• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL William Saliba (Loan)

Are you satisfied with how the Saliba situation has been handled?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It was half a season and he won the FA CUP against better teams.

Yes due to a disaster start in likely the strangest season ever which he turned round after xmas. Lost to the EL winners in the semi. It was hardly a spursy crash from the EL to Zargreb.

No but although it happens now and again these situations are normally outliers. The best squads normally finish at the top. French league is poor. Poch after over achieving largely at Sp**s underachieved at PSG. We know however the power in the dressing room at that club is hard to handle for any manager.

They certainly have a miles better squad than us, Its easily one of the best in Europe dont think lampard lost a game in the tournament?
They sacked him because after giving him loads of money it looked like he would struggle to get top 4. a top manager who was German became available so It was a great fit for them,

Well i think they have bought very well and have better players than many think. They certainly have more players playing in the Euros than us.
I think it was a freakish season though and they overachieved, It can happen especially when 'bigger teams' are in transition as we are. Its rather like when leicester won the league. It was the perfect storm all the current top 4 were in transition.
I will also bet hard cash they are not higher that us next season. Would you like the bet? :p

No and tbf Simeone has punched above his weight for sometime and looks like a top manager.
He has been allowed to do his job through stability and instigating a way of playing that the whole squad must buy into which is why he has been successful. Real & Barca the big 2 insist on the big names and are expected to play a certain way & again look like clubs in transition so he seized the moment. Athleti have been loyal to him & given him backing this wasnt an overnight success, In return he has remained loyal to them

Nah Unai is just a maestro in that comp (unless when hes here). Its a bit like saying when under arteta we beat Chelsea & Man City to win the Fa Cup. Better Squad?

Yes and every year most managers & teams do not.
Its easy to sack a manager but who are these nailed on success guaranteed managers that are gonna come in and overachieve with our squad?
3 of the best managers in the World are already here at top 4 clubs.

Everton and Sp**s both have aspirations for top 4/6 and they have recently changed managers.
Sp**s have been above us for a number of years now, Have a shiny new stadium & a few years ago made a champs league final.

After a long search They have managed to bring in Nuno.

Everton have an ambitious owner with money to spend and a decent squad, They have turned to Rafa.
They are both decent managers but im not sure they are gonna crack the top 4. IMO they will likely be competing for 5 to 8 where we stand.
Perhaps they will, Nuno probably overachieved at Wolves recently and Many thought Rafa did at Newcastle. They both are known for negative football.

So maybe we should sack Arteta and bring in one of these 'overachieving Managers' that are so easy to find. The one that will stroll into a poor squad and guarantee success and top 4 in the hardest league on the planet.
Pep, Klopp or Tuchel may be good shouts. Mmn that may be a problem?

Lets be honest after scouring the planet for these people, 2 clubs with similar ambitions to us Sp**s and Everton have come up with a couple of Pl retreads. Should we perhaps give David Moyes a call and see if he can be lured away from the Hammers?
Arteta at Arsenal has underachieved. That much is crystal clear. Another season 7th/8th or 9th shows 0 progress in 2.5 years.

6th and its touch and go. With one game a week 6th probably isn't good enough let's be honest.

5th a few points of top 4 is probably fair and acceptable. Presuming City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United are ahead of us.

With Leciester/Sp**s in Europe and we need to be finishing minimum 5th. That will require a very good start in the league league consistent results.

My money isn't on Arteta doing that. And that isn't an agenda. I was for Arteta at the start. I wanted him to stay until around November when I'd had enough. This isn't me too stubborn to say I set my stall and not changing. I have changed my opinion based on what I have seen.

Any manager who is dropping 6 points against Wolves, Villa, Everton. Any manager who's signings have been poor. Any manager who's style of football is so boring and methodical and so dependant on having the perfect player in each position and if they get injured the plan goes to **** isn't a manager that I believe has enough about him to get us CL football. After all. He has failed to do that 2 seasons now. What is going to change in his 3rd to make it work?

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Might think playing for the OM manager will be better for his progress, doesn’t like the projects offered by the PL clubs. Might want to be closer to friends and family, and used to a culture he knows then go to Newcastle and be alone.

Tbh @OnlyOne, him being loaned out to a PL club would be preferable.

However, it's not like Ligue 1 is the French third division, like if he goes and kills it at Marseille (I'll be watching him more closely than season just gone by), that should be enough to get him a look in - in theory.

My only worry is that Arteta seems to be making excuses not to include the guy; if he did a Willock in the Premier league it'd be hard for Arteta to ignore it (especially as tabloids would probably start going on about Saliba), but if he does the same in France I feel like there's enough distance that Arteta might brush it under the carpet.

Time will tell I guess, for now I hope he enjoys his time playing.

Finesse

Disagree mate. Think we should have put him in the PL and indeed, suspect most on here agree.

Think it suits tricky Micky and Edu to send him to OM. It'd be a fkn sideshow if he went to Newcastle or Southampton and had a good season. Particularly if we are battling Southampton in the league
This is me trying to picture you as the fly on the wall during the discussion! :facepalm:

Goonger

To be honest, I'd love to believe the soundbites coming out from Ornstein on behalf of the club that they still see his long term future at the club, but to convince everyone of that they should be pushing for that contract extension now. If they let him go on another loan without extending I reckon tells you all you need to know.

At least Saliba will be playing some top level football with European games thrown in as well, I suppose that's a bonus for the player whatever happens.

zilfy

Hopefully it's just a case of Saliba needing to outlast tets. He'll be back with a 2 and a half years of ligue one under his belt and hopefully a new manager/DOF that believes in him.

I feel this could still turn out okay (shouldn't have to be like this though)

carlito'sway

Established Member

The loan deal is basically completely agreed.

Guendouzi at OM is basically a done deal as well. Loan with obligation to buy next summer. Arsenal will receive around £10m for the midfielder (as I predicted).
If Saliba had any interest playing for Arsenal, you can bet Guendouz will do his best to end it this coming season playing together. :)
On a side note, Sampaoli and Longoria are building a pretty good and exciting squad there for this upcoming season.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
And what if he agreed a two year extension before moving to OM?

Knowing our stupid board and idiot DoF, don't think that's happening. We usually start offering contract extensions once the player a) enters in to the final year b) performs surprisingly well

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
And what if he agreed a two year extension before moving to OM?
If he agreed an extension it would indicate the club and him viewed his future here.

That is what happens when loaning young players like this. It happened Zouma at Chelsea and Gilmour recently.

It hasn't happened here. Again for me it's a sign.

If both club and him are happy with the development pathway throw him an extra 5-10k a week and add another year or two on.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Tbh @OnlyOne, him being loaned out to a PL club would be preferable.

However, it's not like Ligue 1 is the French third division, like if he goes and kills it at Marseille (I'll be watching him more closely than season just gone by), that should be enough to get him a look in - in theory.

My only worry is that Arteta seems to be making excuses not to include the guy; if he did a Willock in the Premier league it'd be hard for Arteta to ignore it (especially as tabloids would probably start going on about Saliba), but if he does the same in France I feel like there's enough distance that Arteta might brush it under the carpet.

Time will tell I guess, for now I hope he enjoys his time playing.

It for would preferable to me and you, and Arsenal but if he didn't think it is then what can we do.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

If he agreed an extension it would indicate the club and him viewed his future here.

That is what happens when loaning young players like this. It happened Zouma at Chelsea and Gilmour recently.

It hasn't happened here. Again for me it's a sign.

If both club and him are happy with the development pathway throw him an extra 5-10k a week and add another year or two on.
His loan is not announced yet though, let’s see if we get a special treat along with that.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
It's weird how under Arteta, the only way for a young player to develop is on loan

I don't want to keep harking back to Wenger like @Makingtrax does, but my man Bellerin got into the team when he was what 19, 20? I didn't see him going out on loan to some top club to develop him and get his chances. Sometimes you just play the youth players you have

Foden didn't go out on loan to Palace before playing for City. Neither did Emile Smith-Rowe who the same Teta defenders said wasn't ready to play for us. Don't bring up Huddersfield in the Championship, Saliba has played and excelled on a higher level than that. Neither did Saka who just suddenly burst into the team.

Bring Saliba in ffs. He can develop while rotating too.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It's weird how under Arteta, the only way for a young player to develop is on loan

I don't want to keep harking back to Wenger like @Makingtrax does, but my man Bellerin got into the team when he was what 19, 20? I didn't see him going out on loan to some top club to develop him and get his chances. Sometimes you just play the youth players you have

Foden didn't go out on loan to Palace before playing for City. Neither did Emile Smith-Rowe who the same Teta defenders said wasn't ready to play for us. Don't bring up Huddersfield in the Championship, Saliba has played and excelled on a higher level than that. Neither did Saka who just suddenly burst into the team.

Bring Saliba in ffs. He can develop while rotating too.
The manager has to want to work with him for that to happen.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
The manager has to want to work with him for that to happen.
Exactly. You can say he's not ready or that Tets doesn't rate him, which is up to him, but trying to justify as if a loan in a league he's already played in is best for him is ridiculous at best. One of the nominees for best defender in Ligue 1 is evidently ready to play football for midtable Arsenal. We're not exactly title challenging Arsenal

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Arteta at Arsenal has underachieved. That much is crystal clear. Another season 7th/8th or 9th shows 0 progress in 2.5 years.

6th and its touch and go. With one game a week 6th probably isn't good enough let's be honest.

5th a few points of top 4 is probably fair and acceptable. Presuming City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United are ahead of us.

With Leciester/Sp**s in Europe and we need to be finishing minimum 5th. That will require a very good start in the league league consistent results.

My money isn't on Arteta doing that. And that isn't an agenda. I was for Arteta at the start. I wanted him to stay until around November when I'd had enough. This isn't me too stubborn to say I set my stall and not changing. I have changed my opinion based on what I have seen.

Any manager who is dropping 6 points against Wolves, Villa, Everton. Any manager who's signings have been poor. Any manager who's style of football is so boring and methodical and so dependant on having the perfect player in each position and if they get injured the plan goes to **** isn't a manager that I believe has enough about him to get us CL football. After all. He has failed to do that 2 seasons now. What is going to change in his 3rd to make it work?
I think far too much is expected of our bang average squad. I am confident if Arteta can shift some more dross & is given money to spend he will get top 6 and possibly close to top 4. As for signings he has had 1 summer window ffs. Its far too early to judge, the ones paid decent money for in Partey & Gabriel look like good players to me who will get better. As for the 2 or 3 frees or low fee ones yeah but tbh you tend to live & die on Big signings, not cover players. All clubs/managers make plenty of poor signings its just that we dont pay attention to them and use as a stick to beat the manager. Unless its a massive high profile mistake we dont really notice.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
This is sad. I hope we just sell him and he plays well enough to get a move to Real Madrid or Munich. It is painful right now, but becoming a distraction. I've given up.

I'm 3 weeks I will protest for Saliba and ArtetaOut vs Inter Milan in Orlando.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Arteta will most definitely get the sack by November. There is absolutely no chance of him seeing out the next season regardless of us spending 100, 150 or 200 million pounds this summer. He's a piss poor coach and is out of his depth and I don't see any improvements coming from him going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 26

Talks have taken place between Marcus Rashford and Mikel Arteta [AFCamden]

Nothing is decided between Arsenal and Emile Smith Rowe [Fabrizio Romano]

Latest posts

Top Bottom