

Of course, if Ballack were available for that price plus reasonable wages, then my question is answered. Rosicky??????

Mark

Established Member
Aren't Dortmund in serious debt? Surely we could convince them to give us Rosicky for a decent price?

I'm not keen on Jenas. He'd be a squad player, and for squad players you do NOT pay £10mil. Money like that should be spent on improving us as a team, rather than adding a bit of depth and backup. That can be done with less money, surely.

asajoseph

Established Member
Considering Sp**s have allegedly had an 8 million pound offer rejected, I think Jenas is likely to go for closer to 12 mil than 8.

Nevertheless, I perhaps wasn't clear in what I said. Whilst I do think we could do better than Jenas for the same amount of money, we have enough cash available to do much, much better in terms of the overall quality of player.

I'm a big fan of Diarra, who I think would be available, Toulalan too would probably be available for even less than JJ, Rosicky is a name I like too - and I'm sure if I really put my mind to it there'd be others as well...

kel varnsen

Established Member
diarra would be pricey. reportedly inter milan had an offer close to €30 mill rejected. toulalan should be an option. as should both rosicky and bodmer. come on wenger; sign a midfielder!

asajoseph

Established Member
diarra would be pricey. reportedly inter milan had an offer close to €30 mill rejected.

Is that so? I wasn't aware of it... Shame we didn't try for him earlier really, before he signed that contract, but I guess Wenger has his reasons... Here's hoping they're good ones! To be fair, after suffering all that **** from Del Nido, and watching Aulas deal with Chelsea, I wouldn't blame Wenger for just not being arsed with dealing with Lyon now!

gstew

asajoseph said:
Considering Sp**s have allegedly had an 8 million pound offer rejected, I think Jenas is likely to go for closer to 12 mil than 8.

Nevertheless, I perhaps wasn't clear in what I said. Whilst I do think we could do better than Jenas for the same amount of money, we have enough cash available to do much, much better in terms of the overall quality of player.

I'm a big fan of Diarra, who I think would be available, Toulalan too would probably be available for even less than JJ, Rosicky is a name I like too - and I'm sure if I really put my mind to it there'd be others as well...

No, I understood your point. For Jenas money (which I believe would not exceed 9m) we can do better. I was just curious who you thought was better for 9m, or some approximate amount. I have only seen Rosicky play a few times and really like what I saw. And he has a great reputation. The price could be right as we could possibly take advantage of BVB's hardships. But I consider him to be in the Hleb mold. And I would prefer better cover for Gilberto than Flamini.

I have no opinion on Diarra or Toulalan and would just have to take people's word that they are exceptionally talented. I watched the second half of the Rennes/Nantes match this weekend hoping to see Toulalan and was disappointed that he was already substituted. Did he get injured?

JGooner

The most basic point about transfers is that, if you want a player, you pay the market price, and the market price is not what you personally judge to be appropriate but whatever the latest highest bid is. If you don't pay it, someone else will. We have difficulty grasping this. I'm not making any specific point about Jenas, but about our general attitude.

As a club, we seem to approach a transfer with our own personal valuation of a player's "true" value and refuse to pay anything above that, even when we can actually afford it. That's fine from a moral perspective, but ultimately someone else gets the player. When Chelsea win the title this season, nobody is going to be impressed when we say "ah, yeah, but they overpaid for a couple of their players, whereas we got Hleb for a reasonable price". Part of being a big club is overpaying to get your man. It is a short term sacrifice to secure a long term gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, May 22

Manchester United have joined Arsenal in the race to sign Ajax LB Jorrel Hato, but the player prefers a move to North London [HITC]

Benjamin Šeško will decide before the Euros whether he wants to leave Leipzig or sign a new contract [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have made an official offer of €20m + €5m add-ons to Fenerbache for LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Sabah Spor]

Arsenal are interested in Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow [Telegraaf]

Justin Bijlow could be available for around £10m [John Cross - The Mirror]

Newcastle are adamant Bruno Guimaraes will not be leaving the club unless his release clause is triggered [The Telegraph]

Arsenal admire Newcastle forward Alexander Isak, but the club insist they will not discuss a deal for less than double the £90m price being mentioned in the media [The Telegraph]

Sambi Lokonga says he has decided to leave Arsenal and his agent is now looking for a solution [Chris Wheatley]

Latest posts

Top Bottom